Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

On 7/8/2021 at 1:44 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Welcome back, Arcadia!!!    :tulip:

We live in what passes for the boonies around here -- in farm country, on a little gravel private road, a mile from the little blacktop county road -- and when we first moved in, delivery people couldn't find us because their GPS didn't recognize the address.  So I gave them explicit directions.  One guy tried to follow the directions, but by the time he'd driven through a little patch of woods (down a hill and across a creek and up another hill) he decided he must be lost, so he turned around and went back.  Mind you, this wasn't just some little local store's part-time delivery guy, this was a full-time professional delivery guy for either Fed-Ex or UPS (I don't recall which, but by then I was just abou Fed-UP).

So I phoned the company and explained the situation (nicely but quite explicitly) -- and before I knew it, the manager had driven all the way out from Indianapolis with our package.  Most GPS systems recognize our address now (except for ours, which describes our last hundred feet or so as "Naviga Ting Aw Froad").

But your house has been there for some time, so I'm not saying that's your problem.  I think you've done the right thing by switching to another store.  As for the new store's delay, sounds like they just hit a snag in the supply chain, such as is happening a lot these days.  Hopefully once they have your appliances back in stock (hopefully by August 11), they'll prove to be far more reliable than the prior outfit.

Meanwhile, I hope there are some good laundromats in your area!

Oi, laundromats ... when I looked, the only ones I could find (by looking online) were in areas known for their higher-than-usual-crime (mostly car break-ins and such). No thanks, sez I, and was trying to manage by washing everything in the sink. Then the stopper for the sink broke.

Fortunately I mentioned all this to one of my students, who knew of a nice place to go. They even did my laundry for me (for an extra fee, but it was worth it to be able to get my errands run while it was being done.) 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 1:01 PM, J.P. said:

There are times you think the whole Universum conspires against you. I know that it passes (like the proverbial kidney stone).

Yeah, I've done my share of cursing the universe lately. It's getting a bit tiresome. How long before it passes?

Okay, all these stories don't help with my imagination that you guys are staying at some fairy lands or something, when someone could crawl out below your house and say, my precious......

So I suppose your areas are considered as rural? Or something between urban and rural?

I guess I have never stayed in rural areas before, despite moving around various states, cities and countries. No wonder it's so refreshing and everytime I go holiday I would seek out nature. Although can't say I'm envious of the inconvenience. 

And @Arcadia, I guess you must be very patient (but understand the need to in that case) but if those happened to me, it would drive me full nut and I'd end up with colourful appliances because it would be gaaaaaahhh, wouldn't have the patience to keep on waiting.

19 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Okay, all these stories don't help with my imagination that you guys are staying at some fairy lands or something, when someone could crawl out below your house and say, my precious......

So I suppose your areas are considered as rural? Or something between urban and rural?

I can't speak for Arcadia's location, but mine is basically rural.  Our little neighborhood is surrounded by farm fields, and the places where we shop are all about half an hour's drive from our house.  We can't get city water or sewer or cable TV service, but we do have phone service and electricity (and natural gas is available).  The nearest neighbor's house is "only" about 250 feet (about 75 meters) away from ours.

We don't have fairies (as far as I'm aware), but we have seen some really spectacular firefly displays in our meadow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2021 at 11:02 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I can't speak for Arcadia's location, but mine is basically rural.  Our little neighborhood is surrounded by farm fields, and the places where we shop are all about half an hour's drive from our house.  We can't get city water or sewer or cable TV service, but we do have phone service and electricity (and natural gas is available).  The nearest neighbor's house is "only" about 250 feet (about 75 meters) away from ours.

We don't have fairies (as far as I'm aware), but we have seen some really spectacular firefly displays in our meadow!

It actually sounds really awesome, and sounds like holiday for me. But you don't have problem with internet, so it seems. So it sounds perfect!

Except when there is murderer out there, blackout, and late at night when you stay alone and your dog is howling at nothingness or worse, a pair of sparkling eyes that may or may not have some kind of axe or chainsaw on its hand, or swarm of blood thirsty rats that have nothing else to bother in 75 meter radius except you.... yah, I would like that place please.

Ah.. firefly, I love firefly, and actually travelled to purposely see firefly. The setting is always so surreal for me. Traditional boat, quiet, everyone shut up, dark, and all we could see are them. Not sure about now, the last experience I had was flip phone time, and phones were mostly kept aside in holiday because no service anyway. Now those bright screens and the desire to share every single experience to internet ruin everything.

12 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

... sounds like holiday for me. But you don't have problem with internet, so it seems. So it sounds perfect!

Yes, we are online.  And no, we're no longer relying on dial-up service.  Right now we have DSL service from our (landline) phone company; it's what I'd call medium-speed.  So if you'd be happy with that, you're welcome to come visit us!

Except when there is murderer out there, blackout, and late at night when you stay alone and your dog is howling at nothingness ....

Fortunately we do not have a dog.   :D

I love firefly, and actually travelled to purposely see firefly.

My favorite is when they do "the wave."  (The first time, I thought I was imagining it.)  But I haven't seen them do it lately.  Of course it never was all night long or even every night, so for all I know I simply haven't been looking at the right time.

• Like 1

I need to get something off my chest: I'm disabled, and because of that I had a hard time applying for jobs because I don't have a degree. And people who are autistic like me seem to end up doing either IT or working at an assembly line. I refused to work in IT because customers are entitled assholes, and I refused to work at an assembly line because people who work there are considered mentally challenged and because it's boring and repetitive.

Despite that I did two internships at a assembly line and one in a mushroom factory, at the end of my last internship I was fed up with my previous job where I was a dishwasher. So I was like if an assembly line job is the only alternative to this so be it, so I worked at an assembly line factory for the past month. Is it boring and repetitive? Yes, but it's an improvement to my previous job. Are my colleagues mentally challenged? No, most are normal. I feel like I wasted a lot of time, if only I wasn't so stubborn and swallowed my pride sooner I would have spared myself a lot of job hunting frustrations and stress.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I feel like I wasted a lot of time, if only I wasn't so stubborn and swallowed my pride sooner I would have spared myself a lot of job hunting frustrations and stress.

The important thing is that you HAVE learned this now.  And because it was a hard lesson, you're more likely to remember it and therefore benefit from it.

I might prefer the assembly line over IT work as well, because I think the most important aspect of a job is the people you work with.  I did temporary office work (typing, answering the phone, etc.) for a couple of years, and have fond memories of that job because the virtually all of the people were so nice.

12 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I refused to work at an assembly line because people who work there are considered mentally challenged

I've known a few people who actually are mentally challenged, and they're a lot like anybody else.  For example, most are very nice, though some have unpleasant quirks.  And (again, just like the rest of us) once they find a job that they're well suited for, they generally do good work.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 12:27 AM, Fantasy Lover said:

Guess who got engaged?

Wow! Woohoo indeed!

Actually, I just came here to let everyone know I'm still alive, still being driven crazy by my move, still hoping to be back on a more regular basis some day. But I arrived just in time for Fantasy's news. Way to go, girl! Congratulations!

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 3:17 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Actually, mine is a rather unique location, which is why I was so determined to find a home here in spite of certain drawbacks. Its a rural setting ... lots of trees, near a lake, low housing density ... but I'm only 15 minutes from the bustling downtown, where I work. Admittedly, it's a rather small town, but it's got it's share of urban sprawl ... but all the sprawl is in the other direction, because there's a river between my neighborhood and the rest of the area. And the river loops around my neighborhood, protecting us from new roads being built. Most importantly, there's no 1000 acre lots waiting to be gobbled up by developers; everything's small here. No McMansions, no strip malls, no fake "town centers." Just homes of all different styles and sizes. I love it. I just wish my own home had been a little lot better taken care of before I bought it. Still waiting for the rough times to pass. 😞 

On 8/9/2021 at 12:27 AM, Fantasy Lover said:

Guess who got engaged?

Congratulations!   :D

10 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

it's got its share of urban sprawl ... but all the sprawl is in the other direction, because there's a river between my neighborhood and the rest of the area.

If you enter Terre Haute, Indiana, from the east, you'll think it's twice a big as it really is, but once you get to the courthouse (the nominal center of town), you're only a couple of blocks from the Wabash River.  When the city was founded, the only way to cross the river was by boat, and by the time bridges were built, there were apparently already other (small) towns on the other side.  So Terre Haute is still shaped like half a town.

31 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

no strip malls

Just curious -- where do you buy your groceries?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 6:27 AM, Fantasy Lover said:

Guess who got engaged?

Congratulations!!! 🎉🎊💐

Woke up with the BBC Sherlock theme music stuck in my head. Methinks it's almost time for a rewatch of the series.

• Like 2

I can't even...

in one of my Cumberfan groups, there were loads of  pictures from Benedict at the Venice film festival, but none of Sophie.

The pics of Benedict and Sophie are fab, so I asked why they hadn't been included.

The reponse is that the admin never posts pics of Sophie, only Benedict and his work...

she wants to avoid argument.

I honestly give up..

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

😄 I always wake up to that music because it's my alarm. 

It's Alex's ringtone.

Do any of you know anything about a site called www.watchonline.guide?

I was searching YouTube for anything from a certain short-lived 70s TV show, and at the top of the results page there was a message from the aforementioned site, offering to let me stream the entire series for free.  That sounds good, but as far as I can tell, the show hasn't been available anywhere, in any form (aside from the opening credit sequence on YouTube) since it aired.

So is that site for real -- or do they just want me to sign up so they'll have my email address before they admit to not having that show?

8 hours ago, besleybean said:

I can't even...

in one of my Cumberfan groups, there were loads of  pictures from Benedict at the Venice film festival, but none of Sophie.

The pics of Benedict and Sophie are fab, so I asked why they hadn't been included.

The reponse is that the admin never posts pics of Sophie, only Benedict and his work...

she wants to avoid argument.

I honestly give up..

Huh? I don't understand... What kind of argument would a photo of an actor and his wife spark? 

Are some fans so jealous? Come on, guys (or gals I suppose in this case), even if he were single that wouldn't really change the odds of you getting with him either... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, besleybean said:

Some idiots do not accept Sophie, never mind the kids!

That seems so strange to me. 

But then, I have never really understood obsessing over real people. I go gaga over fictional characters but the actors who play them are only interesting to me in that capacity. 

I have been known to obsess over actors.

But I knew from the very start that Sophie was the one and always accepted her.

She seems lovely and they are clearly besotted.

I would never have stood a chance!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

That seems so strange to me. 

But then, I have never really understood obsessing over real people. I go gaga over fictional characters but the actors who play them are only interesting to me in that capacity. 

Yep. Agreed. 

There does seem to be a rather fervent fan base associated with Benedict.  I guess that's a good thing, most of the time or unless it gets out of hand, as it seems with a subset with a vendetta against his wife... ? It is kind of weird.

• Like 1