The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread

Caya

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Do they still make tinsel? 

I haven't seen any on a tree in years, but I kind of think I've seen them for sale in places like dollar stores? Perhaps they are frowned on now for ecological reasons or something?

Those old foil ones … we loved them, but every time you walked past on our carpeted floor they'd reach out and give you a little electrical jolt. :D Sometimes it wasn't that little either! And those crazy mylar ones wouldn't stay on the tree, that's when we gave up on them.

I have a confession to make (!)… I bought an artificial tree this year. 😮  First time anyone in our family has done so, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. But I just need to work less hard at Christmas; keeping up all the family traditions almost did me in, last year. I was thoroughly exhausted, and I don't want to do that again. So fake tree it is. It's pretty enough, but I do miss the fir tree smell.

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

So fake tree it is. It's pretty enough, but I do miss the fir tree smell.

You could get a can of pine air freshener.  That's what I did one year.  Didn't fool anybody, I suppose, but it made me feel a little better.

I wonder if they make pine-scented candles? That would last longer, methinks. (And maybe smell more natural?) Hopefully I'll get a chance to check, I can't get free to go shopping until Thursday. Argh.

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I wonder if they make pine-scented candles? That would last longer, methinks. (And maybe smell more natural?)

Good idea!  And  pretty sure I've seen them in catalogs, just don't recall which ones.  Why don't you look online?  You might even find candles made with real balsam fir, which would smell even nicer.  Or incense.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, we actually have a shop in town that handmakes scented soy candles, and tada! they have several pine/fir scents. Heading downtown tomorrow. That's for putting the idea in my head, Carol!

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 5:25 AM, Arcadia said:

I wonder if they make pine-scented candles? That would last longer, methinks. (And maybe smell more natural?) Hopefully I'll get a chance to check, I can't get free to go shopping until Thursday. Argh.

Absolutely they do.  Pine-scented candles are everywhere.  No need to go to a fancy department store--Walgreens and the dollar stores have them, next to their cinnamon and peppermint stick & Christmas cookie candles.

I'd advise caution when burning them in smaller spaces though, as they can be overpowering.  My boss burns one in her tiny office and the smell wafts out into the public areas, as well as my work area.  It burns the nose.  I love the scent of fresh pine but this is more like sticking one's head into a bathroom recently scrubbed violently with Pine-Sol.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Well, I like to support independent artisans whenever I can, so only the handmade ones for me! Picked one up today, it's exactly what I needed … now the house even smells like Christmas. Time to make wassail.

57 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

When your family or friends force you to smile for picture.

I'm pretty sure that my father actually said "cheese" in his younger days. At least that's how he always looked in pictures.  Thank goodness he adopted a more natural smile later on.

• Haha 1

Waitaminnit … what causes icicles to grow up from the ground? I've never seen that before! No wonder the squirrels are so curious.

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Waitaminnit … what causes icicles to grow up from the ground?

Regular icicles grow downward like stalactites.  But if some of the drips reach the ground, they'll create reverse icicles that grow upward like stalagmites.  I've seen some an inch or two high; the ones in the photos are pretty impressive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Regular icicles grow downward like stalactites.  But if some of the drips reach the ground, they'll create reverse icicles that grow upward like stalagmites.  I've seen some an inch or two high; the ones in the photos are pretty impressive.

Well, I figured … but wow. All I can think is that the ground must be so cold they freeze almost on contact … otherwise wouldn't they just run down the side of the, er, stalagmite? And that three-pronged one, wow. Anyway, it's cool. As in neato. :smile: (Obviously I'm a bit of a nerd about icicles and other such wintry things.... :D

• Like 1

Ooooo. seSfbXh.png?1

Actually, those I kind of know, but I didn't realize they could get that big. When we lived in the Northwest, our cats used to start one rolling just by walking, then would chase them down the hill. :D They'd only get to about an inch or so in diameter, though. The snowrollers, I mean, not the cats.

• Like 1

I had never seen them or even heard of them.  Then one day we were out driving, and I wondered what the heck the farmer had been doing out in that field.  Then I saw the same thing in a field on the other side of the highway.  Then in another field and another, for miles and miles.  As I recall, the rollers were mostly around a foot or two (half a meter or so) long and across.  It apparently takes snow of just the right consistency, plus a strong steady wind in a wide-open area.  I'd guess it was this storm that did it.

The next day I got an email from my third-grade teacher, who is needless to say older than me (about 80 at that time), and she'd never heard of them before either.

P.S.:  I see you got your nose fixed!  :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I had never seen them or even heard of them.  Then one day we were out driving, and I wondered what the heck the farmer had been doing out in that field.  Then I saw the same thing in a field on the other side of the highway.  Then in another field and another, for miles and miles.  As I recall, the rollers were mostly around a foot or two (half a meter or so) long and across.  It apparently takes snow of just the right consistency, plus a strong steady wind in a wide-open area.  I'd guess it was this storm that did it.

Awesome. :inlove:

I seem to remember the snow had to be pretty fluffy on top but fairly dense underneath in order for the kitties to create their version. Too soft all the way through, and the cat would simply disappear into the snow. :D Actually, they almost did anyway, being white cats. Somewhere I have a picture of them walking down the snow covered road; unless you know where to look, you can hardly tell they're there. They were half Persian; beautiful cats.

Like this, only white.....

FuNyRSA.jpg