Sherlock Holmes's Birthday

• 3 weeks later...

It's always been a fond wish of mine to have a Twelfth Night party in honor of the Great Detective.  Foods would feature items from Mrs. Hudson's table as named in the cases plus fine Scotches and brandies.  Sadly, no one in my real-life orbit shares my passion for Sherlock Holmes and any way, I've missed my chance this year . . .again.  :(

2 hours ago, Hikari said:

It's always been a fond wish of mine to have a Twelfth Night party in honor of the Great Detective.  Foods would feature items from Mrs. Hudson's table as named in the cases plus fine Scotches and brandies.  Sadly, no one in my real-life orbit shares my passion for Sherlock Holmes and any way, I've missed my chance this year . . .again.  :(

That sort of thing would take planning, through, so perhaps this is the time to set your sights on next year.  You could start a thread for suggestions (including food references).  In fact, the planning might be just as much fun as the actual event.

Okay, you're idea of fun and mine are definitely different.... 😛 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Okay, you're idea of fun and mine are definitely different.... 😛 

I'm open to menu suggestions.  Sherlock barely eats and John likes anything, so the menu is wide open.  Drinking of Scotch and Brandy optional.  This is a fantasy party, so anything goes!

This is the kind of thing that die-hard BFI types pay hundreds of pounds/dollars for the privilege, but I envision something far less stiff than those annual dinners.  Particularly if we could get Benedict to agree to come in character.  We must, alas, settle for the benevolent spirit of Jeremy Brett.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, a party sounds fun. But the planning … urk. :D 

• Like 1

A fantasy party is the best kind -- the sky's the limit!  Besides, it's just about the only way that we could all attend, seeing as how we're spread out all over the globe.

@Hikari -- when you say "items from Mrs. Hudson's table as named in the cases," are you referring to canon, to BBC Sherlock, other adaptations, or any of the above?  And what about food mentioned as being prepared by someone else?  Or food seen in an adaptation but not specifically named?

On 1/31/2020 at 11:42 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

A fantasy party is the best kind -- the sky's the limit!  Besides, it's just about the only way that we could all attend, seeing as how we're spread out all over the globe.

@Hikari -- when you say "items from Mrs. Hudson's table as named in the cases," are you referring to canon, to BBC Sherlock, other adaptations, or any of the above?  And what about food mentioned as being prepared by someone else?  Or food seen in an adaptation but not specifically named?

Sorry, just now seeing your comment.

I am thinking specifically of foods consumed by our Baker Street duo as written by ACD.  Mrs. Hudson normally does breakfasts, with the other meals a bit hit or miss, but our bachelor diners often went to their favorite restaurant, Simpson's, for heartier fare, when Sherlock Holmes felt hungry, so that would open the menu up for more than just eggs and kidney pie.   Our birthday celebration may have to stretch to multiple meals, houseparty style.  We could do "Mrs. Hudson's Breakfast/Tea" plus other food inspired by alternative versions.  I love Japanese food, so "Miss Sherlock" would get a nod, as well as dishes from the parts of the globe Holmes says he visited on his Hiatus.  That would include food from Scandinavia as well as the Middle and Far East.  

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 3:04 PM, Hikari said:

I love Japanese food, so "Miss Sherlock" would get a nod

Would food from BBC Sherlock also get a nod?  (Just curious -- it's your party!)  Oh wait a minute --

On 2/8/2020 at 3:04 PM, Hikari said:

other food inspired by alternative versions

-- unless I'm misreading that, you've already answered my question in the affirmative.  So individual mince pies are a go!

I've read probably half of the canon stories, but don't seem to have retained a great deal regarding food.  I have a vague recollection of eggs and toast and maybe scones, lots of tea, and not much else.

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Many happy returns of the day to Mr. Sherlock Holmes, 168 years old today.  God save Her Majesty and her most devoted servant and consulting detective.  

Tonight I shall be finishing the "Blue Carbuncle" episode of Grenada Sherlock to celebrate.

Sherlock_Holmes_Portrait_Paget.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, besleybean said:

Sorry, did he really say that?

Arch Republican here, don't put me off Mr Holmes!

That "God save Her Majesty and her most devoted servant" bit, you mean?  It isn't in quote marks, so it's presumably Hikari saying it.  There was that "VR" in bullet holes, though.

6 hours ago, besleybean said:

Sorry, did he really say that?

Arch Republican here, don't put me off Mr Holmes!

That was me saying it, but Sherlock would have echoed those sentiments.

Hate to break it to you, but despite being iconoclastic in other regards, SH was (is, if you play the Game) a monarchist.  He shot a tribute to Victoria Regina in his sitting room wall (technically Mrs. Hudson's sitting room wall), and a lot of his cases were in support of the Crown, especially ones we didn't hear about.  I'm confident that were SH around today (Gamers insist he still is), he would be a loyal subject to VR's successor, Elizabeth Regina, though  he might be less keen on Charles.

I'm an American, and so am an arch Republican, too.  Just saying that ACD wrote Holmes to be a monarchist.  He's not abrasively political and hectoring about it.  Politics bores him, but he does love his Queen.  Watch how he and Watson handle a bunch of Royal hecklers at the opera in "Murder by Decree".  A love for the Queen is something the Baker Street flatmates have resolutely in common.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hikari said:

ACD wrote Holmes to be a monarchist.  He's not abrasively political and hectoring about it.  Politics bores him, but he does love his Queen. 

Sounds like a sensible and civilized man -- the "not abrasively political and hectoring" part, I mean.  The world could certainly do with a dose of that civility today!

• Like 2