Caya

The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread

8 hours ago, kimber8ada said:

since certain plants are poisonous for felines, and I don't have any more really inaccessible areas for them, I don't have any more (plants, not cats)

That's basically my situation.  I do most of my gardening outdoors, and our cats stay indoors.

7 hours ago, Artemis said:

I had a cat that loved strawberries.  He didn't want to eat them, he just loved to smell them, rub his face on them, and roll over by them.

How did he react to catnip?  I've known some cats that would eat it (including portions of the cloth mouse) and some that would just roll in it.

We had taken in a stray kitten, and one day shortly afterward I was cooking broccoli.  The kitten started mewing like crazy and pawing at my leg.  I finally gave him a saucer with small pieces of stem on it, just to show him that it wasn't anything he'd really be interested in.  I had no sooner gotten back to dealing with the broccoli than he was back mewing and pawing.  I said Oh for Pete's sake, this is the same stuff that you ... uhh ... just gobbled up!  Steamed broccoli stems were his very favorite food thereafter (he wouldn't touch the florets, but was also quite fond of asparagus, green beans, and tomatoes).  I once entertained some guests by presenting him with people-tuna on one side of his bowl and broccoli on the other side.  Guess which he ate first?

• Like 2

There's no denying it ... cats are just weird. :D 

4 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

If that German phrase actually means what it looks like to me, you may be amazed to learn that there's a type of stonecrop (AKA sedum) known in the US as "fat hen" or "hen and chicks," though I don't think they look much like chickens.  (I double-checked that info on Wikipedia, and found that in the UK, "fat hen" refers to a totally different plant, a wild spinach relative known here as "lamb's quarters," for the shape of the leaves.)

Funnily enough, it refers to yet another plant here, though it does in fact mean Fat Hen - there are a couple of pics here: https://www.gartendialog.de/fetthenne-pflege/ .

• Confused 1

I think I know that plant too -- but I have no idea what it's called here.

16 hours ago, Caya said:

known in the US as "fat hen" or "hen and chicks," though I don't think they look much like chickens. 

I think that's referring to the presence of one big one surrounded by many smaller ones. But you probably knew that.

It's all sedum to me, I'm afraid.

• Tongue 1

I've added a small rug to my lounge chair to make it cozier, and the cats seem to agree.  The other evening, Walter was sitting there, and something looked odd to me:

qOXMur8m.jpg?1

I was having a bit of trouble seeing his tail, due to the camouflage!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/26/2020 at 2:59 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

How did he react to catnip?  I've known some cats that would eat it (including portions of the cloth mouse) and some that would just roll in it.

He would do both; roll around on his back and eat little bits.

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2020 at 3:54 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Not a picture, sorry -- just something I'm puzzled about:

A friend recently told me that her cat would eat nothing but dry food.  We've been feeding our cats nothing but canned food for years, and not one cat (of a dozen or so) has ever been less than enthusiastic about it.  What experience have you other cat people had?

Had cats more than two decades ago and they ate human food. Back then we, mostly everyone, knew nothing about proper animal care like today, as long as we give them shelter, food and love, we knew nothing about vaccination or proper nutrient. I'm not sure proper vet existed in my area. We adopted this female cat and she had multiple kittens. We fed them boiled fish (they love the innards too, we mixed them with rice to get more quantity), milk once in a while (it's luxury for us too) and everytime we called them for meals, you could hear them running from a mile away, so excited for meal time. We had a shop back then and let them roam around to help catching mice and they loved to lounge on the ceiling space. Always fish for them, chickens and other meats or leftovers were for the dogs.

Recently, when my parent's home had regular stray visitor, they fed her same thing plus some dry food once in a while and she loved them all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are not the only species who suck at our job. :D

15207692-image-crop-640x643-1577307059-7

15207683-23929060-64067fcff4417dc73c581a

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Quite some time ago, I read that it's not a good idea to post a "Beware of Dog" sign, because then if your dog happens to bite someone, the person can sue you, saying the sign was proof that you knew your dog was dangerous.  They recommended saying "Guard Dog on Duty" instead, because that implies the dog is trained.  So those people above must have read that article -- but their dog apparently has not!

Note:  Liability laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, so one needs to be aware of any specific wording that might be required in their locale.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Quite some time ago, I read that it's not a good idea to post a "Beware of Dog" sign, because then if your dog happens to bite someone, the person can sue you, saying the sign was proof that you knew your dog was dangerous.  They recommended saying "Guard Dog on Duty" instead, because that implies the dog is trained.  So those people above must have read that article -- but their dog apparently has not!

Note:  Liability laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, so one needs to be aware of any specific wording that might be required in their locale.

Maybe it's American thing. Tbh, there are plethora of very sue-able things here that have good ground but the law  (or action?) on all those are just not that intensive. In one hand I'm actually grateful that it's less complicated on the other hand I have a lot of problem with a lot of people and would like to see them punished if I have the energy, money and time and system that allows me to win. Just give me that superhero power, I'd like to toss a lot of people into the space.

• Haha 2

Friends of ours have a sign stating, "Beware of Dog - you know, forget about the dog, beware of the kids". It's quite accurate. :lol:

We put this sign up, which also fits our household quite well:

DG3aPY1.png

Title says "Welcome to my home", then it's "If you're nice to me, then I'm nice to you", "Sniffing is mandatory", "If you don't want dog hair on your clothes, then don't sit anywhere" and "Fact is, my humans like me more than they like you"; below the pic it states "I live here. You don't".  Bit exaggerated, but it works for us overall (doesn't mean we don't do our best to accomodate people with allergies or dog phobia and so on, though).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Is that your dogggggg???

Can I come over?? Don't worry we don't need to socialize, just leave the dog (and cake) outside and I'd come to play and go and you wouldn't even notice anything. I wear fur loaded clothes with pride everyday, my dog is blonde and I love black shirts.

Please put the sign around the cake that "This is reserved" "Mycroft distancing area". Don't worry about translating anything, I heard he is good at languages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The dog on the sign isn't ours, we got this from amazon so I don't know the handsome Rottie boy in question, unfortunately. You can come over and cuddle with our dog anytime, of course, I'd just advise against leaving her in the vicinity of any kind of cake. Lilly is an expert at making puppy dog eyes:

yy4fLSd.jpg

• Like 3

This cartoon was on the bulletin board at our vet's office:

Uh8MJ4El.png?1

I'm sure that's exactly what goes on in a cat's head, but in the wink of an eye.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The cat I have now, and one I had before, I noticed the same thing ... when I took them out on the back porch for the first time, it was fascinating to see how they calculated the jump they would need to make to get up on the porch railing. Pacing back and forth, bobbing their heads up and down --- you could almost see the calculations they were making. :D 

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2020 at 1:36 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

This cartoon was on the bulletin board at our vet's office:

Uh8MJ4El.png?1

I'm sure that's exactly what goes on in a cat's head, but in the wink of an eye.

I can't help to think that C point in invisible, unless there is a floating substance or the cat create additional obstruction it doesn't work. Also the table's surface will not allow the ball to bounce up unless there is a mini bounce to the table first. I can't help it! I'm not fun! There is a flaw with the kitty's logic! Arggghhhh

• Tongue 1

Careful, strong sun exposure is determine by the shadow it create..s.... wait..

20200331-115734.jpg

This is a haphazardly well-put dog. Paradox? Oxymoron?

15256136-image-crop-883x720-1585047835-7

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I can't help to think that C point in invisible, unless there is a floating substance or the cat create additional obstruction it doesn't work. Also the table's surface will not allow the ball to bounce up unless there is a mini bounce to the table first. I can't help it! I'm not fun! There is a flaw with the kitty's logic! Arggghhhh

There there, calm down, everything will be okay. hPaCFmR.gif

Careful, strong sun exposure is determine by the shadow it create..s.... wait..

20200331-115734.jpg

:rofl: 

This is a haphazardly well-put dog. Paradox? Oxymoron?

15256136-image-crop-883x720-1585047835-7

Similitude. :P 

Rainbow cat! (stained glass window :lol: )

Pl1SzEL.png

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Dog people!  *sigh*  The cat isn't calculating how the ball would bounce, it's calculating how to jump up there.

44 minutes ago, Caya said:

Rainbow cat! (stained glass window :lol: )

Pl1SzEL.png

Thank you for the explanation!  At first glance I thought the cat was supposedly painted, and was hoping it was photoshopped.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Dog people!  *sigh* 

:rofl:

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Thank you for the explanation!

Same here! My first reaction was horror ...

On 4/3/2020 at 2:33 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Dog people!  *sigh*  The cat isn't calculating how the ball would bounce, it's calculating how to jump up there.

No.. because it would be a curve instead of straight and it would affect the position of the ball because of the landing force and if we assume if the table is perfectly flat and the ball is perfectly round...arghhhhhhh, stop me!

Okay, as a sympathiser of Scar, no one can argue now that he is a baddie, he just has cat instinct, to drop something, like all cats do. How can you name him a villain?

hqdefault.jpg

An introvert

10553860-image-crop-631x660-1550466824-7

And optimist

11476060-image-crop-720x551-1553809642-7

• Haha 1