• Haha 1

tumblr_nl94zbO1S31s2yegdo1_400.gif

[Link]

• Like 1

tumblr_ovn39nRPXY1sgyi2ao1_1280.jpg

On 2/4/2019 at 8:42 AM, Arcadia said:

Except when they're not …..

On 2/4/2019 at 4:45 PM, Artemis said:

The wiring in my place is wonky.  My bedroom light switch was mixed up somehow, so up is off and down is on.   :picard2:

You know guys... you are frustrating. XD

I once spent couple of hours longer than it should at work because this American consultant of mine needed to convert his mind from imperial to metric, and he had stayed outside US for more than a decade, just that he hardly dealt with measurement before so the system he knows still stick. And the file naming of MMDDYY screwed us more than once. :P

metric-system.png

Ehm... just a quick pull-up to show how many of earthlings still use Imperial. 

Wait, almost forget what thread I am in

Smart-Select-20190119-182433-Chrome.jpg

I have belly and I like it.

• Haha 1

6c5.png

hello-land-dog-i-am-water-dog-13-3581115

• Confused 1

the-dogs-ear-is-another-dog-hi-29730360.

• Like 1

funny-dog-balloons-ceiling-fb__700-png.j

• Haha 1

The seal pup took me a minute.... :D 

21 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

metric-system.png

Ehm... just a quick pull-up to show how many of earthlings still use Imperial.

Wait a minute -- there are two other countries?!

The UK isn't all that metric either, by the way.  Last time I was there, the speed limit signs were still in miles per hour.  Their weather reports do give the temperatures in Celsius, though.

I can definitely see the advantages of using metric weight, length, and volume measures.  But I still don't think Celsius is any more "scientific" than Fahrenheit (though it *is* easier to spell).

I think Liberia and Myanmar. I'm surprised with Myanmar being listed though. Didn't remember noticing that on my couple days visit donkey years ago (update: just check with a friend working there, and yes, it indeed uses imperial)

I think Celcius has similar advantage with metric. It's easy to get the base of it being the freezing and boiling degree at 100 degree apart. But then easy is relative depends on whatever system you are familiar with. On general view, it's just troublesome to write feet and inches imo. Actually, most metric countries are still using inches for dimension of pipes, cable, bolts and nuts etc, I have never seen those in metric.

20190111-181049.jpg

Geez, this creature must have escaped from Harry Potter's world.

11 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I think Liberia and Myanmar. I'm surprised with Myanmar being listed though. Didn't remember noticing that on my couple days visit donkey years ago (update: just check with a friend working there, and yes, it indeed uses imperial)

Thanks!  Liberia makes sense, since it was basically colonized by freed American slaves (thus the name).  Wonder why Myanmar?  Oh, hang on -- I just checked online, and here's the scoop:

First, none of the three countries you mentioned actually use the imperial (British) system (though their systems are closer to that than to metric).  The US system diverged from the British one circa 1776 (some years before the imperial system was standardized), and has a number of differences, especially in the gallon, its multiples, and its subdivisions (which caused a certain amount of confusion back when Canada was still using the British system).  Liberia naturally uses the US system.  The traditional system used in Myanmar seems to be based partly on the British system, but for example, lacks feet and inches, though it does include several "antique" measurements such as spans and cubits.

All three countries have partly adopted the metric system.  Its use in the US is voluntary but increasing, particularly in the sciences and other specialty fields.

18 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I think Celcius has similar advantage with metric. It's easy to get the base of it being the freezing and boiling degree at 100 degree apart. But then easy is relative depends on whatever system you are familiar with. On general view, it's just troublesome to write feet and inches imo. Actually, most metric countries are still using inches for dimension of pipes, cable, bolts and nuts etc, I have never seen those in metric.

I agree with you that it's easiest to use whichever system you're used to.  I guess the main advantage of Celsius is that it's easier to remember the freezing and boiling temperatures of water (at least at sea level), but people here in the US don't seem to have any trouble remembering the Fahrenheit equivalents.  And to my mind, the main advantage of Fahrenheit is that each degree covers a smaller temperature range, so the measurements are more precise without resorting to tenths of a degree.  But all in all, either one is just as easy to work with as the other, so I don't see why anyone would go to the bother of switching.

1*G5jINZxadaioU58oT5Quvw.jpeg

• Like 3

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

RegularEsteemedAlligator-small.gif

FatScholarlyCondor-size_restricted.gif

I cannot recall the pipe measurements from the past, but I think now the only inch we still use, is "dot per inch" for pictures or raster resolution. Even our Zollstock (inch rule) shows cm/mm. :D
The Germans also use the term Pfund (pound) to describe half of a kg.

1-beware-of-cat.jpg

CjU9JSMXAAITh5e.jpg

• Haha 1