The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread

Caya

6 hours ago, Caya said:

I loved the Mad Marginals by Sergio Aragonés best. So much humor in such a tiny space. :smile:

Now that you mention it, that sounds familiar -- but only vaguely, and Wikipedia isn't very specific.  Can you cite any examples?

I believe you once mentioned (though I can't seem to find it) that what was available in Vienna was the German edition of Mad, with a good bit of local content.  But the Marginals made the trip intact?

Marginals were more or less without words (just an odd sign or the like here and there), so yes they stayed - German magazines have margins too. :smile:

Sidenote: When googling, I realized that my eyes were a whole lot better when I last looked at these :lol: :cry: , so here's one example I found that was scanned in a reasonably eyes-friendly size:

RDywS1k.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not familiar with those comic, looks interesting.

But don't mind me, I'm just drying my cat.

4110c35b0e83ee7f13f68730f9.jpg

aaaanndddd..... waking up Khan in 3...2....

7a8173535eb9bcd50cec5d6534.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Caya said:

my eyes were a whole lot better when I last looked at these :lol: :cry: , so here's one example I found that was scanned in a reasonably eyes-friendly size:

Thank you!  (I still needed a magnifying glass for a couple of fine details.)  But yeah, that style looks familiar -- and they're cute.  I don't get the one on the outside of the building, though.  Anyone care to explain it to me?

@Van Buren Supernova -- I would have given you a  :huh:  response for the first photo and  :lol4:  for the second one, so I compromised on a generic "Like."  I can't believe that the cat got up there by herself -- any idea how that came about -- maybe Photoshop?

10 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

any idea how that came about -- maybe Photoshop?

I believe it's probably a slipping incident by the cat. Not exactly similar, but I saw cats overestimate their ability to climb on weird narrow places, and got stuck. So I don't think it's some kind of staged photo, it would be tremendously difficult to force a cat to do that and I don't think it's photoshop.

Maybe this would make you feel better?XD

f1e0fb508dbd11c6e5bdf482ac.jpg

17 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I believe it's probably a slipping incident by the cat. Not exactly similar, but I saw cats overestimate their ability to climb on weird narrow places, and got stuck. So I don't think it's some kind of staged photo, it would be tremendously difficult to force a cat to do that and I don't think it's photoshop.

It could be a cat photographed while scratching its left ear, then rotated 90 degrees and Photoshopped onto a bathroom photo.  Alternatively, it could have been climbing up those shelves to the left, misjudged its next move, and as you say, slipped -- and grabbed the shower-curtain rod in desperation.  In any case, if it's for real, I sure hope somebody rescued the poor thing immediately after the shutter clicked!

17 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Maybe this would make you feel better?

Nope!  But even if it happens to slip, my money is on the kitten.

That's literally their German name, Flusspferd (German is a simple language sometimes; another example, manatees are Seekühe, sea cows).

08OLKjS.jpeg

1 hour ago, Caya said:

German is a simple language sometimes; another example, manatees are Seekühe, sea cows

"Sea cow" is an alternative name for a manatee in English.

1 hour ago, Caya said:

That's literally their German name, Flusspferd

Do you happen to know if that was a direct translation from the Greek word "hippopotamus"?

No idea, sorry, but I rather doubt it, because they were originally called Nilpferde, Nile horses.

PFitUqe.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/15/2020 at 1:06 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Thank you!  (I still needed a magnifying glass for a couple of fine details.)  But yeah, that style looks familiar -- and they're cute.  I don't get the one on the outside of the building, though.  Anyone care to explain it to me?

That one took me awhile too, but it's a guy climbing out of a window to hide from the husband of the woman he'd just been, uh, with. I think he's whistling at the window cleaner to come get him. Once I figured it out, I didn't laugh because my sympathy is with the cuckolded husband. :rolleyes: 

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

it's a guy climbing out of a window to hide from the husband of the woman he'd just been, uh, with. I think he's whistling at the window cleaner to come get him.

Thanks -- that does indeed seem to be the situation, now that you mention it.  None of them are all that funny, really (more like whimsical?).

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know how to ‘react’ to this, lol.  I feel a little sorry for the swans, but BYRDKONTAIN and HONKHALT are hilarious.  I guess it’s not that much different than when I used to wrap my cat up in a blanket to cut his nails, lol.

2 hours ago, Artemis said:

I guess it’s not that much different than when I used to wrap my cat up in a blanket to cut his nails, lol.

Exactly what I was thinking (except that we have an official Cat Sack -- which happens to be blue).

• Like 1

Ohhh I wish I had known about those back then.  It would have made my life so much easier!

The model we have is great.  It has a separate zipper for each leg, the tail, and the belly, as well as the main zipper on the top -- so you can access any body part individually.

One of our cats was on transdermal methimazole for an overactive thyroid, meaning that I had to massage a dab of gel onto the inside of her pointy little ear twice a day.  She didn't seem to mind it, but she did tend to get bored and want to wander off before I was quite done.  So I started putting her in the Sack, with all zippers zipped (and just her head sticking out), so she knew she couldn't walk away.  But she also knew that I wasn't hurting her, and she knew I'd soon be done, so she just waited patiently for me to release her.

It's also very helpful when administering sub-cutaneous fluids.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

The model we have is great.  It has a separate zipper for each leg, the tail, and the belly, as well as the main zipper on the top -- so you can access any body part individually.

I pulled out our Cat Sack to check, and I misspoke just a bit.  Here's the exact model: http://www.fourflags.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.4192/.f 

What it actually has is 1) a velcro neck band (which absolutely keeps the cat from jumping out of the sack!), 2) a two-way head-to-tail top zipper (like on some parkas, so you can open either end -- or both), 3) two small vertical zippers for individual access to the front legs and paws, and 4) a two-way throat-to-butt bottom zipper.  In any case, you can pretty well get at what you need to get at while still enclosing the rest of the cat's body.

I'm not a fan of The daily mail, but it's quite funny. I've heard they use it for peacocks as well!
  • Like 1

I hadn't noticed that byline, but I'm not surprised -- the Daily Mail tends to have great photos.  It's just that (as far as I've been able to tell) their "reporters" don't generally bother going to the scene with the photographers, they just stay at their desks and write articles based on what they see in the photos, which leads to the occasional howler.

For example, the "reporter" who wrote about the North Gower filming for "The Lying Detective" assumed that the rain was real, and couldn't figure out how Martin Freeman had stayed dry in his scenes.

• 2 weeks later...

Della the cat with her patchwork family of biological and adopted children:

• Like 3