Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Speaking of ornamental pear trees (... 'Bradford' pears...), they're popping up in wild areas and vacant lots now, obviously planted by birds (which love the tiny pears they bear)....  I'm starting to wonder how long it'll be before they're considered a weed tree, and people stop planting them in their yards.

A web search revealed that I'm not the only one who's noticed.  In fact, this article says that several state and local governments are already in the process of banning the trees, and my Indiana is considering it.

That article also reveals who developed the Bradford variety -- the same geniuses who gave us the multiflora rose (as a "living fence") and crown vetch (as a ground cover for unmowable areas),  namely the US Department of Agriculture.  Those earlier introductions soon proved invasive too, especially the multiflora rose, which the USDA had touted as having sterile seeds.  Apparently it had not occurred to them to see what happens when a bird eats the fruit (to wit: its digestive tract roughs up the seedcoat, breaking the seed's dormancy).

The Bradford pear was apparently touted as sterile too -- but according to the same article, it's merely self-sterile (meaning that, like many other plants in the apple-pear family, a Bradford cannot be pollinated by itself or by another Bradford).  If can, however, be pollinated by other varieties (perhaps even by related species?).  Having seen my mother's lone Bradford loaded with seed-bearing fruit, I can testify that the pollen can come from pretty far away.

Yeah, that's about what I remember from living in Washington State; Easter was at the beginning of spring, where it belongs, not in the middle of it. It's been a perfect spring in Virginia this year; didn't start in February, like it usually does (dumb daffodils) but waited properly until March... and then stayed cool, so the flowers have chance to show off for awhile. And enough rain to keep the pollen down but not oversaturate the ground. The dogwoods are just past peak, the azaleas are just getting ready to put on their show. I assume this means we'll have a brutal summer.... 
I hope not, last summer was awful. One day it was 40 degrees Celsius, FORTY!

10 minutes ago, Fantasy Lover said:

last summer was awful. One day it was 40 degrees Celsius

For my fellow Fahrenheit users, that's over a hundred, almost as hot as it ever gets here in Indiana, which has a more continental (i.e., hot AND cold) climate than Belgium does.

You guys are making me jealous.  I actually like winter but I’ve been ready for spring for so long now.  Last year’s winter felt like two years, lol.  It’s 15 degrees here and I’m cold.

2 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I hope not, last summer was awful. One day it was 40 degrees Celsius, FORTY!

But what about the humidity?  :P 

We usually get a few days over 100 degrees in the summer here.  I start dying of heat after like 85 degrees (or less in high humidity), so it’s pretty much all the same to me at that point, lol.  Kind of like in the winter: Yes, -30 is colder than -15, but cold is cold.  I’ll be hunkering in the house.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

For my fellow Fahrenheit users, that's over a hundred, almost as hot as it ever gets here in Indiana, which has a more continental (i.e., hot AND cold) climate than Belgium does.

I remember seeing the heat maps of Europe on the news last year when they were talking about how bad it was and thinking, “That’s normal summer for us,” lol.  Not that I don’t sympathize; heat is dreadful, and if you’re not used to certain temperatures it’s even worse.  Meanwhile we were having a relatively cool July day at “only” 82 degrees.  It was a cool summer here overall, I hope to see a repeat of it.

OK, if 40 C is over 100 F, and the C degrees are almost twice as big as the F degrees, then 30 C would be right about 80 F?  Hmm, nope, not exactly, more like 86.  Yeah, that can be pretty uncomfortable if the humidity is high.  Heaven only knows how we survived Indiana summers back in the years BAC (Before Air Conditioning).

• Haha 1

A guy from California once taught me that 28 degrees Celsius equals 82 degrees Fahrenheit. I've found that helpful as a starting point.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Caya said:

28 degrees Celsius equals 82 degrees Fahrenheit

Well, 82.4, actually, but close enough!  :D  That's a cute coincidence, and easy to remember -- should come in handy.

It's even easier to remember that -40 C = -40 F -- but oddly enough that's hardly ever useful.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 8:56 PM, Artemis said:

I just saw a kind of precipitation I don't recall ever seeing before.  It was a brief snow-sunshower, but instead of flakes, the snow came down in tiny little snowballs.  They weren't ice pellets, like sleet or hail.  It's snow.  Does anyone know if there's a name for this kind of snowfall?

ef9d43c533b4fbb57f770e8afd0dd20b8fd8b2b5

65ba4eb8388fd570f61d2e0446b402a1573deea0

Anyone else see chocolate cake with coconut flakes?

For some reason I was craving for chocolate quite badly before my grocery trip, far and between. And I have opposite of sweet tooth, and chocolate is not my favorite treat, and tend to avoid anything with chocolate flavour. I guess my cooking is very bland or I just want some sweetness or whatever oxytocin it brings.

On 4/12/2020 at 5:05 PM, Fantasy Lover said:

Happy Easter everyone, here are some cookies.cbc4a16f13b50c8ca088e3c8ba4da721.jpg

Good God!

For a while I thought this is the warning cookies to wash hand, that we carry germ, then I thought it's probably made for people who miss handshakes (there are apparently) with a warning that every hand shake carries a risk symbolized by the red dot, then it dawned on me that this is Easter theme cookies!

On 4/12/2020 at 9:43 AM, Artemis said:

People right now, lol.

You know what, I really want that velociraptor costume,  it looks better than this T-rex.

1.jpg

This will be great for social distancing and help me out with my social anxiety, family gathering and work presentation during normal time.

• Haha 1

We stopped by the grocery store this afternoon -- and they had toilet paper!!!  Not a lot of different types, but a fair amount of each.  One fellow had his (small) shopping cart half full of it.

We still have plenty at home though (we've always tried to stay well ahead), so we didn't bother getting any.

Yah, I always try to stock things in advance, starting with habit of weekly grocery and had to fit everything is motorcycle, I have good stock of non-perishable stuffs as and when I could buy them. And toilet paper, I mean, I don't see it to be THAT essential. We are at home anyway, just go and clean yourself in the shower or whatever.

Anyway, continuing from things we should be able to learn from this situation from another thread, what do you guys think if WFH is made as common option, maybe like one or two days a week even when things are back to normal. For one, it helps the planet, polution, and climate. We don't need to go out everyday.

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Anyway, continuing from things we should be able to learn from this situation from another thread, what do you guys think if WFH is made as common option, maybe like one or two days a week even when things are back to normal. For one, it helps the planet, polution, and climate. We don't need to go out everyday.

I'd love to see it happen, but I don't think it will. I've got a friend who's working from home and she admits she's not getting as much work done. I suspect she's not the only one.

My sister is WingFH, and her office even supplied her with a second monitor. She believes it will continue. I suspect it will be a case-by-case basis.

• Like 2

My mom dislikes working from home because her colleagues treat the quarantine as a holiday and don't seem to be doing any amount of work.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Pamela said:

My sister is WingFH, and her office even supplied her with a second monitor. She believes it will continue. I suspect it will be a case-by-case basis.

In other words, the way it's always been. :D  I know some people who've been working from home at least once a week for several years. Just depends on the person and the job, I think.

I go through much the same routine as I normally do, just not in my uniform.

Except tomorrow when I am indeed going to work, altho we are not actually expected to wear our uniforms. 

10 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I have opposite of sweet tooth [...]
I guess my cooking is very bland [...]

Same here.  I hear that's a very German and Scandinavian trait.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I'd love to see it happen, but I don't think it will. I've got a friend who's working from home and she admits she's not getting as much work done. I suspect she's not the only one.

My father has worked from home for many years.  He spends a lot of the day napping and watching television, lol.

I'm sure some people are less productive working from home than they'd otherwise be.  But on the other hand, research has suggested that most people are only productive at work for 1-3 hours in an 8-hour day.  So one must question how much they were really getting done at work to begin with.  It's possible that being less productive working from home is more perception than reality.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, besleybean said:

I go through much the same routine as I normally do, just not in my uniform.

Except tomorrow when I am indeed going to work, altho we are not actually expected to wear our uniforms. 

Uniform? May I ask what you do? (Are you a spy? Wait. Spies don't wear uniforms.)

Ha ha.

No, don't worry it is a voluntary uniform!

We were given the opportunity to buy school polo shirts, fleeces and hoodies.

Though I was given a coat for playground duty!