Let's_have_dinner

Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I can generally remember my husband's cell phone number, and my one brother's, but as for my other brother's or any friend's number, I have absolutely no idea these days.  Used to be I could not only tell you any number that I called frequently, I could tell you what a friend's phone number used to be.

I do try to maintain my arithmetic skills by doing most calculations either mentally or on paper before double-checking myself with the calculator, but will admit that I'm getting lazy.  As for dates, I lost track of those when I retired.

22 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Related, do you guys feel dumber everyday?

I used to be good at mental math, and actually remember a lot of phone numbers and ID numbers, birthdays and everything. Now that I have smartphone that could help me with all that, I don't think I even remember those emergency numbers, I'm doubtful about my mental calculation and mix-up dates, I'd never able to precisely answer today's date in short notice.

They say you should force yourself to memorize things in order to improve/maintain good memory.

58 minutes ago, Artemis said:

They say you should force yourself to memorize things in order to improve/maintain good memory.

I've always disliked "memorizing" (in the sense of deliberately committing something to memory), as opposed to learning it in the course of using it.  My memory seems to be quite good, so I trust that learning is as good a brain exercise as memorizing.

I will also mention that I've been taking a supplement called PQQ that has very clearly improved my memory in recent years.

Maybe it's just a sign of you getting older.

15 minutes ago, Fantasy Lover said:

Maybe it's just a sign of you getting older.

Of course it is.  Everything is a sign of getting older.  I mean, what's the alternative?   ;)

I see what you mean, but from what I've read, what's normal with age is absent-mindedness, but that doesn't mean you actually forgot something, it just means you didn't happen to think of it.  Actual memory loss, as in you are no longer able to remember some things that you've known perfectly well for years, tends to occur more often in older people, but it is not normal.

I see, good to know. Maybe it's just the fact that you use less than you originally did. Math was required when you were at school, but in your job you don't use it anymore unless you work in NASA or are a math teacher.

31 minutes ago, Fantasy Lover said:

Maybe it's just the fact that you use less than you originally did. Math was required when you were at school, but in your job you don't use it anymore unless you work in NASA or are a math teacher.

I'm sure you're right about that.  It's the old "use it or lose it" situation.  Not all that long ago, people needed to keep using the math they'd learned in school, just to do ordinary things like balancing their checkbook.  Nowadays, if they don't just let the bank's website do it for them, they do all the math on their calculator.  And I've heard that students are allowed to use calculators in school, so they may never learn those basic skills in the first place.

Maybe that shouldn't bother me.  After all, hardly anyone knows how to ride a horse any more either, or how to grow their own food.  Maybe this is simply one of those things that only bothers the people who remember how it used to be.

I'm probably the youngest of this forum but I took horse riding lessons, but when I got the lesson of jumping I quit. I was really frightened of the possibility of my horse becoming scared and throwing me of its back. I'm pretty sure young people still want to learn it, as for growing food I can't say the same. 

On 3/2/2021 at 3:38 PM, Fantasy Lover said:

I took horse riding lessons, but when I got the lesson of jumping I quit. I was really frightened of the possibility of my horse becoming scared and throwing me of its back.

I took riding lessons also, and quit after a low-hanging branch knocked my glasses off.  They were OK, and I wasn't hurt either, but I didn't really have the money to pay for riding lessons AND perhaps a new pair of glasses if they got knocked off again.

On 3/2/2021 at 3:38 PM, Fantasy Lover said:

I'm pretty sure young people still want to learn [horseback riding], as for growing food I can't say the same. 

On 3/2/2021 at 3:40 PM, besleybean said:

Kids love growing stuff!

I suspect some kids nowadays think that both of those would be fun, but that's all it is to them, something to do now and then for fun.  What I was talking about was when most kids learned both of those things as a matter of course, because they were necessary skills for rural life, which was the life that most people lived up until very recently.  I can't offhand think of a current-day equivalent.  Using a computer, maybe?

On 2/14/2021 at 2:35 AM, Artemis said:

10 days out, here’s what I’ve experienced so far.

In the first couple of hours after the vaccine, shortness of breath and hot flashes.  A tad of numbness in my arm.

In the first couple of days, an extremely sore arm and heavy fatigue.

Right after that, I developed a very tender lump on my collarbone, which Google tells me is probably a swollen lymph node circulating white blood cells to fight off the infection.  I hope it’s that, anyway.

It’s still there, but as of yesterday, the tenderness is beginning to subside, as long as I don’t accidentally pinch or bump it.

How are you doing now?  And do you happen to know which company's vaccine you got?

My son and daughter-in-law both had their vaccine on Tuesday...

and were both consequently very ill.

Discussing with school staff:

1. Apparently young, fit people do suffer the worst...as their healthy immune system launches a massive attack on the vaccine.

2. Apocryphally, nurses have noted that those who have already had Covid, often have bad reactions to the the vaccine...

No I don't know which they had.

But they do live in Italy and there is a chance they did(unknowingly) have Covid, right at the very start...

I still can't wait for my vaccine!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, besleybean said:

My son and daughter-in-law both had their vaccine on Tuesday...

and were both consequently very ill.

Do you mean just a couple of days ago, or last week?  Did they say what sort of symptoms they had and/or how long they lasted?

Alex is scheduled for his shot tomorrow, or rather later today (Thursday).  I've got some other physical issues right now, and plan to wait till I'm feeling better, so that just in case I get significant side effects I'll be better able to handle them.  I hope!

Yes, 2 days ago...

my son phoned me first thing yesterday morning.

Said they'd both had rotten nights, his wife still wasn't out of bed!

Shivery, numbness, all down the side of his body of the vaccine.