The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread

Caya

Learning to follow a finger point is very much a learned skill in dogs, Carol. Lilly is struggling mightily with it at the moment :lol:. They can learn it, though - Basic even learned, when given something to hold in her mouth like a CD, to bring it to the person pointed out (for huge praise and treats, of course :smile:).

VBS, that's a tough question - I've seen dogs (on holidays) that seemed perfectly happy as strays, roaming with their doggie friends and only stopping by for a snack and snuggle. If it were my decision, I'd say as long as they look reasonably well-fed and healthy, leave them to their beach paradise. They might still appreciate being adopted once age or sickness sets in, though.

Since Monday is Memorial Day in the US, iirc:

N6IRbGq.jpg

• Like 5

Sometimes dogs or cats that appear to be strays really aren't -- their owners merely let them wander around most of the time.  So I don't take them in unless they're obviously starving or in poor health (and goodness knows there are enough animals who are that I'm never lonely).

• Like 5

True enough, especially with cats. Friends of ours had a cat who'd roam a lot, only stopping by for the occasional snack, nap and cuddle. Unfortunately, he was also a bit of a fighter with other toms (despite being neutered) and once came come after apparently having lost badly. They took him to the vet, who patched him up and told them he'd have to stay indoors for a week at least. This not only led to a lot of grumpy yowling from day three onward, when he was feeling better again, but then posters appeared on lampposts in their area, Have You Seen This Cat, with a pic of him underneath :blink:. They called that number and it turned out that their cat had "cheated" on them with another family, stopping by there only when he felt like it as well, and they'd thought him a stray and fed him when he'd show up, and now were worried when he hadn't stopped by in days :lol:.

Can't find a pic of him now, so have one of Cid instead, another friend's cat who never leaves home because why would he (he's adorably spoiled, plus a Siberian purebreed who gets female companionship delivered to him, so he's all set :smile:).

cid%2B%2528211%2529.jpg

• Like 6

Stripes? I didn't know guinea pigs had stripes! Squee!

Agree regarding the stray. I'm quite sure a lot of other people are caring about them too, eventthough we can't provide good home for them.

There are signs like a stray dog I know had something like cataract, but at my following visit it was gone, someone must had brought her to vet and fix it. Then there are a group who make effort to neuter them. Almost all beach dogs have collars, but doesn't mean they have owners. Another regular beach goer told me that they put collars on the strays to ensure they are safer from animal abuse. So when I notice one of the stray's collar had gone missing, I brought the replacement but someone had beaten me to it. There is one dog, always without collar, so I tries to put on her, but she doesn't want it and keeps refusing, so I guess she doesn't lost her, she just never wants it. :p

True enough, especially with cats. Friends of ours had a cat who'd roam a lot, only stopping by for the occasional snack, nap and cuddle. Unfortunately, he was also a bit of a fighter with other toms (despite being neutered) and once came come after apparently having lost badly. They took him to the vet, who patched him up and told them he'd have to stay indoors for a week at least. This not only led to a lot of grumpy yowling from day three onward, when he was feeling better again, but then posters appeared on lampposts in their area, Have You Seen This Cat, with a pic of him underneath :blink:. They called that number and it turned out that their cat had "cheated" on them with another family, stopping by there only when he felt like it as well, and they'd thought him a stray and fed him when he'd show up, and now were worried when he hadn't stopped by in days :lol:.

That is a smart cat with a lot of contingency plans. :)

2m5b053.jpg

• Like 3

Stripes? I didn't know guinea pigs had stripes! Squee!

They can have all kinds of patterns actually, depends on the breeding....but to be honest, before I made the picture, i didn't see how accurate 'striped' the colours are on him. He always just looks bright/dark brown and fuzzy to me. :D

About the stripes - my old Lily has the same colours with flat hair and also stripes, I often call her 'bumblebee'. :giggle:

I'll look if I have a good picture of her where you can see it.

• Like 2

Picture of determination. Or insanity. Maybe both.
IHv9T6G.jpg

• Like 5

Somehow that frog's stance reminds me to a sumo athlete. :lol:

• Like 3

Frog sumo wrestling! I'd watch it. :d

• Like 1

Okay, this isn't quite as exciting as I thought it would be....

• Like 3

As we were talking about striped guinea pigs, here's a pic of my little 'bumblebee' Lily...it's not so good to see but I currently did not find better pics from the side...and I think she's so cute on it. :wub:

post-2288-0-90724500-1464819925_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Cute Lily :)

I was looking for procupine images for other purpose and found this.

Poor doggy, sorry but it looks funny.

I guess some lessons are learned the hard way. :D

24zxaad.jpg

• Like 3

Oh, ouchy, poor baby!

How deep do those quills go, does anyone know? Ouch, ouch, ouch....

Not sure, depends on how they get into contact. I suppose it's not too bad, as the doggy might only want to sniff but got too close, there is no indication that it tried to bite the procupine, that would be worse. At least next time, doggy knows to be more careful with strange things.

What about some picture of tall, gorgeous long legged chick with long eyelashes?

28s8ufl.jpg

• Like 3

Good god... swimming bunny! :D

My bunny freaked out and shit all over the place when I tried to bathe him.

Good god... swimming bunny! :D

My bunny freaked out and shit all over the place when I tried to bathe him.

That would be the natural reaction of any (healthy) bunny when they would be put into water....I don't want to imagine what mine would do if I tried this. Luckily they keep themselves clean, so no need for bath. Baths for bunnies or guinea pigs would be only necessary if they shit themselves and can't clean anymore by themselves...like when they become old or ill.

Sometimes I need to wash a guinea pig's butt when they have long hair and don't manage to clean it all. Usually I give them a haircut afterwards so it won't happen for a while anymore, because they hate it. Bellana (the alpaca) also hates the haircut - I don't know, she hates when I do something with her hair, but if I don't, she would have one day dirty dreads only instead of being all cute and fluffy. :wub:

One who sometimes needs a haircut, too...Chilly Fili, taking a nap.

filinickerchen_600_zps69861970.jpg

The hammock was made in a german prison. Those guys actually know better what rodents like than the industry who makes stuff for pets...they make awesome qualitly houses also, and it's fair priced. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

That is one cozy hammock.

Oh you mean they are made in prison, but is it easy to buy/obtain it?

My dog would love one. His owner too.

• Like 1