The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread

Caya

Oh geez, you want me to be practical? Good grief, Dabbler! :D 

• Tongue 1

I was led to believe that there is no such thing as a cat-proof barrier, given a reasonably determined cat, or is there? :huh:

WLYOREC.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Caya said:

I was led to believe that there is no such thing as a cat-proof barrier

"Cat-proof" is a relative term!

A friend's cat (the same one who got the sweaters out of his dresser drawer [link]) could open the door from his apartment into the hallway (because there happened to be a nice perch right next to the door, where she could sit and fiddle with the knob), and would then wait for a friendly neighbor to let her outside.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2021 at 5:00 PM, Caya said:

Jrmguod.jpg

That's not a crime, that's an improvement!

• Like 3

I like puzzle and so glad that I have dog instead of cat.

I am convinced that they don't care about human misery.

I mean, look at this:

places-where-cats-shouldnt-be-6063384626

and

places-where-cats-shouldnt-be-6063360e9b

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The one you can see is a Twitter embed, the others are Imgur. That's odd - can you see anything at Imgur directly, or is the page blocked for you?

VBS often has trouble viewing Imgur images, I'm not sure why.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

VBS often has trouble viewing Imgur images, I'm not sure why.

Yes, I quit trying to figure out why. Sometimes I see them fine, sometimes I don't. I asked because I thought they are from the same source. Recently it was fine, but not today.

In fact, I spent too much unnecessary time, forum kicked me out probably about twenty or more times. For long post I needed to log in couple of times, at least it still kept my draft... until the last post I did in 'A Question' thread. Couldn't recover after it kicked me out the third time and had to write from scratch, which was %@%#%$^. But nevermind, I quit trying to figure out why and always blame my nose. That keeps my blood pressure low. :cowdance:

P.S. This short post needs three log-ins and three captcha tests.

Andddddd... now I see everything fine! Including a bunch of little Carols etc.

I didn't move from couple of minutes ago when I failed to see them.

important-animal-images-funny-pics-109-6

The cat is me and the bowl or whatever is the cozyness of this forum's hatred of my nose.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

For long post I needed to log in couple of times, at least it still kept my draft... until the last post I did in 'A Question' thread. Couldn't recover after it kicked me out the third time and had to write from scratch, which was %@%#%$^

It's times like that when I tell myself I should have been copying my post-in-progress (Ctrl-C) every so often.

6 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

.S. This short post needs three log-ins and three captcha tests.

Did the captcha work properly, at least?

The other day I wanted to order some garden seeds from a very reputable company's website.  As soon as I put my first item in the cart, it added a packet of free mystery seeds.  I do not want free mystery seeds!  If it was something I wanted, I would have ordered it already.  And if it's something I don't want, it'll just go to waste, and I hate letting seeds die.  So I clicked that line's Delete button.  It went away, but then came right back.  I checked that line's Select box and then clicked the Delete Selected Items button.  Same result.  I changed that line's Quantity Ordered to zero.  It immediately went back to one.  I went to their Contact Us page and explained in detail why I'm not ordering from them this year.  I filled out the Captcha box very carefully and even checked it a few extra times.  When I hit the Submit button, it said Invalid Captcha -- and erased my entire message!  I reconstructed it in an email and added a comment about their Captcha procedure.  That went through, and I got a very nice response the very next day, saying their techs are already aware of the Captcha problem and are working on it, and she will submit my suggestion about not requiring people to accept free seeds.  We'll see what happens next year!

On 4/8/2021 at 1:16 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I mean, look at this:

Oh, I don't know. If I were being arrested and forced to lie face down on cement with my hands tied behind my back, I think I'd find a nice soft warm kitty on my back very comforting.

On 4/8/2021 at 1:16 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Geez, that cat must weigh a ton. 😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2021 at 1:15 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

It's times like that when I tell myself I should have been copying my post-in-progress (Ctrl-C) every so often.

I'm not my phone and sometime highlighting what to copy gets a bit tedious (it shouldn't, but that day the option seems to show only paste and others, and that would mess up, so I rely on the autosave and restorer, it works until that very post). It's weird I know.

Aha!! I have proof:

20210410-110643.jpg there is no copy option and nothing I could do about it, except being careful not to click paste and replace whatever I had written. I do have special relationship with digital world, don't I?

On 4/9/2021 at 1:15 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:
On 4/8/2021 at 6:42 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Did the captcha work properly, at least?

Surprisingly, it was. The most they asked me to spot palm trees three times. Considered that I had experienced clicking on zebra cross, traffic light mundane times, that it good for me.

@seed. That is very nice of you. I was the opposite, always have too much optimism on gardening I welcome free seeds. Went to garden exhibition and brought back a lot, didn't ask, but didn't refuse. Ended up with a lot of seeds that I haven't planted yet. But I know my ability now, I only buy hardy plants that could sustain my frequent neglects, and they are well so far.

And I'm surprised you managed to get reply. My complain, for example about Nat Geo persistent waste of paper, sending me subscription forms etc ten over years after I stopped, was never answered. When I am mad enough to write about something, it hardly go through, like when I wrote about a very questionable vet practice that could be dangerous, I couldn't even get it submitted. Oh well.

On topic!

errr, can we blame them? I mean, they actually 'get a room'

places-where-cats-shouldnt-be-60633b1f2c

Eta:

I actually have annoying kitty problem now, and in the past. I live in urban area, neighbor side by side, small apartment/house. And more than once neighbor's cats wrecked havoc in my place.

In apartment, we have a high ventilation (ventilation is needed) opening to the public corridor. Neighbor let their cat roamed free, and that bloody cat went in and too dumb to find way out. It ruined stuff, shit and scared us thinking there was a burglar. You would think that is traumatic for the cat not to come back.

Now, in house, which I experienced many times, they find my garden cozy and love to laze there. My garden is the messiest as most neighbors make theirs into hardened floor and keep minimum plant, while mine is semi grass and there are stretch of soil around that I plant many thing, including the one covering my front door. I don't mind them lounging there, in fact, I welcome them, but then they also shit, and cat shit smell is no joke (let's say they are not on kibble's diet only). I used vinegar to deter them, but it only last couple of days and it stink of holy vinegar. So I have to cover my pot with those spiky cat repellent. These are neighbor's cat who again, they let them roam as they please.

Another very unpleasant situation is I had to clean up my mom's incense pot, barely 10cm (4inch) diameter. She is Buddist and have pot for incense, and unknown cat decided to make it as toilet for its diarrhea while she was not here. I only notice because of the smell, it's nasty, not to mention how shitty it is considered the actual purpose of the pot.

I believe you guys at least have good distance, yard, from neighbor etc, otherwise have you considered what your cats do outside that could be inconvenient for others, especially urban area when I literally can't get away from other settlement?

16 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Oh, I don't know. If I were being arrested and forced to lie face down on cement with my hands tied behind my back, I think I'd find a nice soft warm kitty on my back very comforting.

At least check where your kitties are before you call plumber and IT for clogs and computer problem.

places-where-cats-shouldnt-be-60633d7956

places-where-cats-shouldnt-be-60642763b8

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2021 at 7:16 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I mean, look at this:

and

I don't see anything, I'd say my phone is to blame, I mean I don't see anything even if I use the desktop version.

6 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I don't see anything, I'd say my phone is to blame, I mean I don't see anything even if I use the desktop version.

Well, let's see -- the image is on a site called postimg.cc which I know nothing about.  When I search on it, I don't get much, but one person says their protective software sometimes blocks it, so maybe yours is doing the same thing.  It may be a subset of postimage.org, which I'm not familiar with either.

Wikipedia says that ".cc" is the country code for the Cocos Islands, but that it's being administered by outsiders as "the next .com."  It's fairly new so it's conceivable that your phone's protective software is blocking anything with that country code.

18 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I believe you guys at least have good distance, yard, from neighbor etc, otherwise have you considered what your cats do outside that could be inconvenient for others, especially urban area when I literally can't get away from other settlement?

Nope! :D

Seriously, I've always lived where there's a pretty big yard, and right now I have an indoor kitty. So it's not something I've ever had to worry about.  I'm feeling very spoiled right about now.........

Oops, I must have loaded this page just before VBS added this bit.

20 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I had to clean up my mom's incense pot, barely 10cm (4inch) diameter. She is Buddhist and have pot for incense, and unknown cat decided to make it as toilet for its diarrhea while she was not here.

:blink:   Did you tell your mom about it?

20 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Unless your property covers many acres, so that cats traveling, say, a kilometer in any direction would still be "at home," that could be a problem, because they don't care about property lines.  Cats will use any loose soil or similar substance as a toilet, they'll kill birds and small mammals, and they may get into fights with the neighbor's cats.  It's not safe for them either, considering that some neighbors use rat poison (and your cats may eat the poisoned rats), their cars may leak antifreeze (which cats love, but is deadly poison to them), they may fall asleep in the neighbor's shed and get closed in (possibly long enough to starve), etc.  For all of those reasons, our cats stay indoors, though they have lots of windows to look out of, and an enclosed porch where they can enjoy the sunshine.  I wish they could run through the grass and climb the trees, but that freedom would cut their life expectancy in half (in addition to possibly annoying the neighbors).

On 4/11/2021 at 7:43 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Unless your property covers many acres, so that cats traveling, say, a kilometer in any direction would still be "at home," that could be a problem, because they don't care about property lines.  Cats will use any loose soil or similar substance as a toilet, they'll kill birds and small mammals, and they may get into fights with the neighbor's cats.  It's not safe for them either, considering that some neighbors use rat poison (and your cats may eat the poisoned rats), their cars may leak antifreeze (which cats love, but is deadly poison to them), they may fall asleep in the neighbor's shed and get closed in (possibly long enough to starve), etc.  For all of those reasons, our cats stay indoors, though they have lots of windows to look out of, and an enclosed porch where they can enjoy the sunshine.  I wish they could run through the grass and climb the trees, but that freedom would cut their life expectancy in half (in addition to possibly annoying the neighbors).

Precisely.

That's why I find it irresponsible for the neighbors to let the cats roam like that (especially if they are not sterilized). I get that it's not easy to keep cat indoor sometimes, and of course it's 'convenient' that the cats do their business or wreck havoc elsewhere. But imagine this kind of living, where we barely have decent space for ourselves, sharing oh so very closely (there are many other woes in apartment life and that is whole other long story) and have to face this shitty problem without the benefit of having the cat (those rascals don't care to show any love grmbl). 

And you are right about it being dangerous, I saw a facebook post about a guy proudly post a picture of a cat he hang on the tree in his group about bird enthusiastic, that he finally managed to catch the culprits who has been killing his expensive birds. Some justice was done to get the guy, he was punished, there should never be enough reason to hurt animal, however, imagine that from that guy's POV, the cat is a pest who keep destroying his possession and invading his home, although there are better ways.

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

of course it's 'convenient' that the cats do their business or wreck havoc elsewhere.

I once lived in a house on a street lined with huge trees, which was very nice except that the trees tended to block the illumination from the street lamps (also one of them dropped an enormous limb on the roof of my car, but that's a different rant).  The people in the house next door had a perfectly nice back yard, but would let their two Newfoundland dogs [link] roam the neighborhood.  The Newfies, although they were huge, were very friendly and gentle, so it wasn't them per se that I minded, it was coming home after dark and stepping out of my car into a shadow and finding that one of the gentle giants had left a deposit there (which was of course also huge).

So A] I understand your woes, but B] it could be worse.

• Tongue 1

I have to admit, even though I know it puts them at greater physical risk (including the risk of annoying the neighbors :smile: ) I think it's better for a cat's mental health if they're allowed outside. My current roommate has two cats that are allowed to roam; whereas my indoor kitty isn't, for reasons. I think the two roaming kitties, in spite of the occasional tick and being chased by dogs etc etc, are much more content with their lives, judging by their behavior. My kitty's a little more uptight and requires more attention. Which I'm happy to give her, but sometimes she clearly wants something besides me and string.

And the roaming kitties are inside most of the time anyway, because it's comfy. But they choose to be inside, instead of being forced to be inside, and I think that makes it more pleasant for them.

If I ever get my own place to live, I hope I can start letting my indoor kitty go out. She'll be supervised, and it will be daytime only, but I know there's still a risk that wouldn't exist if I kept her indoors exclusively. But I think the contentment she will achieve will offset the risk. If the neighbors complain about her, though, I may have to reset my thinking. But it's never been an issue in the past with any of my other (roaming) cats, I doubt if it will be now.

I have the option to live in a less crowded area, though. If I had to live in close proximity to other people, I might change my thinking. I might also go mad; I can't think of anything that sounds worse than living near a bunch of humans!

14 hours ago, Arcadia said:

even though I know it puts them at greater physical risk (including the risk of annoying the neighbors :smile: ) I think it's better for a cat's mental health if they're allowed outside

I think it partly depends on the cat and what they're used to.  A neighbor tried to convert her cat (who was used to going out) into an indoor kitty, but the dear feline made it quite clear that that was NOT an option (she would walk over to the front door, squat, make sure the neighbor was watching, and pee on the carpet).  Our cats were all strays who asked us to take them in, and they seem quite content to stay indoors where it's warm and there's food, because they know it wasn't like that outside.

I won't dispute that they might be happier if they could go outside sometimes, but since they do seem content indoors, we don't think it's worth cutting their life expectancy in half.  It's a judgement call.

On 4/16/2021 at 12:47 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

we don't think it's worth cutting their life expectancy in half.

Is that an actual statistic, or a generalization?

And what is the life expectancy of a cat these days, anyway? I seem to remember when I was a kid they were never expected to last very long, but of course back then they were always tossed out at night. Seems rather barbaric now, doesn't it? 😞 

33 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Is that an actual statistic, or a generalization?

Statistics are generalizations, aren't they?   :P

Nobody online seems to have any actual statistics, but their generalities jibe fairly well with my experience.  The indoor-outdoor cats we brought home from the shelter when I was a kid lived anywhere from one day to about eight years (mostly they got run over).  They were spayed, they were fed good-quality canned cat food, and they spent their nights in the house.  The (mostly) strays that Alex and I have taken in have additionally had regular veterinary checkups and live strictly indoors, and (except for one poor fellow who already had FeLV) have all lived from twelve to nineteen years.

There are exceptions, of course.  Some people down the street from us when we lived in town had a one-eyed cat who insisted on living in the garage with access to the outdoors (he would come indoors only on very cold nights, and then for only a few hours), and he lived about as long as any of ours.