Undead Medic

Episode 1.1, "A Study In Pink"

What did you think of "A Study In Pink?"  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your Vote here:

• 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

1 hour ago, bedelia1984 said:

I did wonder if Sherlock could be a child from her revenge affair. Though that's complicated by how much he looks like his father.😂

Though I think Mycroft looks even more like him.  Maybe Mummy is drawn to that look, even when she's just getting even?

1 hour ago, bedelia1984 said:

I can imagine Moriarty obsessing about someone from afar,  even stalking them, before meeting them, not sure why I think that about him.

Because he's creepy?  :naughty2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Though I think Mycroft looks even more like him.  Maybe Mummy is drawn to that look, even when she's just getting even?

Because he's creepy?  :naughty2:

Oh Yes!

Or maybe she got even with her husband's brother/cousin! I don't know enough about the Sherlock family tree to speculate further 😂

And before anyone says it, I do take note that this is Sherlock and not The Bold and The Beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, bedelia1984 said:

There are aspects of The Final Problem that throw things off for me as well- like for how long were Mycroft and Moriarty doing their backroom deals? I would have quite liked a flashback scene to show what their true relationship was, as Mycroft is a slippery fish, too.

You mean the Xmas present? Need to look after the timing. But first what I've thought about reading this line was the BTS red herring scene with Jim and Myc at Bart's, shaking hands. Oh, imagine they would include that scene in TFP :D

Jim was lurking around also in TBB, as the wire-puller of Chan's business. So it's possible he's got annoyed by Sherlock spoiling his business. But still killing completely random people in a quite sophisticate way just to annoy Scotland Yard - that feels not enough Moriarty-ish for me.

Shut up, stupid brain! Yes, Mofftiss might have built the story by pulling notices with random ideas out of a hat. But it's not the point. Magic, remember? A whole that's more than the sum of it's parts? So SHUT THE BEEP UP and let me have fun! punish2.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You tell it, JP! :D 

22 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Sounds like it's really getting to be time for that long overdue rewatch I keep promising myself. :smile: 

Somebody's organized a "watchalong!" Starts tomorrow. Info at http://finalproblem.tumblr.com/megawatchalong. Putting it here in case I forget to post it somewhere more useful.

15 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

And the same thing again when they apparently combined seasons 4 and 5.  :(   Though I'd probably say they just didn't want to take the time -- which would probably have been considerable in each case, if they'd wanted to make things really click.

TFP does feel somewhat rushed, doesn't it? Like they had to revise it on the fly. Let's blame the actor's schedules again, shall we?

Maybe it's because I have no idea how the TV business works, but if it were me, I would have started writing the scripts as soon as I finished writing S3 … and have had plenty of time to polish them. But perhaps (successful) professional scriptwriters don't write unless they get paid first? (I know a few unsuccessful scriptwriters … they write all the time! :D )

13 hours ago, bedelia1984 said:

This was my take too, though I thought it went a bit further, and Moriarty developed almost a love/hate obsession with Sherlock as a playmate. There are some minor characteristics that Sherlock and Moriarty have in common, that I feel like they recognised in each other (e.g. that detached love of 'the game'), and there was something magnetic about that dynamic.

Well, there was that whole "you're me" dialog on the roof … that was my cue that they sensed they had something in common. I've never clearly defined to myself exactly what it is, though, except a certain darkness of the soul. Which Jim gives into, and Sherlock does not, or something like that.

13 hours ago, bedelia1984 said:

I'm never sure about Moriarty whether he became interested in Sherlock from the beginning, just based on hearing about him (and then maybe that case about the boy with the trainers, did we know whether that was him? 

Yeah, it was Moriarty. And somehow he knew that Sherlock had been interested in the case at the time. 

1 hour ago, J.P. said:

Jim was lurking around also in TBB, as the wire-puller of Chan's business. So it's possible he's got annoyed by Sherlock spoiling his business.

Doesn't he say something to that effect in TGG? He tells Sherlock to "back off" or else. And then a few minutes later Jim decides to kill him anyway, because Sherlock's getting in his way, or something.

But still killing completely random people in a quite sophisticate way just to annoy Scotland Yard - that feels not enough Moriarty-ish for me.

What I have always thought is that Moriarty is simply, irrevocably, stark-raving mad. And fascinated by death. A serial killer, essentially … they don't need a reason, do they? That's one of the many things that makes them so scary.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, J.P. said:

Magic, remember? A whole that's more than the sum of it's parts? So SHUT THE BEEP UP and let me have fun! punish2.gif

Damn straight!  :D

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

That looks really well organized.  And gotta love the name of their chat room:

The Giant Chat of Sumatra

... if it were me, I would have started writing the scripts as soon as I finished writing S3 … and have had plenty of time to polish them. But perhaps (successful) professional scriptwriters don't write unless they get paid first?

Maybe.  But I get the impression that Mr. Moffat doesn't write until he's eyeball to eyeball with a deadline.  (Sort of like my own system, so I can't really criticize him for that.)

Let's blame the actor's schedules again, shall we?

Why not?  It's what the Moftisses do. :P

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J.P. said:

You mean the Xmas present? Need to look after the timing. But first what I've thought about reading this line was the BTS red herring scene with Jim and Myc at Bart's, shaking hands. Oh, imagine they would include that scene in TFP :D

Jim was lurking around also in TBB, as the wire-puller of Chan's business. So it's possible he's got annoyed by Sherlock spoiling his business. But still killing completely random people in a quite sophisticate way just to annoy Scotland Yard - that feels not enough Moriarty-ish for me.

Shut up, stupid brain! Yes, Mofftiss might have built the story by pulling notices with random ideas out of a hat. But it's not the point. Magic, remember? A whole that's more than the sum of it's parts? So SHUT THE BEEP UP and let me have fun! punish2.gif

Oh wow, if that scene was ever filmed, it would be so amazing to see it! I just think their chemistry would be so incredible (the actors and the characters).

I'm just the same, I always want there to be a reason that will make sense of everything, even Moriarty. Thinking he knew about Sherlock and Carl Powers instantly makes me think, but how and why and for what reason and how far back does it go? Frankly it's so exhausting I might need a Christmas sherry to recover from all the mental gymnastics.🤣

• Haha 1

Well, Jim killed Karl and kept the "weapon" aka poisoned shoes. The question is - did he also know about a boy who tried to convince the police about the importance of this fact.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, J.P. said:

Well, Jim killed Karl and kept the "weapon" aka poisoned shoes. The question is - did he also know about a boy who tried to convince the police about the importance of this fact.

At the time Carl was killed, you mean? (I accidentally typed "Carol" … gah! It was a mistake, Ms. Dabbler, honest!)

Because at some point he knew it was Sherlock, obviously, or he wouldn't have used the shoes as bait. If he didn't know about Sherlock's interest at the time of the murder, it would be interesting to know how he worked it out later.

However, I always took the Carl Powers story as another instance of poetic license … as an indication that Sherlock and Jim were somehow linked (by the fates, by karma, something) from the very start, and their eventual death struggle was written in the stars. :smile: There's a whiff of fatalism hovering over Sherlock at times, don't you think?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

...However, I always took the Carl Powers story as another instance of poetic license … as an indication that Sherlock and Jim were somehow linked (by the fates, by karma, something) from the very start, and their eventual death struggle was written in the stars. :smile: There's a whiff of fatalism hovering over Sherlock at times, don't you think?

I agree about the fatalism, which to me is most pronounced by the time they introduce Eurus, which kicks up the nods to the ancient greeks more than a notch. To me, Moriarty and Sherlock are like old enemies from past lives. It's interesting to think what they must all have been like at that age, (the Carl Powers time) taking into account Eurus was already institutionalised and  Mycroft probably as imperious as ever.

Perhaps, as a criminal, Moriarty was from the start a particular kind of deranged mixed with devious that only Sherlock could understand and identify. Maybe, also, if we're allowed to fill in the backstory, having lost a hyper intelligent, criminally inclined sister, Sherlock might have started to subconsciously seek ingenius criminals elsewhere, whilst on some level really looking for her? (I know, it's giving them too much credit for planning!)

• Like 3

Further discussion of "the Christmas visit" has been moved to the "Final Problem" thread, beginning with the December 30 (2018) posts.

• Thanks 1