Last Vow - Unofficial News (beware, spoilers ahead!)

Karie

So,

"A lot of ‘The Sign of Three’ will play very differently on a re-watch in light of the events of 'His Last Vow'." 

I'm guessing that, like with TRF, we're going to learn that Sherlock knew a lot of stuff already about Magnussen and what's going to happen in HLV, and was preparing for that. Maybe him leaving at the end and not seeing John for a month is actually not so much about him being lonely, but about him distancing himself from John to protect him from what he knows is coming. I hope not, though. Don't give us good character material like that and then take it away, Moffat!

My thoughts exactly! They better not do that again.

I think I will be watching TSoT on repeat this weekend prior to the airing of HLV... just so I get to enjoy it as much as possible now, in case I'll love it less after Sunday night. That's what's happened a bit with TRF, but at least I'd watched that about 10 times before seeing TEH. TRF was my fav episode before series 3. Now I think it's TSoT, so I really hope the difference will not be bad... just different.

Yeah, TSoT is now my favorite episode out of all of them.  I really don't want them to go back and undermine that. I'm going to be really, really upset if they do. 

And some obviously not so promising:

• There is at least one very significant character death. Well, this is really the only horribly sad spoiler I've read, but what a horrible one indeed. I don't want any of the regular cast to die, I think they are brilliant. This is the most well put-together set of regulars in any TV series I've seen. Mycroft, Lestrade, Mrs. Hudson, and Molly. Now also Mary. I love them all - even Mycroft :) And then of course there's John and Sherlock, but they'll never kill off either of them.

SPOILER!

I wouldn't be so sure about that last bit ;)

Oh, great. That makes me feel like they probably are going to

do another fake out, or have one of them gravely injured.  Like I said, they would never actually kill off either John or Sherlock, as there is no show without the two of them, so this is just another fake-out.  :rolleyes: I hope that at least this time it's John who is fake-dying. At least it would be different in that we get to see the affect of his supposed loss on Sherlock. Because if it's John thinking he's losing Sherlock all over again (which of course, he isn't going to) then I could just go back and watch TRF again. Wash, rinse, repeat.  This is starting to feel a lot like Moffat's work on Doctor Who. He will kill every major character 100 times only to magically undo it. There stops being any real emotional involvement after a while.

SPOILER:

Nothing fake about it. But not portrayed the way you might think. Actually, it's very important.

Yeah, except, like I said,

THEY WILL NEVER REALLY KILL OFF JOHN OR SHERLOCK. Not permanently, anyway. I'm guessing one of them appears to be dead, goes to the morgue (that casting sheet that included "assistant coroner") and in the last second, we see that finger twitch and the shocked face of the guy in the mask. Exactly as I was saying... it's not really emotionally hard-hitting (well, to the other one who doesn't "die", but not to the fans), because we know it's not going to stick. I swear, if the cliffhanger is YET AGAIN either John or Sherlock left thinking the other is dead, I'm going to cut somebody. TELL ME ANOTHER ONE, MOFFAT!

No, it isn't remotely like that XD

The actual shocking part of the episode is not this part.  At all.  And this isn't the cliffhanger.  It sets things in motion and we see the characters like we have never seen them before.

As far as TSoT, this actually builds on it.  Doesn't undermine it at all...in fact, TSoT is very, VERY important.

• Like 2

OK, that Guardian article I quoted above was a copy/paste that someone put on tumblr, and as I'm reading the actual article now, I see a few extra things that weren't included above:

A newspaper proprietor with some very unpleasant personal habits – he urinates in Sherlock's fireplace– Magnussen is the one man Sherlock truly hates.

Moffat said: "He is completely human. He has emotions but he suppresses them to be a better detective. He believes emotion gets in the way of his brilliant brain."

Perhaps Sherlock's Lazarus-style return to life may be catching. Though Magnussen appears to be a one-episode character, Moffatt did not rule out bringing him back. Which also left open the question of whether Moriarty, played to perfection by Andrew Scott, really is no more.

The actual shocking part of the episode is not this part.  At all.  And this isn't the cliffhanger.  It sets things in motion and we see the characters like we have never seen them before.

As far as TSoT, this actually builds on it.  Doesn't undermine it at all...in fact, TSoT is very, VERY important.

Thanks for that, darling, it makes me feel a little better.  :wub:

• Like 1

Thanks for that, darling, it makes me feel a little better.  :wub:

Anytime :D  Just trying to help smooth some things out until the episode airs.  I can't wait to actually talk about it without being cryptic XD  But it's a superb episode, easily my favorite.

And some obviously not so promising:

• There is at least one very significant character death. Well, this is really the only horribly sad spoiler I've read, but what a horrible one indeed. I don't want any of the regular cast to die, I think they are brilliant. This is the most well put-together set of regulars in any TV series I've seen. Mycroft, Lestrade, Mrs. Hudson, and Molly. Now also Mary. I love them all - even Mycroft :) And then of course there's John and Sherlock, but they'll never kill off either of them.

SPOILER!

I wouldn't be so sure about that last bit ;)

You've got to be kidding me! Either you're pulling my chain, or

it will seem like either John or Sherlock (probably John) is dead until the very last minute. Of course, John almost dying would create some tremendously emotional drama, and I love that, but if there is going to be an actual character death - not a fake one - there's no way it's John. Period. :) Even if he should appear for all to be dead.

Ah well, my imagination may be running wild, but that's no wonder with these spoilers.

Dead serious :)

Watch the trailer, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Unfortunately, I'm rubbish with detective work :)

"Dead" serious, hm? :)

Ten lines of dialogue from His Last Vow:

» "This is blackmail."

» "What case could possibly justify this?"

» "You do not own me."

» "Stay out of my bedroom."

» "One more push."

» "No, we’re not playing this game."

» "I was waiting until we were married."

» "Red beard."

» "I have an excellent memory."

» "Who’s Sherlock Holmes?"

If they have the classic soap opera BS plot where

John wakes up with amnesia and can't remember Sherlock... or Sherlock can't remember himself...  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

"One more push", so I guess we are several months in the future and Mary is delivering? I kind of hate that they always skip so far ahead in each episode. 

"I was waiting until we were married." For what? To tell John whatever she's been keeping from him?

For the love of all that is holy, does anyone know how to control this white highlight thing that happens whenever you copy and paste text? The biggest problem is that once I finish the text paste, the highlight wants to continue to follow me around. I feel like all of my posts are a big mess!!  :wacko:

I've just been told who the

"major death"

is. All I can say is... I hope it's wrong, or a trick. :( :( :(

I will need to breathe into a bag now!

http://ibelieveinmycroft.tumblr.com/post/72475039054/welovethebeekeeper-horns-wings

Not sure if these pictures is supposed to give us a hint concerning sunday's major death but I feel like I probably wasn't an accident. (Also I really hope that the link works)

The software just killed a long speculating ramble of mine for this thread. Probably a good thing. All I'll say instead is: I am honestly considering not to watch this episode the night it airs, but to wait until I can get a full summary and then decide whether my heart and glands are really up to it. There are some possible developments that I would not want to see.

I can't help the sneaking fear that something really shocking might happen concerning John. Not necessarily his death (for real, anyway), but some revelation that changes everything we thought we knew about him. Or seems to. Because if the previous episode did one thing, it firmly established John as the most lovable creature on earth in out minds, didn't it?

• Like 1

I can't help the sneaking fear that something really shocking might happen concerning John. Not necessarily his death (for real, anyway), but some revelation that changes everything we thought we knew about him. Or seems to. Because if the previous episode did one thing, it firmly established John as the most lovable creature on earth in out minds, didn't it?

If I'm to believe people's hints on this thread, I agree with you. My heart is going to be clenched, though, until I watch the episode, so by Sunday evening I'll just have to get it overwith. I think it will be an amazing episode, epic really, but I can't imagine how horrible it will be to watch something really, truly bad happen to our John... Please, not John :( A part of me will die. I cannot believe that he will actually be killed, though, but the hints have been so frustratingly cryptic.

Neither Sherlock nor John could ever be killed as long as there is going to be a series 4 (unless that one were supposed to be all flashbacks and that would be so unbelievably stupid I'm filing it under "impossible - ruled out".)

The worst they could do on that head would be try to make us believe one of them was dead - and who would buy that after The Reichenbach Fall? No, the shock and the cliffhanger will have to revolve around something else, I think.

No, I definitely do not believe that either lead character will die, but as you mention, we could still get our world upside down with some major twist in their lives, and I do believe we will see John and/or Mary in severe danger. Worse than ever, maybe.

You may well be right... we shall see, won't we. (If I dare... otherwise only you will see and then hopefully tell me about it :) )

• Like 1

Forgive me, I'm at work and typing this on my iPhone is a chore. To allay your fears, I haven't heard anything about that person you are talking about. I don't want to post what I actually did hear, as it crosses the line from hints and tidbits and I wouldn't want anyone to click unhide thinking it would be a tease and end up learning a lot more than they wanted. If anyone is 100% certain they want to know, message me and I'll reply when I get home.

T.o.b.y that's exactly why I like spoilers. When serious stuff goes down I need to be prepared for it going in. I don't like those kinds of surprises. I think being spoiled for TEH helped me enjoy it a bit more on the first viewing. If a lot of that stuff had been sprung on me as I was watching, I probably would have hated it and turned it off without finishing.

Forgive me, I'm at work and typing this on my iPhone is a chore. To allay your fears, I haven't heard anything about that person you are talking about. I don't want to post what I actually did hear, as it crosses the line from hints and tidbits and I wouldn't want anyone to click unhide thinking it would be a tease and end up learning a lot more than they wanted. If anyone is 100% certain they want to know, message me and I'll reply when I get home.

Thanks Karie!

I totally understand anybody who doesn't like spoilers, but I personally don't watch TV or read books for shocks and thrills. On the contrary, the nervous anticipation of those usually ruins the first viewing or reading for me. So do tell me anything really horrible coming our way - I'd be grateful...

Karie, I'm kind of glad you cleared that up... even though I could not believe it, just the thought had me near tears :) Unbelievable how much all these rumours and spoilers seem to affect me.

I think I will hate it equally, regardless who dies... unless it's Donovan or Anderson, but hardly anyone would make a big deal out of that, so it's someone else.

Mycroft is Sherlock's older brother; a lot like Sherlock in some ways, and their difficult relationship is one of the most compelling in the show.

Lestrade is Sherlock's perhaps oldest friend, and a great guy; I love him.

Molly simply deserves to be happy.

Mrs. Hudson needs to be there for Sherlock in Baker Street, especially now that John is gone.

Mary is the only "expendable" for me, but I would hate to see John mourn another one he loves.

So, yes, I'm preparing myself to have my heart broken.

• Like 1

/>

Karie, I'm kind of glad you cleared that up... even though I could not believe it, just the thought had me near tears :) Unbelievable how much all these rumours and spoilers seem to affect me.

I think I will hate it equally, regardless who dies... unless it's Donovan or Anderson, but hardly anyone would make a big deal out of that, so it's someone else.

Mycroft is Sherlock's older brother; a lot like Sherlock in some ways, and their difficult relationship is one of the most compelling in the show.

Lestrade is Sherlock's perhaps oldest friend, and a great guy; I love him.

Molly simply deserves to be happy.

Mrs. Hudson needs to be there for Sherlock in Baker Street, especially now that John is gone.

Mary is the only "expendable" for me, but I would hate to see John mourn another one he loves.

So, yes, I'm preparing myself to have my heart broken.

Oh, I completely understand. It's painful no matter what, because this is such a stellar cast of beloved characters!

T.o.b.y I will message you. I know

who dies, and also someone else who is gravely injured and doesn't die. Or, at least not permanently. So they are trying hard to gut us. Moffat!!!!!!!

The software just killed a long speculating ramble of mine for this thread. Probably a good thing. All I'll say instead is: I am honestly considering not to watch this episode the night it airs, but to wait until I can get a full summary and then decide whether my heart and glands are really up to it. There are some possible developments that I would not want to see.

Absolutely DO NOT spoil it for yourself first.  Really, don't.  I promise you, you want to watch it as unspoiled as possible.  I think people are getting themselves worked up over imaginary scary things that aren't true.  There are a lot of shocks and it's an emotional roller coaster, but you want to see this, and you want to see it when it airs and before you check the internet.  Because I promise, you will thank me when you watch it without spoilers.

/knows what she's talking about

• Like 2

Absolutely DO NOT spoil it for yourself first.  Really, don't.  I promise you, you want to watch it as unspoiled as possible.  I think people are getting themselves worked up over imaginary scary things that aren't true.  There are a lot of shocks and it's an emotional roller coaster, but you want to see this, and you want to see it when it airs and before you check the internet.  Because I promise, you will thank me when you watch it without spoilers.

Awww, thanks for that friendly warning! I don't really want to know everything in advance, but there are some things I'd better let myself be warned about and before I know too little, I'd rather know too much. (I am the type of person who goes and reads the ending of books first, just so I won't get too attached to a character only to find out he or she dies horribly or turns out to be a villain or stuff like that. I'm a real baby about fictional people!)

I saw The Reichenbach Fall completely unspoiled, however. It was an experiment in honor of Sherlock. And so I didn't know he was going to be still alive after The Fall. Yes, I knew he didn't die originally, but I did know that Doyle intended him to and I did not know about series 3 having been already commissioned. So even though I couldn't fail to notice there was a lot that looked fishy about his death, it was quite horrible for me and I certainly liked the episode a lot better the second time 'round when I knew I was going to see him alive and well in the graveyard...

Previous knowledge or not, rest assured: I always want to see Sherlock. Always, always. :)

• Like 1

Awww, thanks for that friendly warning! I don't really want to know everything in advance, but there are some things I'd better let myself be warned about and before I know too little, I'd rather know too much. (I am the type of person who goes and reads the ending of books first, just so I won't get too attached to a character only to find out he or she dies horribly or turns out to be a villain or stuff like that. I'm a real baby about fictional people!)

I saw The Reichenbach Fall completely unspoiled, however. It was an experiment in honor of Sherlock. And so I didn't know he was going to be still alive after The Fall. Yes, I knew he didn't die originally, but I did know that Doyle intended him to and I did not know about series 3 having been already commissioned. So even though I couldn't fail to notice there was a lot that looked fishy about his death, it was quite horrible for me and I certainly liked the episode a lot better the second time 'round when I knew I was going to see him alive and well in the graveyard...

Previous knowledge or not, rest assured: I always want to see Sherlock. Always, always. :)

Believe me, if you are 'warned' about anything, you will get worried!  Having part of the information is worse than having all of it, because there are things that, if you were to hear what happened, would absolutely shock you...until you knew WHY they happened.  So that's why I say...don't be worried about it now, but just know that you will love what you see!

...just know that you will love what you see!

If I am going to see Sherlock (which stands to reason), I am sure I will! ;)

Thanks for trying to be reassuring. This really is the "Sherlock addiction support group", isn't it? :P

• Like 1

=(

"Sometimes somebody has to die"

I can honestly say that I've never been so excited to see people's reaction to something ever XD

Words or even actions can not describe how hyped I am for this episode! Saturday night's sleep is going to be probably the worst night sleep ill have in my entire life. Imagine a child trying to sleep Christmas eve knowing that they are going to open all there presents? Well times that by lets say 100 and I reckon your almost close to how excited i'm am! Although there is a supposed major character death, everything else in this episode sounds INSANE! Sherlock in a drug den?! one can only dream of knowing his brain activity and capability's whilst under the influence of cocaine! CAM also sounds lick a bad ass villain, which is always appealing to me. I'm sick of these wimpy weak villians we are so used to seeing in modern day tv! It good to see someone with true anger and hate. I Hope i'm not disappointed! :D