What would you like to see in series 4?

T.o.b.y

One of the things I want the most from series 4 is some kind of closure for the Moriarty story arc. Preferably one that makes sense of what we've seen of him so far. Perhaps I am feeling particularly bewildered right now because I just rewatched series 1 and 2 and saw The Reichenbach Fall only the other day. Anyhow, I can't seem to stop wondering why Moriarty chose Sherlock of all people to "play" and become obsessed with. It's become clear that Sherlock isn't the only genius in his universe, so the desire to have a worthy opponent can't be the only reason. I mean, Mycroft is smarter and more powerful, why not go after him primarily? Or someone like Mary? Or another master villain, like Magnussen? (Imagine a Moriarty vs Magnussen spin-off... :D I know whom I'd be rooting for!)

And why does he think he "owes" Sherlock? What harm has Sherlock done him? It was Mycroft who imprisoned Moriarty and had him tortured. Also, why is "you're me!" such a big deal for Moriarty? Why is it important to him that Sherlock admits to being like him in a way?

Another thing: Sherlock's life story. I don't believe Mycroft actually traded it for information on a non-existent key-code. Doesn't sound like something Mycroft would do. Mycroft never even admits to this, he just lets John surmise and keeps silent. So I am guessing there's stuff about Sherlock that Moriarty simply knew. He'd been following Sherlock's life for a while, I think. Why?

Why, why, why? I want answers!

• Like 2

I think the relationship goes back to Carl Powers. Somehow Moriarty knew Sherlock was on to him. Maybe Sherlock was even obnoxious about it. Usually not a fan of flashbacks, but I would like to see a tiny bit more about that case. Why did it catch Sherlock's interest?

• Like 3

Not to be a spoilsport or anything :P but it seems to me most of the answers are right there in the show. The Carl Powers case caught Sherlock's attention because he noticed a clue that the police didn't. Sherlock caught Moriarty's interest because Sherlock's crime solving kept messing up Moriarty's plans. And Moriarty owed him for that; "you mess up my business, I'll mess up yours."

Also, I think Mycroft simply refused to "play" with Moriarty. I think it was in Scandal that he said Moriarty had been "desperately" trying to get his attention, and the implication was that Mycroft was refusing to provide it. I assume he thinks it's not his bailiwick, since it's "merely" crime, and not politics.

I agree, though, that all that is vaguely worded in the show, and could easily be reinterpreted to mean something else. Sort of like "an underground network" turns out to be "an underground network." :P And I've never understood the "you're me" remark ... I see how Sherlock and Moriarty are mirrors of one another, but I've never quite gotten how they are "the same." For one thing, Moriarty is bat-shit crazy, and Sherlock is merely a sociopath. :smile:

• Like 3

I agree about Carl Powers and such.

But I think Mycroft *did* give Moriarty information on Sherlock.  However, at least in my headcanon, it wasn't factual, it was intriguing stuff that was made up to sound plausible but be impossible to either verify or deny.  In other words, Mycroft played Moriarty for a sucker.  :P

• Like 1

:lol: You voices of reason are probably right. I just can't help feeling that there must be more to the Sherlock-Moriarty connection. But probably there isn't or we'll never know...

Sure, go right ahead! Maybe Moftiss are feeling generous! Maybe they aren't... :d

• Like 2