Series 4 News

Yup, it appears to be for real this time -- unlike last March's misinterpretation by the media.  Here's a quote from MeganObviously's brief and spoiler-free "Last Vow" screening report:

...  Moffat confirmed season 4, and even said he'd try to make it in less than two years!

Oh goody, goody, goody!

• Like 5

Sounds like Series 4 has actually been commissioned by the BBC.  Perhaps Series 5 is merely in the planning stage with Moftiss.  But good news nonetheless!

Whoever was looking for a good question to ask Moftiss in that live-chat event -- how about asking for clarification on the status of Series 4 and 5?

That's right, Moffat said that he had 4 and 5 planned out but only that there would be a season 4 for definite.

Someone asked if we would have to wait two years again, and he said he would try and get it done sooner, but it depends on the actors schedules, to which Amanda said that Martin is free from April, so I'm holding out hope that we'll get in a year!

I sincerely hope there is a Series 5. I don't trust the BBC after they cancelled "The Hour.". At least Benedict has said he would be happy to play Sherlock for years.

I think the BBC is very happy with Sherlock at the moment it is bringing in a big chunk of the viewing audience every time it comes on. The last two episodes have won out over every other program on its initial viewing spot for Sunday nights.

I don't this the BBC would cancel such a popular series as 'Sherlock' - they would be crazy to, think of the uproar.

As long as the writing is credible, fresh and exciting - may this series continue         :brit: 

Amanda said that Martin is free from April, so I'm holding out hope that we'll get in a year!

It would be so wonderful if they could start filming in April! :rolleyes: But I'm not sure about BC's schedule for this year. Well, there isn't such a massive project like The Hobbit which mainly caused the delay of the 3rd series, so fingers crossed!  ;)

I certainly hope you are right. I was very annoyed when "The Hour", which was excellent, finished on a cliffhanger and didn't get a third series. I hope, also, that the next Sherlock series doesn't take an age to appear. I am quite old - I don't have time to hang around!

Well, like Simon Pegg joked about Harry Potter:

tumblr_mqvae0VarO1rrcahvo1_500.gif

tumblr_mqvae0VarO1rrcahvo2_r1_500.gif

(source)

Given the viewing figures of Series 3 so far, I guess the BBC would be a] monumentally stupid to cancel this and b] there'd be riots.

• Like 2

The Hobbit actors are going back to New Zealand in May for pickups for TABA. 

Nesbitt confirmed that he is returning to New Zealand in May for the filming of the third 'Hobbit' movie.

Source. 

So I'm not sure about Benedict, but Martin has to go back to NZ. Hopefully it won't take long, maybe 2-3 weeks. 

• Like 1

I have moved the ensuing Hobbit-related discussion to The Hobbit thread.

But note that Martin Freeman's involvement in any further Hobbit filming is as yet unconfirmed.

I really hope this information is true!!  :D Source

Sherlock could be back in time for Christmas as BBC bosses urge producers to fast-track new episodes

Following the success of the New Year's Day episode of Sherlock, which attracted over 13 million viewers when catch-up services are factored in, the BBC is understood to be eager to bill the programme as the main event in its Christmas 2014 schedule

Speaking to the Sun, a BBC insider said: 'The BBC is desperate for a Sherlock Christmas Day special this year. It wants its biggest guns ready.'

• New episodes are already planned and filming could begin in spring
  • Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman just need to agree to timing

Fingers crossed!  ;)

Sherlock could be back in time for Christmas as BBC bosses urge producers to fast-track new episodes

Following the success of the New Year's Day episode of Sherlock, which attracted over 13 million viewers when catch-up services are factored in, the BBC is understood to be eager to bill the programme as the main event in its Christmas 2014 schedule

Speaking to the Sun, a BBC insider said: 'The BBC is desperate for a Sherlock Christmas Day special this year. It wants its biggest guns ready.'

• New episodes are already planned and filming could begin in spring
  • Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman just need to agree to timing

Fingers crossed!  ;)

Here in the UK the Daily Mail is not exactly known for the veracity of its news, but here's hoping that they have got it right this time. :)

Well, as the old saying goes: "Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day." :)

Yeah, those tabloids occasionally goof up and print something that's true.  ;)   I think the key words in this article are "could be" -- as in, theoretically possible.

But I would really, really hate to see Moftiss rush things.  If they could manage to bring the show back in "just" 18 months again, that'd be great.  And Christmas special be damned!  I want them focussing on -- however they kept putting it in the live Q&A, something like whatever the story demands.

Definitely want quality over quantity.

I totally agree. When I read that DM article I worried at the idea that Moffat and Gatiss were "under pressure". I'd rather wait longer for something of the expected high standard than have it back on telly quicker at a poorer level.

As for them cancelling it - I think that's incredibly unlikely. To paraphrase Sherlock speaking of Mrs Hudson in ASiB - "Cancel Sherlock? England would fall!"

• Like 1