The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread

Caya

The cat's coloring pattern is tortoiseshell, all tortoiseshell  cats are female, female cats are called queens, and the queen is the most powerful piece on the board -- so I'd say your position is hopeless.  Sorry.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I've heard of male calico cats but they're rare

I'm not sure about calicos, but one of our vets once encountered a male tortoiseshell.  He wasn't sufficiently male to sire kittens, though, and I've heard that's typical.

I just looked up male calicos and torties, and found that instead of the usual male XY chromosome combination, they have XXY.  Therefore they can have some male (XY) characteristics (though usually not fully expressed) and also some female (XX) ones, including the calico or tortie pattern.  Only about 1 in 3,000 calicos or torties are male!  In fact, about 1 in any 3,000 cats have the XXY chromosome combination, regardless of their fur color.

The same chromosome pattern can also occur in humans, at about the same rate.

My tortie's a girl. Just sayin'.

eJJOJHl.jpg

Burrowing owls.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

My tortie's a girl. Just sayin'.

Aha!  That would explain why you refer to your cat as "she."

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2019 at 10:25 AM, Arcadia said:

I remember when I had a new roof put on the house, and they showed me about 30 different color samples to choose from, and there's me thinking "but they're all just shades of grey!" 

Amazon has a vast selection (7 pages) of kitchen curtains, and they've got a much more varied color range than that -- white, off-white, cream, pale gray, taupe, and sometimes black.   :P

Aren't kitchen curtains supposed to be cheerful???

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Amazon has a vast selection (7 pages) of kitchen curtains, and they've got a much more varied color range than that -- white, off-white, cream, pale gray, taupe, and sometimes black.   :P

Aren't kitchen curtains supposed to be cheerful???

Remember when there used to be all different color cars on the road? Now there's like 5. Black, white, gray, red, dark blue. The occasional yellow beetle (which, frankly, I could do without. :D ) I miss my beautiful teal Mustang, and the family's metallic sea green Buick....

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Remember when there used to be all different color cars on the road?

*sigh*  There was one car in the late 70s that was available only in jellybean colors -- bright red, green, yellow, etc.  Adorable to look at and a pleasure to drive -- for the first 50,000 miles, after which they started to fall apart.  I'm talking about the Renault R5, marketed in the US as "Le Car" (cringe).  But the colors were terrific!

Now there's like 5. Black, white, gray, red, dark blue.

Haven't noticed many of the blue ones myself.  Parking lots hereabouts are mostly white and gray.  "yawn*  But the current reds are lucious!

... why? Just ... why?

Why would a cat curl up in a frying pan -- because it's just the right size, of course!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Poor doggie!  Kittens can be really pesky little critters, while they're still kittens.

We currently have two adult cats and a twelve-year-old kitten.

Had to look twice to get it!   :D

I wonder -- are calico guinea pigs (nearly) always female?  (Answer:  Apparently not -- they have a different system of genes from cats.)

• Like 1

... whereas if you speak Spanish, "Tía María" simply means "Aunt Mary."  (Kinda takes away the mystique!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...