Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

On 9/14/2021 at 1:46 AM, DistantView said:

He was asked what were some of the more difficult things he had to do on set and one of them was smoke cigarettes with no filter

On 9/14/2021 at 7:40 PM, J.P. said:

I've heard they use nicotine-free ones, but maybe it's the smoke itself, that's getting worse without filters.

If it makes you feel better (I know it's not), cigarette filters are actually useless. They don't filter, they create the illusion that smoking is 'less' harmful, they make profit margin thicker, in some way, they actually make smoking more dangerous because smokers would use more effort to inhale, making whatever that are harmful go more deeply into the lung. The filters also contribute significantly to the negative impact for the environment. They are gimmick, scam.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:46 AM, DistantView said:

any cig, filter or no,  is disgusting imho.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't really care for people who knowingly pick up harmful habit to destroy themselves. But I care when they harm others. Secondary smokers, I can't tell you how many times I see a parent smoke at home or when they are with their children, even in frigging public. Smoking cigarette is burning money too, again, there are those who prefer to fund their cigarette addiction instead of buying something essential for their home.

Vape, don't get me started. Same thing, scam. And it's disgusting, this cloud of smoke is your breath, get the f away from me. No, raspberry smell doesn't help.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Smoking cigarette is burning money too, again, there are those who prefer to fund their cigarette addiction instead of buying something essential for their home.

The key word there is addiction -- nicotine addiction is apparently one of the worst.  I read once where a former addict said that giving up heroin had been easy, compared to giving up cigarettes.  So in a sense it's not the person's preference to spend their money on smoke, it's the nicotine's choice.

The actual choice the person made was smoking their first cigarette.

People are able to stop, though.  Most of them say it took a great deal of will power and dedication, but they're glad they did it.

15 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Secondary smokers

The statistics on deaths caused by secondhand smoke are appalling, to say the least.  I'm familiar with several research studies in which cigarette smoke exposure is studied in a controlled environment, and all of them require use of a fume hood and/or some sort of respiratory protection for the researchers involved.  Even brief exposure can have longterm effects or cause future health problems. 

15 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

The key word there is addiction -- nicotine addiction is apparently one of the worst.  I read once where a former addict said that giving up heroin had been easy, compared to giving up cigarettes.  So in a sense it's not the person's preference to spend their money on smoke, it's the nicotine's choice.

I have two separate female friends, that for some reason, very curious about how cigarettes taste like, and went on to try them, but luckily, they were never hooked.

I know people who are able to quit cigarette quite easily, in fact, I am with one who decided to quit just like that and he haven't touched one for twenty years. However, on the other hand, I know many who couldn't. 

But like you said, it's all the matter of willpower, and if you can't do it yourself, seek help. Because imo, it's very messed up if you are knowingly harming your loved ones.

I've stayed in places where people take smoking nonchalantly. There are almost no rules, they smoke in crowded public spaces, and worse, even indoor (AC or natural ventilation), and trust me, smoke in AC room is so unbearable, it also lingers long after the smokers are gone. It happens in restaurants, coffee shops, airport, bars etc and the owner didn't give a fish. It's consider good if they have allocated smoking area but it is always adjacent to non smoking and you could smell them. And as mentioned, even when you are in outdoor space, other person's vaping smoke travel far. Unlike cigarette, it is very visible and obvious that you are about to inhale that. Those are in public, many people don't really care when they harm strangers.

But at home, I'd say that is the most irresponsible thing to do, especially when they have children. If one don't have enough will power to protect their family from their own irresponsible behaviour, something that is arguably very preventable, I would say they don't deserve them.

Sometimes it takes real life-threatening event (example, my father) to stop, and sometimes it is still failed to do so. Perhaps besides willpower also there's difference between the receptors at the brain that rewards pleasure. I am not sure what it is called, it has been awhile since the last time I researched the mechanism of addiction at human beings. 

There's a matter of responsibility and desire to keep our loved one safe, but could it truly triumphed over biological mechanism, especially if it is already being permanently altered by long time exposure to certain substances? Our ability to adapt could be  two edged sword sometimes. 

Yesterday I read about the pro and contra about the acceptance of obesity these days. Apparently one of the reasons why some people finds it difficult (if not impossible) to stop eating in big portions is because they're using food to distract themselves from their problems. Do you think that it could be the same with smoking/vaping? Not telling that we should just accept addiction, in whatever form it takes, but in my thinking if we wants to solve a problem why not trying to understand the anatomy and mechanism, in hope that we could create solutions that benefits all involved people and create the most minimum damages for everyone? What could we do if we are in position of affecting the addicted person, and what we could do if we are not? In macro and micro scope. Addiction is a complex problem that keeps changing its shape.

• Like 1

Moral dilemma...

well not really, but just thought I would chuck it in here, in case anybody is interested.

If any mods think it's too divisive, please feel to delete.

On booting up my Twitter this morning, I was greeted with a tweet from a Sherlock account I follow.

The owner had screen shot from another account, which is apparently run by a Sophie hater.(I assume this forum is familiar with those saddos)

Anyhow the girl was announcing that if any of us followd this account, she would block us as well as  said hater.

So I asume she will block me, as I have'nt unfollowed or blocked the other account...though she does seem pretty vile about Sophie.

I just don't block people.

15 hours ago, besleybean said:

I asume she will block me, as I have'nt unfollowed or blocked the other account...though she does seem pretty vile about Sophie.

I just don't block people.

From what you paraphrased her as saying, though, it would be adequate for you to simply unfollow the hater.  Assuming that you care whether the hater-hater blocks you.

On 9/23/2021 at 2:51 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

it's all the matter of willpower, and if you can't do it yourself, seek help. Because imo, it's very messed up if you are knowingly harming your loved ones.

... and that's not just the second-hand smoke kind of harm, it's also the kind where they're deprived of your presence because you died from lung cancer or emphysema.  Besides which it's not cool to harm yourself, if only for your own sake.

On 9/23/2021 at 2:51 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I've stayed in places where people take smoking nonchalantly. There are almost no rules, they smoke in crowded public spaces....

Are you talking about the 1960's and 70's?  That's exactly what it was like.  My apartment mates and I didn't smoke, but we always had an ashtray on our coffee table, as a courtesy (!) to any visitors who might want to smoke.  And there weren't even any so-called non-smoking areas in restaurants till later than that.  Smoking was even allowed on airplanes -- talk about confined spaces!

On 9/23/2021 at 3:57 AM, Shadow Dweller said:

Not telling that we should just accept addiction, in whatever form it takes, but in my thinking if we wants to solve a problem why not trying to understand the anatomy and mechanism, in hope that we could create solutions that benefits all involved people and create the most minimum damages for everyone?

That sounds like a good long-term goal.

9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Are you talking about the 1960's and 70's?  That's exactly what it was like.  My apartment mates and I didn't smoke, but we always had an ashtray on our coffee table, as a courtesy (!) to any visitors who might want to smoke.  And there weren't even any so-called non-smoking areas in restaurants till later than that.  Smoking was even allowed on airplanes -- talk about confined spaces!

Ugh, I recall those days (well, the 70s anyway)... eternally grateful that I grew up in a non-smoking household. I had a friend in grade school whose house I would sleep over not infrequently and both her parents smoked like chimneys and my pajamas reeked of cig smoke when I got home every time.

I also recall when they banned smoking in bars and pubs, which was later than in restaurants. 1998 and I was in San Francisco visiting a friend right when the law passed. We were hitting up some bars, etc. and all the bartenders left the ashtrays on the tables out of spite because they thought their businesses would tank otherwise (and understandably I guess).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DistantView said:

I had a friend in grade school whose house I would sleep over not infrequently and both her parents smoked like chimneys and my pajamas reeked of cig smoke when I got home every time.

Back when smoking was still allowed in restaurants and on airplanes, we would get home reeking, as you say, and would have to hang our coats and other clothing in the kitchen to air out overnight.  But that was a while ago, thank goodness!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 11:03 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Are you talking about the 1960's and 70's? 

Sadly, no. It's as recent as 2019, when I still went around.

But who am I to complain, Buckingham Palace is clearly air-conditioned and it was okay to smoke, apparently. I'd just do what Sherlock do, and find a place to display stolen ashtrays.

• Haha 1

It's a stupid question, I am not ancient but I might as well be.

Tips to twitter? 

Does one have to actively follow or search for people? But what do I search?

I have put in my interests and hope to see interesting tweets show up, is that how it works?

Gah.

Twitter is a bit of chaos first you look at it. It takes time to get used to it after being in those well structured forums. :) 
You can look for certain people (I started with following Sherlock staff and some fans) or e.g. News agencies. Or artists you like. Musicians. Or look for "Trends" which shows what themes are discussed the most.

Don't get scared by the rough tone sometimes. Don't hesitate to use that "Block"-button, even preventively. Your experience is very much dependent of what you choose to look at and what to ignore.

After Twitter gets to know you better you will get content that might interest you (well, most of the time)

You can start with following me. :D BTW, there is a translation function that works quite well with  european languages (and can be a great source of amusement if it comes to e.g. Korean or Arabic.)

• Thanks 1

On a completely different subject, covid restrictions loosened here you no longer have to wear a mask at work or in public places, only on public transport. It feels weird to walk around without one, though I think we will have to wear a mask again because the numbers are climbing again. How are restrictions at your place ?

37 minutes ago, Fantasy Lover said:

How are restrictions at your place ?

For a while, most stores said that fully-vaccinated people didn't need to wear masks, but now they're saying masks are recommended or strongly encouraged or the like.  I don't see many people wearing them, though, except in places (e.g., medical offices) where they're still required.

12 hours ago, J.P. said:

Twitter is a bit of chaos first you look at it. It takes time to get used to it after being in those well structured forums. :) 
You can look for certain people (I started with following Sherlock staff and some fans) or e.g. News agencies. Or artists you like. Musicians. Or look for "Trends" which shows what themes are discussed the most.

Thanks, I did try to look for some and found some, mostly people whose works I already enjoy (podcast, youtube contents). I want to look for interesting commoners because personally, I'm not really interested in celebrities unless they are doing something interesting (so many interesting words!), but you are right about people behind the scene. 

I was thinking of Sherlock but when I searched for it, I saw a couple of Johnlock posts and ran away screaming, I remember the stories you guys share about those and I don't know, some fandoms scare me.

12 hours ago, J.P. said:

Don't get scared by the rough tone sometimes. Don't hesitate to use that "Block"-button, even preventively. Your experience is very much dependent of what you choose to look at and what to ignore

You mean there are mean people in internet? :D

Yah, I am not looking forward to that, hopefully I'm able to detach myself. I like good debate but most likely the ones that are common are empty intangible arguments that I don't care about. Thanks for the warning.

12 hours ago, J.P. said:

After Twitter gets to know you better you will get content that might interest you (well, most of the time)

Currently I don't get many content suggestions that I like, or at all. So most times I look at it blankly or try to search for it but I'm not sure. It's also still confusing to me. I'm 'quite' familiar with instagram, with those handle and hashtags. I think it's about the same but twitter looks very messy to me.

12 hours ago, J.P. said:

You can start with following me. :D

I was about to ask, how, then I see it! Don't tell me, I'm very proud of discovering it. :D

Will you know it's me? I'm too shy if that makes sense, iIt's ridiculous actually, because I don't disclose much there too. 😁

11 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

On a completely different subject, covid restrictions loosened here you no longer have to wear a mask at work or in public places, only on public transport. It feels weird to walk around without one, though I think we will have to wear a mask again because the numbers are climbing again. How are restrictions at your place ?

We always have mask mandate here, fortunately we don't have too many of those who refuse to comply or freedom-fear shit (when they are not caught), but I could see many people walking around without those. Personally, I never stop wearing it in public. Safety, and I actually like hiding behind it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 1:15 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I dropped by the forum sometimes ago but then didn't want to log in because I saw news about Una. I know nothing about her  in real life, but from very little thing that I read about her, she was a lovely and wonderful person and I love Mrs. Hudson. I won't go as far as saying that I feel sad but I'll miss her works.

Hello, all, remember me? :smile: Man, I never meant to be away this long, but ... well, there's been a lot of stuff going on, most of it not good. But for now, I just want to say how sorry I am to hear about Una Stubbs. This is my first time hearing it. She just seemed so delightful both on and off screen, what a loss. Rest in peace.

On 9/13/2021 at 2:38 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Question about preference:

When you read a book, do you prefer that the chapters have titles, or just numbers?

Titles. Helps me remember where I left off when the bookmark falls out, which it often does, and also often helps me remember what the chapter contains.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:10 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Just curious -- where do you buy your groceries?

There's an Aldi grocery store about 10 minutes from here. What they don't have, Walmart (another 5 minutes) or Harris Teeter (on the way home) will. Also there's a Food Lion about 5 minutes up the road but they're in the other direction so I almost never go there; FL's never been my fave grocery store anyway.

Or I could just step out my front door and shoot a deer. 😁

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2021 at 1:30 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

We always have mask mandate here, fortunately we don't have too many of those who refuse to comply or freedom-fear shit (when they are not caught), but I could see many people walking around without those. Personally, I never stop wearing it in public. Safety, and I actually like hiding behind it.

Since I'm here...

Mask mandates have become pretty relaxed around here, but I've noticed that most people still wear them when in places with a lot of people (like grocery stores :smile: ) A lot of people still wear them walking about on the streets, but I don't. I would in a crowd, but not just strolling down the sidewalk. And I'm afraid I'm getting worse about remembering to put one on before entering a building, usually now it takes seeing someone else with one to remind me to put mine on. I'm setting such a bad example.......

Not to be, um, political, but most of the people I see without them are white guys. Everyone else is still being pretty careful. And I just got my third shot, so hopefully I'm pretty safe. I only know four people who have gotten it, and none of them had to be hospitalized, thank goodness.

9 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Also there's a Food Lion about 5 minutes up the road but they're in the other direction so I almost never go there; FL's never been my fave grocery store anyway.

I have kinda fond memories of Food Lion, even though I'm pretty sure I've never been inside one.  When Alex and I used to drive on our trips east (we finally decided it's easier and roughly the same cost to fly), we would start to see Food Lion trucks and know the long drive (600 miles / 1,000 km) was just about over.  Then on the way home we'd start to see Kroger trucks, which was even nicer.

10 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I only know four people who have gotten it, and none of them had to be hospitalized, thank goodness.

Till a week ago, I knew of only two people I've actually met who've had it -- both youngish women who recovered relatively easily.  But then a middle-aged dairy farmer we know came down with it, and he's in the hospital now.  Poor fellow was hospitalized only a year or so ago when he'd been gored by one of his bulls (who is now hamburger).

On 11/7/2021 at 10:48 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Oh, by the way -- it's great to see your shining face once more!

Funny, I've always thought of myself as a rather shadowy figure ... but thanks! :-)

• Tongue 1