Caya

The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread

29 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Thanks, I meant to add that but forgot.

Thanks for the link!  I had no idea what they meant by "flying" till I read this:

Its limbs are very long, and its fingers and toes are webbed right to the tips. Together with a fringe of skin stretching between the limbs, this flying frog can parachute to the forest floor from high in the trees where it is normally found.

So it's like a flying squirrel or a flying fish -- more of a glider than a true flyer.

• Like 1

mBAlRby.jpg?1

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20200312-150710.jpg

errr...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a guardsman cat!

tumblr_oteqoxhRZ11vmobp0o1_640.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

It's a guardsman cat!

Cat in the Hat!

• Like 1

y1Giud2.png

Can't say about cats but that would definitely work with dogs. :lol:

• Haha 2

Only problem with our cats would be, they'd start wanting their treat sooner -- and sooner.  Before long, you'd be taking your meds every few hours!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

89519239-2974572852581675-67719025393580

• Haha 2
  • Tongue 1

Not a picture, sorry -- just something I'm puzzled about:

A friend recently told me that her cat would eat nothing but dry food.  We've been feeding our cats nothing but canned food for years, and not one cat (of a dozen or so) has ever been less than enthusiastic about it.  What experience have you other cat people had?

I've never seen a cat more excited about dry food than wet food.  But I suppose there is always the odd one!

I had a boyfriend in my early 20s whose cat was raised on wet food exclusively, until the day I brought home a dry food sample I'd got at the supermarket. From this day on, he flat-out refused to touch anything else ... and it's not like we didn't try, because his human (owner seems wrong in the context of cats :lol: ) was worried about him developing kidney problems. But he loved his crunchy dry food and never ate anything else again for the rest of his days. So, yeah, happens.

No cat pics on hand right now, please enjoy a baby squirrel instead.

t2DKZJS.jpg

• Like 2

Not as pretty as the British native reds! 😋

But just as cute!

Back before they told us dry food was bad for cats, that's all we ever fed them. Not saying that's all they ate ... all of our cats were indoor/outdoor cats, and there was, er, evidence ... that they supplemented their meals with the local wildlife.

Since then, all of my cats have eaten both wet and dry, with a distinct preference for the former. Oddly enough, the cat I have now shows no interest in "people food" -- all of my others have been greedy little beggars when the meat came out of the fridge!

DzVWJrk.jpg

• Like 1

My cat eats mainly dry food but he's on medication so twice a day he gets a small serving of wet food with his medicine in it. He definitely prefers the wet but is a bit picky about what flavors he likes. I opened a can of Fancy Feast beef and he refuses to eat it. He looks at it then me as if to say "are you kidding me?" His favorite , right now, is fish and shrimp flavor. He may be a little spoiled lol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Caya said:

he loved his crunchy dry food and never ate anything else again for the rest of his days.

Did his human (and yes, that is indeed the proper term!) try giving him a bowl of canned food with a few crunchies on top?

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

... the cat I have now shows no interest in "people food" -- all of my others have been greedy little beggars when the meat came out of the fridge!

A friend of ours had a cat like that.  Jean claimed she wouldn't eat anything that didn't say "cat" on the label.  Our cats are more typical, I guess, even though Alex and I are vegetarians.  Once when he was sitting on the couch with a cheese pizza, Dora climbed up behind him and literally flung herself onto the plate.

@Carol the Dabbler : His human tried every trick in the book, but Carlos was picky enough that he'd only eat the crunchies off the wet food. If we mixed them under, he'd stand next to the bowl and complain loudly. And yes, he also refused to touch human food - it was fun to give him a little piece of raw meat or fish; he'd toy around with it for a while, clearly torn between instincts that told him that this was good food and his finicky appetite. In the end, he always left it lying, then (stop me if you heard that one) complained loudly. Oh, one exception to the "just his crunchy dry cat food" rule - he'd eat houseplants (well, just the juicy tips but that killed them all the same). And yes, he had cat grass at his disposal, but for once he liked a little variety. :P Cacti were about the only plants he left in peace.

aieFUCx.jpg

• Confused 1

The handsome kitty in the photo -- is that Carlos?

I have known several plant-eating cats (which is why our few houseplants live in the kitchen, where the cats are not allowed).  One friend who had a very determined plant eater bought a macrame plant hanger and suspended a plant next to the top part of a living-room window, about five feet (1.5 meters) above the floor and well away from any furniture.  He came home from work to find the cat sitting in the pot.

Note: This was the same cat who pried the same friend's dresser drawers open in his absence.  (She could also operate standard doorknobs.)

• Like 1

Carlos could be pretty determined when it came to plants, too *sigh* - a friend gave me a gorgeous "Fette Henne" (didn't find an English name for that, it's a kind of stonecrops) for my 20th birthday and Carlos circled that plant like a shark all day. Put it away in a cupboard I thought he could neither reach nor open for the night, only to wake up and find that all that was left of it were the stringy stalks - that cat had of course found access to it and cleared off all the tender flowers and juicy leaves overnight. :angry:

And no, that cat above isn't him - his human and I were together in pre-internet/pre-digicam times, so I'd have to dig up and scan an old photo. Googled Maine Coon and this guy, Finn, looks remarkably like him, though, only Carlos had amber eyes.

gkyDT.jpg?1

My cat knows the minute any greenery comes into the house, even if I try to hide it. I have two plants that were given to me when my sister passed away a few years ago but I have to keep them very high. So far he hasn't bothered them and since certain plants are poisonous for felines, and I don't have any more really inaccessible areas for them, I don't have any more (plants, not cats). That's probably a good thing because I really don't have a green thumb.

I've never had much trouble with cats bothering the house plants (although they consumed plenty of grass while outside. Weirdos.) But I had one cat that adored cut roses. We didn't quite realize what was going on at first, until one day I caught her up on the table, munching away at a bouquet. No other flowers, just the roses. At least she was discriminating.

So when people would give us flowers, instead of enjoying looking at them decorating the breakfast table, we had to hide them high on top of the stereo cabinet where the cat couldn't reach. *sigh*

I had a cat that loved strawberries.  He didn't want to eat them, he just loved to smell them, rub his face on them, and roll over by them.  As soon as he smelled them in the house, he'd come running, meowing like crazy, trying to get in the bag.  It was the funniest thing.

11 hours ago, Caya said:

a friend gave me a gorgeous "Fette Henne" (didn't find an English name for that, it's a kind of stonecrops

If that German phrase actually means what it looks like to me, you may be amazed to learn that there's a type of stonecrop (AKA sedum) known in the US as "fat hen" or "hen and chicks," though I don't think they look much like chickens.  (I double-checked that info on Wikipedia, and found that in the UK, "fat hen" refers to a totally different plant, a wild spinach relative known here as "lamb's quarters," for the shape of the leaves.)

• Thanks 1