Let's_have_dinner

Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

I've never had the flu but I have always gotten a flu shot, for at least the last 20 years or so. I worked as a medical receptionist for 17 years and it was offered, and encouraged, thru the office. I then got cancer 5 years ago and it has been definitely advised since then.

I don't recall having any reaction to the shot except a sore arm.

You probably never had the flu because you got the shot each year.
I wasn't that much at risk, having only few contacts at work and privately. But the numbers from 2018really got me thinking differently. It might turn out to be a good thing: people comparing covid with flu - the later could get more attention in the future. What we know now is that distancing, handwashing and masks reduced flu cases almost to nothing compared with the past.

• Like 3

Well, congratulate me everyone ... it's been over a year, with a lot of missteps, setbacks and emotional turmoil ... but as of today I own my own home. Woo hoo!

48FFNZ4.jpg

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

it's been over a year, with a lot of missteps, setbacks and emotional turmoil ... but as of today I own my own home. Woo hoo!

:D    :applause:    :boing:   :cowdance:    :bouncy:  

Congratulations!!!!!

That's such a homey-looking house, and such beautiful surroundings!

57 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

:D    :applause:    :boing:   :cowdance:    :bouncy:  

Congratulations!!!!!

That's such a homey-looking house, and such beautiful surroundings!

It's tiny, and the deck is almost as big as the house; which is okay by me because I love to be outside. And it is beautiful out there!

Congratulations! :bouncy: May it be a place for you to put down roots and feel truly at home. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

@Arcadia -- you've ditched your mask!  I've lost track -- are you now two weeks past your second vaccination?

8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

@Arcadia -- you've ditched your mask!  I've lost track -- are you now two weeks past your second vaccination?

About 4 weeks, actually, I just forgot to do it earlier. :smile: All of my students are vaxxed too, we can finally see each other's faces again, yay! 

Thanks for the congrats on the house, gang, it's a lot of work but it's worth it. (I hope. :D ) 

• Like 2

Got my second shot today. I think it's time to go to bed as long as I can move my arm.

As for ditching the masks etc. - we shouldn't be to enthusiastic about it. You can still get the Covid and give it to others, even if the risk is much smaller. I'm a bit concerned about the "cuddle parties", especially as people use fake certificates.

23 hours ago, J.P. said:

As for ditching the masks etc. - we shouldn't be to enthusiastic about it. You can still get the Covid and give it to others, even if the risk is much smaller. I'm a bit concerned about the "cuddle parties", especially as people use fake certificates.

I've never been really keen on being in close physical proximity to strangers, mere co-workers, et al., and I suspect the Covid experience is making me all the more averse, which will presumably become a long-term habit.  But I am definitely looking forward to being able to visit normally with friends, share meals with them, etc.

I do wonder, though, about the rule that (barring any stricter rules imposed by facility owners) fully vaccinated persons no longer need to wear masks in public.  As far as I'm aware, nobody has said anything about how staff members are supposed to know who's been vaccinated and who's merely sick and tired of wearing a mask.

• Like 1

OK, had my second shot day before yesterday (almost 47 hours ago).  My arm got more sore than with the first shot (and is still just a little sore), but nothing horrible or incapacitating.  I'm feeling sleepy, took a little nap, but that could be just the weather.  Other than that, no side effects.  So -- twelve more days and I can legally buy groceries without wearing a mask.   :D

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

OK, had my second shot day before yesterday [....]  I'm feeling sleepy, took a little nap, but that could be just the weather.  Other than that, no side effects.

On second thought, it may not be the weather.  I had to take another little nap later.  And I have hardly any appetite -- not feeling queasy or anything, just not especially hungry.  Not complaining, though -- I'd far rather take a few naps and eat small meals than feel flu-ish.

• Like 3