Jump to content
RV0889

Sherlock Holmes's Birthday

Recommended Posts

It's always been a fond wish of mine to have a Twelfth Night party in honor of the Great Detective.  Foods would feature items from Mrs. Hudson's table as named in the cases plus fine Scotches and brandies.  Sadly, no one in my real-life orbit shares my passion for Sherlock Holmes and any way, I've missed my chance this year . . .again.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hikari said:

It's always been a fond wish of mine to have a Twelfth Night party in honor of the Great Detective.  Foods would feature items from Mrs. Hudson's table as named in the cases plus fine Scotches and brandies.  Sadly, no one in my real-life orbit shares my passion for Sherlock Holmes and any way, I've missed my chance this year . . .again.  :(

That sort of thing would take planning, through, so perhaps this is the time to set your sights on next year.  You could start a thread for suggestions (including food references).  In fact, the planning might be just as much fun as the actual event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, you're idea of fun and mine are definitely different.... 😛 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Okay, you're idea of fun and mine are definitely different.... 😛 

I'm open to menu suggestions.  Sherlock barely eats and John likes anything, so the menu is wide open.  Drinking of Scotch and Brandy optional.  This is a fantasy party, so anything goes!

This is the kind of thing that die-hard BFI types pay hundreds of pounds/dollars for the privilege, but I envision something far less stiff than those annual dinners.  Particularly if we could get Benedict to agree to come in character.  We must, alas, settle for the benevolent spirit of Jeremy Brett.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong, a party sounds fun. But the planning … urk. :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holmes party sounds fun... even if it is just fantasy at the moment!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fantasy party is the best kind -- the sky's the limit!  Besides, it's just about the only way that we could all attend, seeing as how we're spread out all over the globe.

@Hikari -- when you say "items from Mrs. Hudson's table as named in the cases," are you referring to canon, to BBC Sherlock, other adaptations, or any of the above?  And what about food mentioned as being prepared by someone else?  Or food seen in an adaptation but not specifically named?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 11:42 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

A fantasy party is the best kind -- the sky's the limit!  Besides, it's just about the only way that we could all attend, seeing as how we're spread out all over the globe.

@Hikari -- when you say "items from Mrs. Hudson's table as named in the cases," are you referring to canon, to BBC Sherlock, other adaptations, or any of the above?  And what about food mentioned as being prepared by someone else?  Or food seen in an adaptation but not specifically named?

Sorry, just now seeing your comment.

I am thinking specifically of foods consumed by our Baker Street duo as written by ACD.  Mrs. Hudson normally does breakfasts, with the other meals a bit hit or miss, but our bachelor diners often went to their favorite restaurant, Simpson's, for heartier fare, when Sherlock Holmes felt hungry, so that would open the menu up for more than just eggs and kidney pie.   Our birthday celebration may have to stretch to multiple meals, houseparty style.  We could do "Mrs. Hudson's Breakfast/Tea" plus other food inspired by alternative versions.  I love Japanese food, so "Miss Sherlock" would get a nod, as well as dishes from the parts of the globe Holmes says he visited on his Hiatus.  That would include food from Scandinavia as well as the Middle and Far East.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 3:04 PM, Hikari said:

I love Japanese food, so "Miss Sherlock" would get a nod

Would food from BBC Sherlock also get a nod?  (Just curious -- it's your party!)  Oh wait a minute --

On 2/8/2020 at 3:04 PM, Hikari said:

other food inspired by alternative versions

-- unless I'm misreading that, you've already answered my question in the affirmative.  So individual mince pies are a go!

I've read probably half of the canon stories, but don't seem to have retained a great deal regarding food.  I have a vague recollection of eggs and toast and maybe scones, lots of tea, and not much else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.