Let's_have_dinner

Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

That is the closest we could get since we don't have access and right to giggle at the crime scenes, not that I want to.

Aiz, I think if I have access to those I'd love to try.

• Like 1

Just dawned one me, I could maybe put this here...

Yesterday I went to hear the wonderful Ian McKellen, make a presentation at the Dundee Repertory Theatre.

He was hilarious, but the one funny story he told relevant to here, was this:

He was saying how he gets totally fed up with nobody being able to spell his name correctly.

He said it got so bad, at one time he actually thought of changing his name.

He said at the time he was working with Timothy Carlton,  his wife Wanda had just given birth to their son.

Anyhow, Timothy said this to Ian :

"I know what you mean.  Would you believe that my real surname is 'Cumberbatch'? I mean, can you ever imagine any actor having a successful career with a name like that!"

It did get a laugh.

Although naturally, I worked out the punchline before others!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Has anybody else noticed eggshells getting thinner recently?

They always have been "as think as eggshells," of course, so I've always been careful with raw eggs, so as to neatly crack them rather than smash them.  In fact I'm sometimes a little too careful, and need to tap them again.  But here lately, I'm just as likely to overdo it a bit, so that a significant fraction of the whites need to be cleaned off the counter.

Could be that I'm just getting clumsy, but it does seem to me that the shells are noticeably thinner than before, even with the eggs that we get from our chiropractor, whose hens get to run around the yard all day, just like chickens did way back when.  I need to remember to ask her whether they get any mineral supplement.  When I was a kid, our hens always had a pan of cracked-up oyster shells to peck at.

Not recently, no. In fact, I had eggs for breakfast this morning, and the shells seemed about the same as usual. Maybe you need to do some hand strengthening exercises? :P 

More like hand-weakening exercises -- so that I don't demolish the eggs that I'm merely trying to crack.

• Haha 1

Played some kind of chess with my niece and won everytime. She is very bright and held herself very well, but there is no way I'm going to be a chill adult and give in. Do you know how boastful and obnoxious a kid is if they won ONE time over a game you introduced them? No, No, Nope-D, you are young, you have a lot of chance to have glory in your life. Winning this is all I have now, so let you learn that life is not rosy and losing sucks, kiddo.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Besides, losing builds character.   :D   She'll thank you later.

• Haha 1

Oh my. I remember how upset my sis and her hubby were with me because I wouldn't let their oldest win at whatever game we were playing. I was a baaaaaaad aunt.

With the other three (a niece and my bro's 2 boys) nobody said a word if I clobbered them. Guess which one of the four developed behavioral problems? :rolleyes: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Awwww, I missed the conference!  Grrrr!!

At least I still have time to go see the exhibit...

"Dark Places, Wicked Companions, and Strange Experiences"

On August 8-11, 2019, The Norwegian Explorers of Minnesota, the Friends of the Sherlock Holmes Collections at the University of Minnesota, and the University of Minnesota Libraries will hold a conference to surprise and entertain attendees with the many dark places, wicked companions and strange experience that Mr. Holmes and other characters have encountered. The conference will be held at The Graduate Hotel on the U. of M. campus with an accompanying exhibit at the Elmer L. Andersen Library, home of the Sherlock Holmes Collections at the University of Minnesota

The conference will feature presentations by a stellar group of Sherlockians, vendor tables, a dramatic performance by the Red-Throated League of the Norwegian Explorers, and the Annual Meeting of the Friends of the Sherlock Holmes Collections at the University of Minnesota -- the worlds largest collection of Sherlock Holmes-related material.

The new exhibit of archival materials from the UMN Sherlock Holmes Collection will remain open at Elmer L. Andersen Library through October 25, 2019.

• Thanks 1

Artemis,

Did you get to see this?  Looks like it would have been interesting!

No.  I wish.  :( 

On 8/28/2019 at 2:37 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Besides, losing builds character.   :D   She'll thank you later.

Yah, she needs it, she is 13 years old. I should say teenager, the more she needs the education :happy:

Anyway, I was quite happy meeting my teenager niece and nephew. Been hearing many not so great news about how they had changed and being 'annoying' now while they used to be very adorable and were always happy to see me. Now, according to others, they dislike everything and moody. So I was cautious in the beginning and wanted to minimize my interactions.

To my surprise, they were asking me about the math puzzle game I introduced to them two years ago, the one that able to pry away their attention from their gadgets, which I happily showed them again of course. To add into that, they were actually very into a very nerdy show that I like (that no one else want to watch including you guys! *judgemental face*) which really made this old heart happy. This result in us creating and practicing the chess game. They also shared personal stories, while we were having meal with my brother, their dad, or when they were only with me, which my brother said he couldn't communicate that way because of parent barrier. It's quite sad because their stories are actually the kind that parents would want to know, like the times they experienced creepy strangers, puppy love, or things they like. 

On 8/29/2019 at 7:04 AM, Arcadia said:

Oh my. I remember how upset my sis and her hubby were with me because I wouldn't let their oldest win at whatever game we were playing. I was a baaaaaaad aunt.

Oh no no no, I let friend's kid won monopoly once and I never heard the end of it. Don't let them fool you! And kids cheat and make their own rules, those little...

Anyway, I have to admit that beside all that, I'm actually very competitive and hate losing, to anyone! Sue me!

• Like 1

This is depressing nightmare, my life is a lie.

15023410-ts9vd1319h521-1566377770-728-c2

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Today I spent almost 2 hours with two bank counsellors. But I smiled often because one of them looked like Culverton Smith. I suppose having a Jim Moriarty lookalike would top it, but I'm not THAT picky. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/31/2019 at 4:07 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Yah, she needs it, she is 13 years old. I should say teenager, the more she needs the education :happy:

Anyway, I was quite happy meeting my teenager niece and nephew. Been hearing many not so great news about how they had changed and being 'annoying' now while they used to be very adorable and were always happy to see me. Now, according to others, they dislike everything and moody. So I was cautious in the beginning and wanted to minimize my interactions.

To my surprise, they were asking me about the math puzzle game I introduced to them two years ago, the one that able to pry away their attention from their gadgets, which I happily showed them again of course. To add into that, they were actually very into a very nerdy show that I like (that no one else want to watch including you guys! *judgemental face*) which really made this old heart happy. This result in us creating and practicing the chess game. They also shared personal stories, while we were having meal with my brother, their dad, or when they were only with me, which my brother said he couldn't communicate that way because of parent barrier. It's quite sad because their stories are actually the kind that parents would want to know, like the times they experienced creepy strangers, puppy love, or things they like. 

Oh no no no, I let friend's kid won monopoly once and I never heard the end of it. Don't let them fool you! And kids cheat and make their own rules, those little...

Anyway, I have to admit that beside all that, I'm actually very competitive and hate losing, to anyone! Sue me!

Good for you, giving your teenage relatives a chance! You sound like the kind of aunt I would have liked to have. 

• Like 1

Thanks T.o.b.y, to be honest, I'd be too chicken to approach them if they didn't approach me first. I always try not to be where I think I'm not welcomed, and teenage world is definitely something I wouldn't try to fit in.

I think the irony (I mean, the blessing :p) is, they probably relate to me more than others because I don't have kids, I don't talk about usual stuffs like other member of the family and of course, I don't have the maturity of a grown-ups.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/5/2019 at 11:57 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Thanks T.o.b.y, to be honest, I'd be too chicken to approach them if they didn't approach me first. I always try not to be where I think I'm not welcomed, and teenage world is definitely something I wouldn't try to fit in.

I think the irony (I mean, the blessing :p) is, they probably relate to me more than others because I don't have kids, I don't talk about usual stuffs like other member of the family and of course, I don't have the maturity of a grown-ups.

I have a young lady in my latest watercolor class, about 13 or so. Most of my students are adults, and the rest of this particular class is all retired ladies. When they get to talking about emotions and relationships and such, the teenager is just riveted. I've noticed that several times with teens; they really are interested in what older folks have to say, even if they try not to show it (which would be uncool. :smile: ) I think many of them have a real desire to connect with adults, since they're on the verge of becoming one themselves. (I don't recall that I ever did; I much preferred being a child. :D ) And they like not being talked down to.

• Like 4

Got the same experience with teens in tutoring. Just be honest with them, drop that adult claptrap about "the golden years of childhood" (were those people even teenagers once or are their memories that bad?) and the questions start coming. 

• Like 3

I think it's a good idea to treat everyone with respect, and everyone above a certain age as simply fellow human beings.  (That "certain age" depends on the individual -- I know a very mature young man of eight, for example.)  And I'm not just talking about dealing with young folks, either.  Several times while chatting with younger adults, I have been taken aback by a comment that indicates they're categorizing me as "someone Mom's age" rather than as a fellow adult.  I feel marginalized.  Of course I am about their mother's age, and I certainly wouldn't mind questions about what things were like before they were born -- but I'm not treating them like children, and I'd appreciate them not treating me like an "old lady" either.

• Like 2

Yes to all, I remember being annoyed as kid or teenager when I'm not being taken seriously when I brought up valid point just because I was not an adult. And I remember all the annoying questions and curiosity of my private life from annoying relatives, which I make a point not to do.

I remember I really wanted to grow up fast so that I have a valid voice, wants and independence.

And now I'd prefer to be a kid when my main worries are skinned knee and unfinished homework.

Most of all, one main thing I'm really wrong about; I thought nap and going to bed early was a punishment, idiotic me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Do you guys have good stories of taking a risk and it pays off? Small little ones would do, no defying gravity needed. 

I think I took a lot of physical risks but can't remember any significant risk that needs a lot of mental  strength if I could avoid it. Although I know it's a risk worth taking, it'd be nice to hear good stories.

59 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Do you guys have good stories of taking a risk and it pays off? Small little ones would do, no defying gravity needed.

Not me, none of my risks have paid off.  :P  Sorry.

2 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I think I took a lot of physical risks but can't remember any significant risk that needs a lot of mental  strength if I could avoid it. Although I know it's a risk worth taking, it'd be nice to hear good stories.

My husband and I moved in together and soon married, while having met each other physically only twice (long distance relationship over the early internet) and, well, twenty years later we're still there. :smile:

• Like 4

Me and my best friend are a couple now, it's going to take some time getting used to it, considering we've know each other for years.

• Like 5

Yay Fantasy! Good luck to you both.

My biggest risk was when I decided to stop trying to have a "normal" job and become self-employed, and pursue my art. That led me to a very unique career, teaching at a non-profit arts center, which suits me perfectly. I'm poor, but enjoying my life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1