The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread

Caya

• 2 weeks later...

In the US, "O Christmas Tree" is the usual translation of "O Tannenbaum," and therefore the song is generally considered to be a Christmas song.  But it's my understanding that "tannenbaum" is more properly translated as simply "fir tree" or "pine tree" so I assume that the "Christmas tree" translation was chosen merely to make the words fit the melody.

Question:  Is "O Tannenbaum" considered to be specifically a Christmas song in German-speaking countries, or more of a general winter song, or basically a song in praise of evergreen trees?

Strictly Xmas, in the same way Jingle Bells is I guess. And both firs and spruces are traditional Christmas trees, it's just that firs are more sought after because they're less prickly and therefore easier to decorate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Caya said:

Strictly Xmas, in the same way Jingle Bells is I guess.

There too, huh?  It's always puzzled me that such obvious winter songs (with no mention of Christmas-y things) disappear immediately after the holidays, when winter is just getting a good start.

Happy two days after Christmas, all! I meant to post a funny Christmas animal, but didn't get around to it, so instead here's a post-Christmas animal funny. B)

Mwxw0oO.jpg

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Kitty cat!   :D

(And if you grab hold of the foot that's sticking up, you get to make a wish!  (Though in this particular case, you would presumably wish you hadn't grabbed hold of a live tiger!)

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

And if you grab hold of the foot that's sticking up, you get to make a wish!

You do? Man, I'm stalking my cat today.

Meanwhile, if you refer to my previous post, you will see why that cat wanted the box. He needed to do some math....

lW14qx5.jpg

• Haha 2

This saucy fellow (I assume it was a fellow, from his attitude :P ) was perched on my fencepost for the longest time the other day. Seemed to think I was the intruder....

L9vOnsD.jpg?1

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I assume it was a fellow, from his attitude

It just occurred to me that I have absolutely zero idea of how to tell boy squirrels from girl squirrels.  Not without getting bitten, anyhow.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 1:53 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

It just occurred to me that I have absolutely zero idea of how to tell boy squirrels from girl squirrels.  Not without getting bitten, anyhow.

Well, actually, from the, er, correct angle, :smile: it can be rather obvious which ones are the boys.... 😉 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1