Sherlock's relationship with women

There was also this 80s US movie: Young Sherlock Holmes.

And this UK 80s TV Series: Young Sherlock: The Mystery of the Manor House.

I have seen "Young Sherlock Holmes" the movie. It's surprisingly good. Well acted. Was supposed to be a series, but for some reason, even though the cast stayed in London waiting for a recall it never happened.

As Sherlock's character evolves emotionally too , I think we should expect some real romance in Season 4!

Oh dear lord, I hope not! :/

Oh no!!! Not Sherlock looking gooey-eyed into anyone's eyes (not even Molly!!!) :sick::shoot::inlove:

• Like 1

Part of the charm of Sherlock (besides his obvious intelligence and extraordinary physical beauty) is the fact that seems unattainable, that makes him mysterious and sexy.

• Like 1

I used to worry they would pair Sherlock off with somebody, but by now, I think the writers know far too well that wouldn't work, unless the poor girl was immediately killed in the same episode to prove, once again, that Sherlock has a heart.

Gah!  I hate those dead-girlfriend episodes.  I'd rather he just dumped her.  Or she dumped him -- which would allow for heart evidence.

I hate a story like that as well. I'm certainly not wishing for it and I do hope the "Sherlock" team doesn't decide to use it.

Well they've been good with this so far. John, after all, had a string of conveniently disposable girlfriends and they all survived.

• Like 1

Yes, thank goodness. And I hope

Mary will survive

as well. I dislike getting rid of characters by killing them off. Death should be used sparingly as a plot device.

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
Mild series 3 spoiler

I dislike getting rid of characters by killing them off. Death should be used sparingly as a plot device.

Well, Moftiss do seem to be using it sparingly -- in the sense that it doesn't necessarily last very long.

Do we really know that anyone has actually died yet?

I dislike getting rid of characters by killing them off. Death should be used sparingly as a plot device.

Well, Moftiss do seem to be using it sparingly -- in the sense that it doesn't necessarily last very long.

Do we really know that anyone has actually died yet?

The answer was, of course, yes.  And we're still counting the bodies -- now over in the "Body Count" thread.

I used to worry they would pair Sherlock off with somebody, but by now, I think the writers know far too well that wouldn't work, unless the poor girl was immediately killed in the same episode to prove, once again, that Sherlock has a heart.

I think the only way Sherlock could have a 'girlfriend' is if it was one of those 'teasing' relationships that kept you guessing!

You mean like Janine, except that he continues to string her along because she's still useful to him?  Kinda like Molly, but with some actual reason to think that he has romantic feelings for her?  And we're pretty sure that he's faking?  Could be interesting -- but you'd have to feel sorry for the poor woman!

You mean like Janine, except that he continues to string her along because she's still useful to him?  Kinda like Molly, but with some actual reason to think that he has romantic feelings for her?  And we're pretty sure that he's faking?  Could be interesting -- but you'd have to feel sorry for the poor woman!

No, I mean a sexy, clever lady who flirts with him (and his mind) and is always one step ahead of the game - a little like Irene but not as deadly!

:sherlock2:

I really can't see Sherlock in any sort of romantic relationship, it would ruin the whole show. That's not what 'Sherlock' is about. It's fine for the other characters to get into relationships as that's what 'normal' people do and it would be ridiculous to not include those events in the overall story. But Sherlock has to remain unattached to remain true to the character.

I remember first seeing the episode when he's 'with' Janine, it was awful, for a split second I was despairing of where it was going but it was nicely done and the clue to it being not quite what it looked like was put in early on (the face change when he closed the door on her, classic!) so we knew all was OK. And it was nice to see that he can convincingly turn on the charm for his own ends. To have her convinced that they are actually in a relationship when nothing physical has occured and she doesn't know where he goes for nights on end is brilliant.  

His attraction to Irene is interesting and in character, but it could never go beyond that playful intrigue and be believable, for either of them. They both understand love, romance, sexual chemistry etc. and can use this understanding to get what they want. But this understanding and knowledge of the other's understanding wouldn't make for a very healthy relationship. It would be a constant battle and power games or they'd get bored very quickly. Some people just aren't made for romantic relationships and I don't think either of these two are.

And finally, Molly. I know there are lots of people who want to see this happen, those people should be rounded up and shot! (a bit harsh?). But seriously this could never EVER happen. Molly is a sweet girl, she wants a nice relationship where they'll do 'normal' things like watch telly and go to the pub. She's an intelligent person and is attracted to Sherlock's mind which I really like about her, but she could never be comfortable in a relationship with someone like that, she's a tad too needy and gives too much. She wants Sherlock but nicer, Sherlock but infatuated with her they way she is with him. She's going to be single for a long time, poor girl. She's got this ideal in her head that no one is ever going to live up to because the two things she wants rarely come in the same package. If she wasn't a fictional character she'd be the ultimate Sherlock fangirl.

I like how Sherlock has come to have real affection for Molly and see her as more than just the girl with the crush on him. But I see this affection as the same he has for John, Lestrade, Mrs Hudson and Mary. No romantic feelings, just respect and affection that they deserve because they're decent people who show him the same (yes, I do think Mary deserves it, sorry). This is what is so wonderful about his character, his love for people is based on what they really are and not affected by some romantic infatuation or any other nonsense that clouds the judgement.

OK, I think I've waffled on for quite long enough but I will say this, I have no idea where the writers will go next series, I hope there will be no romantic involvement for Sherlock, but if there is it'll be interesting to see how they do it. It would take some really clever writing to make it convincing.

• Like 2

I really can't see Sherlock in any sort of romantic relationship, it would ruin the whole show. That's not what 'Sherlock' is about. It's fine for the other characters to get into relationships as that's what 'normal' people do and it would be ridiculous to not include those events in the overall story. But Sherlock has to remain unattached to remain true to the character.

I remember first seeing the episode when he's 'with' Janine, it was awful, for a split second I was despairing of where it was going but it was nicely done and the clue to it being not quite what it looked like was put in early on (the face change when he closed the door on her, classic!) so we knew all was OK. And it was nice to see that he can convincingly turn on the charm for his own ends. To have her convinced that they are actually in a relationship when nothing physical has occured and she doesn't know where he goes for nights on end is brilliant.  

His attraction to Irene is interesting and in character, but it could never go beyond that playful intrigue and be believable, for either of them. They both understand love, romance, sexual chemistry etc. and can use this understanding to get what they want. But this understanding and knowledge of the other's understanding wouldn't make for a very healthy relationship. It would be a constant battle and power games or they'd get bored very quickly. Some people just aren't made for romantic relationships and I don't think either of these two are.

And finally, Molly. I know there are lots of people who want to see this happen, those people should be rounded up and shot! (a bit harsh?). But seriously this could never EVER happen. Molly is a sweet girl, she wants a nice relationship where they'll do 'normal' things like watch telly and go to the pub. She's an intelligent person and is attracted to Sherlock's mind which I really like about her, but she could never be comfortable in a relationship with someone like that, she's a tad too needy and gives too much. She wants Sherlock but nicer, Sherlock but infatuated with her they way she is with him. She's going to be single for a long time, poor girl. She's got this ideal in her head that no one is ever going to live up to because the two things she wants rarely come in the same package. If she wasn't a fictional character she'd be the ultimate Sherlock fangirl.

While I couldn't agree more with your main point - Sherlock should never, ever have a conventional romantic relationship, his being "married to his work" is such an essential characteristic of the original figure - I do feel the urge to argue with what you say about Molly.

Molly may have started out as "the ultimate Sherlock fangirl" when the character was introduced in series 1, but it soon turned out everybody, including the writers, severely underestimated her. I think by the end of series 2, Molly is well established as a quite remarkable woman with astonishing powers of observation and insight.

I really disagree with your interpretation of Molly as wanting Sherlock as someone he is not. My impression is the very opposite. What I see is a woman who knows Sherlock exactly for who and what he truly is and loves him just like that. One of the most beautiful and powerful moments on the show is, for me, towards the end of The Reichenbach Fall where Sherlock asks her if she would still want to help him if he wasn't "who you think I am, who I think I am", meaning the "great brain" and brilliant detective he has reduced his idea of himself to. And she just repeats "what do you need", because she loves him as a person, as just Sherlock, independent of talent or looks or reputation or what you will.

By series 3, I think Molly has accepted the fact that while she loves Sherlock and always will, she doesn't need or want him as a boyfriend - while at times, if she had asked him at the right moment and in the right mood, he might even have agreed to give it a try. She isn't needy at all, she has outgrown her need for him and still loves him for who he is and remains his loyal friend.

I know I glorify Molly to bits, but she deserves it, I think.

• Like 1

I think this has already been posted by someone else, but anyway....the reason why Molly may have dropped Tom is because she realized that he might have been just a stand in for Sherlock and she finally makes up her mind not to "have a type".  She has grown as a person in her own right.