Series 4 News

Mark Gatiss has admitted that he and Steven Moffat actually ARE influenced by fandom -- but not in the way that some people think.

62729.jpg

When we were filming Baker Street exteriors last time, the fact you’ve got about 300 people behind crash barriers is… interesting.  [so] we have factored in trying to minimise large scenes outside.  If you’re just drawing up in a taxi and running through a door, it’s easier but large dialogue scenes outside are quite tough.

By the way, if you came here looking for breaking news on the Special, see this thread.

That's kinda frustrating about crowds reducing the ability to film outside.  You'd hope they could move the crowds back farther, but I guess in a city you can only do so much?

Any further back, and you wouldn't be able to see what's going on.  Three hundred people, even a block away -- that's gotta be distracting.  And the crowds aren't likely to stay that small!

I'm pretty sure if they need an outside scene they'll find a way to do it....

• Like 2

And hope the breeze doesn't blow it into the actor's faces! Unless it's a big emotional crying scene...

• Like 2

Sometimes we come across as a torture loving group of fans. :evilinside:;)

I realize the feels that Moftiss give us and the years in between series doesn't help at all. *insert my son saying "Moftiss" in a frustrated/upset tone of voice*

• Like 1

Release a huge cloud of pepper spray over them :P

Mommy, why are Sherlock and John wearing gas masks?

• Like 2

I know, use a fog machine or 10 so that the fans can't see what is going on and the final shot shows a bit of the ever famous London Fog.

• Like 2

Doctor_who_empty_child_are_you_my_mommy_

• Like 3

I know, use a fog machine or 10 so that the fans can't see what is going on and the final shot shows a bit of the ever famous London Fog.

I've heard that during part of the "how he really did it" filming, the crew held curtains around Benedict Cumberbatch so the fans couldn't see them shoot the squash-ball scene.  So the current secrecy concerns are not totally new.

Not surprised. That's the hard part of live on site shooting vs only studio shooting.

Doctor_who_empty_child_are_you_my_mommy_

That was the first Doctor Who episode that freaked me the hell out.  Creepy kids are creepy.

• 2 weeks later...

An odd little interview with Mark Gatiss on an Indian news site. Not a whole lot of new here, but I did find this one snippet somehow reassuring.... (Sorry, T.o.b.y, I'm still hoping Sherlock will become a real boy someday! :D )

The actor said he couldn’t divulge what will happen in the new season.
“But we are going to keep expanding the whole idea of Sherlock’s progress towards becoming a human being, John’s progress in terms of trying to manage him and obviously, with Mrs Watson the whole dynamic changes a little,” Gatiss said.

And this was a bit of a surprise, although I suspect it's more of a translation error than an actual admission ....

“We have to show how Moriarty is back from the dead and what he has planned. The answer to how Moriarty faked his death will be in the special season, for which we will begin shooting soon, and you will find out how he did it. There are no three fake possibilities in it,” he said.

• Like 1

... but he's also saying that it may not be a Christmas special:

It will be finished, of course, by the end of spring, [but] when they show it is entirely down to the schedulers. It would fit as a Christmas special but there’s no guarantee of that...."

I take that as good news,  we won't have to wait until Christmas  

The actor said he couldn’t divulge what will happen in the new season.

“But we are going to keep expanding the whole idea of Sherlock’s progress towards becoming a human being, John’s progress in terms of trying to manage him and obviously, with Mrs Watson the whole dynamic changes a little,” Gatiss said.

So what else is new? That sounds like a description of series 3.

“We have to show how Moriarty is back from the dead and what he has planned. The answer to how Moriarty faked his death will be in the special season, for which we will begin shooting soon, and you will find out how he did it. There are no three fake possibilities in it,” he said.

If this is true and Moriarty is really still alive, then I will turn absolutely monstrous. What a horrible idea, "they faked death at each other". Oh well. No use getting riled up. It'll probably be a case of I like it once I get used to it. Like series 3!

If Gatiss "couldn’t divulge what will happen in the new season," then why did he apparently reveal that Moriarty really is alive, having faked the death scene?  Seems -- odd.  I assume he's toying with us again, but have no idea what it might mean (other than "just about anything").

But apparently we won't have to wait till Series 4, we'll find out in the Special, whenever that happens to come along.  My best guess would be January 1, 2016, since the BBC seems to like using Sherlock as a New Year's Day special.

There are no three fake possibilities in it.

If I were paranoid, I might think he means that there were three fake possibilities shown in "Empty Hearse."  But that would be over-analyzing.  :P

If Gatiss "couldn’t divulge what will happen in the new season," then why did he apparently reveal that Moriarty really is alive, having faked the death scene?  Seems -- odd.  I assume he's toying with us again, but have no idea what it might mean (other than "just about anything").

But apparently we won't have to wait till Series 4, we'll find out in the Special, whenever that happens to come along.  My best guess would be January 1, 2016, since the BBC seems to like using Sherlock as a New Year's Day special.

Didn't Moftiss say at one point that Moriarty is dead, though?  Gah... I'm getting all confuzzled.

That's what they've all been saying, yes -- and I assume they're not yanking our chain about that.

• Like 1

How obsessed do I have to be to actually be excited about this? I'm really looking forward to production pics and cryptic hints and crazy rumors...

• Like 2

How obsessed do I have to be to actually be excited about this? I'm really looking forward to production pics and cryptic hints and crazy rumors...

Apparently not anymore than me, and probably everyone else here.  :)  I feel like it's going to be Christmas in January!

• Like 1

Oh -- right -- more Setlock coming right up!!!   :D   Somehow, that hadn't sunk in.

Now I will endeavor NOT to fret that the Special might be a "bottle show" (all filmed in the studio).

• Like 1

Now I will endeavor NOT to fret that the Special might be a "bottle show" (all filmed in the studio).

Oh, thanks a lot. Just as I was getting all cheerful and optimistic......

• Like 1