Favourite "Sherlock" Pictures, etc.

Ruthyone

• 2 weeks later...

Huh?  :blink:

All that reminds me of is the poem Sir Patrick Spens:  "The king sits in Dunfermline town, drinking the blude-red wine...."  (Talk about a memory dredged up from the misty past!)

"

On 9/4/2019 at 10:24 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Does this count?

On 9/4/2019 at 1:23 PM, besleybean said:

Just down the road from me.

Close, in other words. 😉 

Well not that close...but nowhere in Scotland's central belt is that far from anywhere!

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2019 at 12:05 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Huh?  :blink:

You're in the "favorite Sherlock pictures" thread. So, no, it doesn't count anyway, as it belongs in the "favorite Benedict Cumberbatch pictures" thread. If we had one, which we don't. Hence, "close." 😛 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, that explains one thing.  But can anyone explain the photo?  Is it supposed to be significant?  Funny?  And why?  I feel like I'm missing the point, assuming there is one.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

it doesn't count anyway, as it belongs in the "favorite Benedict Cumberbatch pictures" thread. If we had one, which we don't.

That oversight could be rectified, of course.

The point, far as I understood it, is that it's kind of a running joke to "confuse" any two complicated words starting with B and C as Benedict Cumberbatch's name (because it's so long or something), like the above, or:

yUeFRSr.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Caya said:

... it's kind of a running joke to "confuse" any two complicated words starting with B and C as Benedict Cumberbatch's name.......

Ah!  So it's the "Burntisland Cowdenbeath" part that people find amusing.  I see.  Sort of.  I'm familiar with those jokes, but am guessing the main reason I didn't "get it" this time is that I learned to read by the traditional phonics method, rather than by the newer look-say method (you can read an explanation of each method here).

I do think "Butternut Crinkle Fries" sounds like a funny version of BC's name, but I still don't get a chuckle out of Burntisland Cowdenbeath.  I'm thinking that's because it's unfamiliar, so I have to sound it out (phonics), which spoils any spontaneous reaction, whereas "Butternut Crinkle Fries" is composed of three very common words that I recognize at a glance (look-say).  Yeah, I think that's it, because I can imagine finding Burntisland Cowdenbeath funny if somebody else said it aloud.

Yes, I know, I'm overthinking again.  But it drives me nuts when I don't understand things like that.

Personally I find the whole making fun of the name thing a bit infantile...

though Benedict's colleagues and friends certainly do it.

Martin used to call him The Cumberlord and Simon Pegg called him Cumberbum or something, can't remember what it was!

At least the man himself has a sense of humor about it. Not that he has much choice, I guess.

• Like 1

I believe I read that he actually had decided to use Carlton (like his father) until a fellow actor said something like, "Are you crazy?  You've got a really distinctive name like Cumberbatch, and you want to change it to something that sounds like every other actor in show business?"

8 hours ago, J.P. said:

... agents also wanted Viggo Mortensen to change his name.

Also Humphrey Bogart, I've heard.

7 hours ago, besleybean said:

Yes I heard it was a new agent who convinced him to use Cumberbatch.

I assume you're responding to me (rather than to J.P.  ;)  ).  Yes, that would make sense.

Quite true.  But what I actually meant to say was that Bogart's agent insisted he change his name -- at least the "Humphrey" part -- but he refused.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Quite true.  But what I actually meant to say was that Bogart's agent insisted he change his name -- at least the "Humphrey" part -- but he refused.

Good for him!