The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread

Caya

I have question about cats for anyone who has knowledge about... uhmmm... the way they mate.

My sis-in-law insists that female cats can't reject when male cats want to mate with her. (there is a reasonable story behind regarding why we talked about this) so female cats can't do anything about it. And she insisted that she found out from reliable source. I have been bugged by this before but I don't know enough to rebuke her claim, I just don't believe it yet.

For what I understand, female cats has to be willing for the male to have successful process that results in pregnancy, it has something to do with position and cycles. I tried a quick google, but haven't found sources that I really trust and don't have the time to try more, instead I found that those sources that support her claims are unreliable or questionable at the very least, without proper details and information backup, or some web like quora, yahoo, youtube where basically anyone can say anything. (Hmmmm I wonder how if there are trolls, a lot of trolls who deliberately post twisted facts using these platforms, would it screw up the 'truth' in the future? Especially for those who doesn't bother to fact check and help spreading incorrect information? The other day I heard someone confidently telling her friend on the beach that dog's life span is 5 years and she bought it).

Anyway, I'm still pretty sure that she is not right. Anyone knows?

31 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

My sis-in-law insists that female cats can't reject when male cats want to mate with her.

Not strictly true. My former neighbors had a pretty female cat that they wanted kittens from, so they got a similar-looking male cat -- but she refused to have anything to do with him, even when she was in heat.

35 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

For what I understand, female cats has to be willing for the male to have successful process that results in pregnancy, it has something to do with position and cycles.

Pretty much true.  Human females of a certain age range are generally fertile (i.e., impregnable) once a month, whereas female cats are fertile only about twice a year.  At that time (known as "heat"), she will generally be really hot to trot, as in desperate.  A female house cat in heat will turn into an escape artist, lookin' for fellas, and will yowl her little head off.  Meanwhile, all the male cats in the area will be able to smell her "heat" pheromones, and will come looking for her.  This is why a female cat is called a "queen" -- when in heat, she will be surrounded by her "court," meaning any male cat that can get to her.

When your SiL said that female cats cannot refuse males, she may have been thinking if the fact that a female in heat doesn't generally WANT to refuse a male.

• Thanks 2

I agree … it's not that female cats can't be choosy, they just generally don't want to be. But I think they're perfectly capable of refusing any attention they don't want. But that's just based on observation, I don't know the science behind it.

I have never heard the term "queen" applied to a cat. Interesting. It fits.

• Thanks 1

Your sis-in-law might've been confused by the fact that a female cat generally screams and hits the tom after the act, but that's not because she wasn't a willing participant but because of certain ... anatomical peculiarities of the male cat (not gonna spell it out here, but it hurts).

• Like 2

When our cat was in heat, she would very elegantly lie next to the front door and purr while she listened to the suiters fighting for her attention outside. But she never wanted to go out and meet them. As a kid, I opened the door for her multiple times before my parents could stop me and while we did once have to get rid of a tommy who rushed inside, her royal highness never accepted my offer, even though she was not an indoor cat and went hunting outside pretty frequently. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

When your SiL said that female cats cannot refuse males, she may have been thinking if the fact that a female in heat doesn't generally WANT to refuse a male.

Actually she told me female cats are being raped (sometimes for days or by multiple cats) without any ability to refuse, and that is how cruel nature is. I have no idea which one started it, she or her friend because they both believe the same thing. And it was a very firm belief, not just a doubtful or passing remarks, she seemed very unshakably sure about it. (she told me how her friend 'helped' a female cat escaped from chasing male cats who obviously tried to rape her by pouring water or throwing things. :confused2:)

I remember having my jaw hanging and asked something about "Are you sure? Because I don't think so." But I doubted myself too because there are nasty mating in other animal world. And she tried to convince me in a way that I though she had done her research. She even asked me to try to read about it If I didn't trust her because it's true and 'everywhere'. I still didn't believe her, but didn't have time to find out more and forgot about it.

When the conversation again went on that route, I told her that I still don't believe it and will go and look for some information. Then as previous post I saw where she might get her info, gahhhh... I really wanted to find out because I was sure it's wrong wrong wrong but even when  there are convincing articles I said I'd ask my 'nerdy friends' (sorry guys :D that is a compliment and means I trust you :) ). My this Sil is a smart person, but she probably doesn't have a lot of interest in learning too much into something. Still it's quite appealing to me on how quickly someone takes and shares information that she doesn't bother to fact-check first.

Then when I told her that her information was incorrect with brief explanation, she quickly accepted and believe what I said (whattttt!!! shouldn't she fact check me or at very least try to defend on something she believes in first? I wouldn't bother in the first place if she was just casual and wasn't seem so painstakingly sure. So what does she uses as a base for trust? An article from unreliable source? Someone's word? Just like that?). 

Is it us (me) who don't enjoy life XD and being too uptight about you shouldn't spread something meant as information before you do your proper research? It's bothering me about how casual she absorbs things people say or some questionable article! I think I should be weary about the things she said in the past, because she is actually the one that I can have conversation with about quite a lot of things and I definitely had believed some of the things she said (that I had no way of fact checking)

13 hours ago, Caya said:

anatomical peculiarities of the male cat (not gonna spell it out here, but it hurts).

Yah I know about that. Ghastly, but I read that is a way to 'make sure' that the mating is successful. 

Just to confuse the issue, a vet that I trusted told me that despite all of the above, cats are occasionally raped, as in against their will.  She said it's not common, but thought it might explain why one of our girl cats *hated* boy cats.  Never thought to ask where she got that info (and she's dead now).  Maybe my current vet can fill me in.

I could see how someone might get that impression.  My brother has two cats, a very small female and a very large male, and it's not uncommon to see her running away from him, and when caught, he bites the back of her neck to hold her down and "does his thing".

'Rape' seems a bit of an overly emotive way to describe cats mating imho. 

What I would describe as rape in the animal kingdom are when different species attack each other, that's very disturbing (fur seals and penguins, dolphins and porpoises etc). This is a cheery topic. 

2 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

'Rape' seems a bit of an overly emotive way to describe cats mating imho.

My vet clearly wasn't using the term for cat-mating in general, only for the rare situations where the female was violently opposed to mating with a particular male who forced himself on her anyhow.

15 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Is it us (me) who don't enjoy life XD and being too uptight about you shouldn't spread something meant as information before you do your proper research? It's bothering me about how casual she absorbs things people say or some questionable article! I think I should be weary about the things she said in the past, because she is actually the one that I can have conversation with about quite a lot of things and I definitely had believed some of the things she said (that I had no way of fact checking)

Okay, just in case I express an opinion in the future:

DISCLAIMER NOTICE

The information contained in Arcadia's comments is for general entertainment purposes only. When the occasion warrants, some small attempt to be factual is made; however, Arcadia assumes no responsibility for errors, falsehoods or omissions in her remarks. In no instance shall Arcadia be liable for any special, routine, direct, indirect, consequential, inconsequential, incidental or deliberate damages, or in fact any damages whatsoever, arising out of or in connection with taking her word as gospel.

Full disclaimer available at www.bullsh*t.haha.

:P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hey, you don't need to be a Sherlock Holmes to know that disclaimer should follow immediately after every or collective statement. So unless you make all those disclaimer as your signature, whatever you say will still be accountable and all your remarks should contain factual information. Failure to do so will result in assortment of shoes and puns.

In any case that your statement is deemed questionable, please keep in mind that it is shoe-able!!   :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since I'm too lazy to change my signature, I guess I'll just have to fortify my laptop against a barrage of shoe puns. I'm sure there's an app for that. :tongue: 

If I bought it, it would only be me or him wearing it. I'm sure it would look nicer on him and people would prefer to see him.

(I know you probably would prefer to see me wearing it but let's not be selfish :p) 

I am in shape! Round is a shape!

Screenshot_2018-10-01-19-06-42_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, VBS, you have more grey hair than I thought you would. Otherwise you look exactly as I imagined you.

Yah working life is not very suitable for my appearance, I don't look like what I used to be, but you have to admit there is actually  nothing to object about my nose, right? 

Screenshot_2018-10-02-14-30-22_1.jpg

Sometimes most amount of coffee is not enouf woof woof  to wake me up.. 

• Like 1