Let's_have_dinner

Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

The music tends toward the kitschy, the stage appearances even more so, and some people love it while others throw Song Contest parties with drinking games centered around overuse of the fog machine and such. It's still insanely popular, even though the people who earnestly say they like it for the musical performances (while they certainly do exist) are outnumbered by far by those who'd prefer a root canal to having to watch it sober.

Sounds about like the way I feel about ALL singing/talent TV contests.....

Thanks -- that jibes pretty well with the vague general impression that I had picked up somewhere.  The Eurovision Song Contest probably fills about the same cultural niche as our Miss America Pageant (or at least the same niche the Pageant occupied last time I paid much attention to it).

And I agree with you, Arcadia!

Caya described it well - and in a very entertaining way, I might add :)

The contest used to be more about the singing; people would get up on the stage and sing, but today there's lots of show to it. I don't love that part; still, it's a fun cultural part of being European... to some extent. If half of the singing is rubbish, it ruins it.

I think the Eurovision Song Contest is unfortunately not about the songs but more about political things now............

Isn't everything?  :(

Unfortunately, yes!!

So how is everyone? I haven't been around much lately, super busy with work (as always) but thought I'd just pop in and make sure you're all (mis)behaving ;-)

Oh, I've just been plotting how I would kill my friends. You know, the usual stuff. Sometimes it's sooooo boring without another episode of Sherlock... :D

What fun would it be if we couldn't misbehave....well....just a little bit.

I'm stopping work for the day and settling down with a nice dinner, a glass of wine and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Perfect :-)

Well, if y'all are too bored waiting for Series 4, Alex found a new "Which character are you?" quiz (from Radio Times last week).  We understood all the questions on this one!  They say he is Mary Morstan and I am (logically enough?) John Watson, which is fine with us.  :D

• Like 1

I took it twice....once for fun and then more honestly.....both times I come out with "Sherlock Holmes" go figure. :sherlock2:

I'm Mrs Hudson. Again :D 

I'm Sherlock Holmes... :lol: Well, there are parallels, I guess - if you leave intelligence, elegance and self-confidence out of it...

Yay, I got Molly! Geekitude and all.

I'm John too!!! :D  :watson:

I have replaced Series 1 & 2 of Sherlock that I lost in the fire so I'm pleased.   :wave2:

• Like 3

Alex was watching an episode of The Avengers (from the Honor Blackman era), and called me in to ask, "Does that other woman remind you of anyone?"  (That was just how he phrased it, no hints at all.)  I replied that she reminded me a lot of Amanda Abbington, and he confirmed that's who he was thinking of as well

The episode is "Second Sight" (1963), and here are links to one, two, three fairly good photos of the actress (Judy Bruce, also known as Judith Bruce) from that episode.  Does anyone happen to know whether Ms. Abbington comes from a family with any show-business history?  Could Ms. Bruce possibly be her mother, or her aunt?

I'm Irene Adler!

I'm Molly Hooper, unsurprisingly :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Ok, I tried one for fun as well, just exploring my darker side... and I'm Jim Moriarty :moriarty::lol2:

Hey! Help the newbie over here, she's lost in the forum haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can we help you find your way again, Raya?

I just did the quiz and I got Mycroft!  I would not have guessed that in a million years lol.  Got to make my whole family take it now. 

• Like 1

How can we help you find your way again, Raya?

Oh actually, I quite stayed a while searching on and about the forum, I'm getting used to it :) I wondered if it was the place here to really discuss randomly but yes, I'm alright! Thank you anyway, if there is anything again I will ask ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2