The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread

Caya

Yeah, when I was a kid and our cat had kittens, she pretty much wanted to be left alone. I've never had dealings with a stray cat, so I don't know if that's normal or not … but it's logical to me that she would feel safer with her helpful hoomans around. Where as a cat that has a nice, safe home might be perfectly comfortable being alone during childbirth.

I do remember she seemed glad to see us after the kittens were born; gave her an opportunity to eat and take care of business while we watched the kids. :smile: 

• Thanks 1

That reminds me of a picture I saw of my brother's cat the other day.  (Not mine, my sister-in-law took these.)

This is Winifred.  She's very skittish and doesn't like anyone touching her, but she will try to steal my food.

tumblr_pw9j48fbBF1srd358o1_r1_500.png

This is Henry.  He is very social and cuddly, he loves the loves.

tumblr_pw9j48fbBF1srd358o2_640.png

tumblr_pw9j48fbBF1srd358o3_640.png

My brother and his family take trips a lot, so I often catsit for them.  They almost feel like my cats, lol.

• Like 3

Caya, how did you get your picture to appear so large?  Mine are still posting small.  :bemused:

10 hours ago, Artemis said:

Caya, how did you get your picture to appear so large?  Mine are still posting small.

I can't speak for Caya, but it may simply be one of those weird things that the current forum software does -- or refuses to do.  (For example, my editor toolbar has only about two thirds as many buttons as anybody else's -- and some long-time members can't even log in any more.)

Let's see what happens if I repost one of your photos (after clicking to enlarge it):

Added:  Yup -- the forum's being weird again.   :blink:  (Very handsome kitty, though!)

I wonder, Artemis, if the device you're using or the website where you store the photos might be a factor too. If you had any way of experimenting with different versions of either one, you might find out if that's the issue. I suppose even your internet provider might be a factor … ? I've got pretty state of the art wifi simply by virtue of where I live, but my brother, 200 miles to the south, can barely get on the web with his, even though his device is (or was) newer than mine.

@Arcadia, I don’t think it could be any of those things.  I use many different devices and many different websites from which to post photos.  My internet connection is good, and I’ve had the same provider for years.

Plus, a few months back this was an issue with everyone’s photos, not just mine.  I made a post about it in March (I think), and it looked like everyone was affected.  But now it appears to have been fixed for everyone else?  No fair, lol.

:( 

• Sad 1

I wonder if perhaps there was some sort of restriction placed on me back when I was posting a lot of photos in the Marvel thread?  Could that have something to do with it?

Edit: I just noticed that Pseud’s pictures are still small.  Maybe it’s only working for mods?

Hmmmmm.

tumblr_ohb1egrb101vww08oo1_250.gif

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

I wonder if perhaps there was some sort of restriction placed on me back when I was posting a lot of photos in the Marvel thread?  Could that have something to do with it?

That's a possibility.  The software does impose upper limits on certain other things, so that could be another one.

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

I just noticed that Pseud’s pictures are still small.  Maybe it’s only working for mods?

And that's another possibility!  If a few more non-mods would kindly post some images, we'd have more data.

12 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:
15 hours ago, Artemis said:

I just noticed that Pseud’s pictures are still small.  Maybe it’s only working for mods?

And that's another possibility!  If a few more non-mods would kindly post some images, we'd have more data

There's a thought. I notice VBS's last couple of posts are thumbnails you have to click on to see full size. But if you scroll back to June, she's got one (non-clickable) full sized one.

Too bad we can't still take a peek at the formatting, that might explain much. Argh.

• Like 1

Let me show you a magic trick..

20190816-214252.jpg

20190816-214252.jpg

And this is the judgemental face from my boy to you because! as a punishment for You seeeeee but you don't observe and never pay attention! Tsk guys! Moriarty would be disappointed..!

20190217-071843.jpg

20190217-071843.jpg

Sometimes ago Caya had found the solution and posted about it, that if you just put the code directly it would appear as thumbnail or small image, but if you put our old bbc code by adding [ i m g] in front of the picture link code and close it with [ / I m g ] it would appear big. *remove space for codes*

Now if I remember correctly Caya posted it in the thread 'adding picture...' but Carol moved it here because Caya tested it with animal pictures that Carol maybe thinks belong to here (or vice versa, I believe it's my first guess). It was then buried under many other posts here.

How is my detective work, should I start changing my beverage? Aiz, I actually just looking for excuse to post my dog picture since I miss him dearly, have been away for three weeks.

Eta: the reason why I have two types of image is simply because I didn't want my images to be too jarring (since even the 'small' one looks big enough for my phone) or I just forgot to add the codes.

• Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Sometimes ago Caya had found the solution and posted about it, that if you just put the code directly it would appear as thumbnail or small image, but if you put our old bbc code by adding [ i m g] in front of the picture link code and close it with [ / I m g ] it would appear big. *remove space for codes*

Thanks, VBS!  Yes, that may explain it -- I always use the BBC Code, simply from force of habit (it used to be necessary).  So, Artemis, how have you been posting your images -- with or without?

It's nice to have the option, actually.  There are times when the full-size picture is just too honkin' big.

23 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Let's see what happens if I repost one of your photos (after clicking to enlarge it):

Added:  Yup -- the forum's being weird again.   :blink:  (Very handsome kitty, though!)

OK, and what does that look like without the "img" codes?

Added:  Aha!!!!

But … how did you … wait, when you post an image, you actually type in the "img" code before and after it?

Because imgur does that for me....

mrqod6O.jpg

mrqod6O.jpg

OMG.

• Haha 1

Thank you VBS!  I never saw Caya's solution post.  I've been using the "insert image from URL" feature, or sometimes just copying the image directly into the box (which doesn't always work).  I hadn't tried using the codes.  I'm gonna test this later!

What's still a little weird though is that the "insert image" feature was working normally for a long time, and then it just suddenly started making pictures small.  :bemused:  Why the change, I wonder?

By the way, your dog is adorable!  What a handsome boy!  What breed of dog is he?  I'm not sure I've ever seen one like him.

I always miss my dogs when I'm gone, too.

• Like 1

Hey Dabbler, remember when we were talking about cats being vacuumed? We should read our own forum more often:

https://www.sherlockforum.com/forum/topic/2021-the-cute-animal-picsvideos-thread/?do=findComment&comment=20207

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2019 at 6:10 PM, kimber8ada said:

We adopted a stray that turned out to be pregnant and when her time came she acted the same way, wanting me or my mother to stay with her and following us if we left. She had two healthy kittens. Her behavior surprised me because I was raised on a farm with lots of barn cats who would just appear with their kittens. My mother had a house cat when I was young who had her kittens in my brothers sock drawer lol,

On 8/14/2019 at 10:24 AM, Arcadia said:

Yeah, when I was a kid and our cat had kittens, she pretty much wanted to be left alone. I've never had dealings with a stray cat, so I don't know if that's normal or not … but it's logical to me that she would feel safer with her helpful hoomans around. Where as a cat that has a nice, safe home might be perfectly comfortable being alone during childbirth.

I do remember she seemed glad to see us after the kittens were born; gave her an opportunity to eat and take care of business while we watched the kids. :smile: 

Yes that makes a lot of sense. We just found out that it's very costly here to sterilize her, and other options like shelter/sterilization drive/self-adopt are not applicable/ideal. There is another stray dog that has decided to stay around. We bathed him the other day, and he is an angel, very smart and wel behaved. There seems to be other kind souls who feeds him as well.

Sigh, ironically, the biggest concern about strays is not that they would starve, but whether someone would harm them.

• Sad 1

On 8/17/2019 at 9:52 AM, Artemis said:

By the way, your dog is adorable!  What a handsome boy!  What breed of dog is he?  I'm not sure I've ever seen one like him.

Thank you! He is, the smartest and bestest boy. According to the friend I adopted him from, his dad is a shihtzu. His mom is poodle which I can confirm. I think he got mom's face (thankfully) and dad's fur and body shape. He needs haircut every 2-3 weeks, which I do myself for bonding and savings of course..

On 8/17/2019 at 9:52 AM, Artemis said:

I always miss my dogs when I'm gone, too.

Yah, I really really miss him and dream about him a lot. Will see him Thursday.

I really wish we can bring pets everywhere we go one day. One fine day.

20190818-210956.jpg And here is his messy face after playing.

And another dog so that it's less obvious that I don't come here as excuse to post my dog's pic.

20190818-213222.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Carol, what happened!!!???!!!! When did you become albino????!!!

Not albino (note that my eyes are dark, rather than pink) -- just getting a head start on my winter plumage, which helps me hide in the snow.

• Like 1

Oh thank goodness. I thought maybe you'd had a bad fright that turned your hair all white.