SHERLOCKED: Official "Sherlock" Convention

Carol the Dabbler

Just some stuff I picked up roaming around Twitter. Giving up, though, too hard to follow.

Andrew thinks it's important to say that Eurus was not in control of Moriarty. He is the super villain

Una's favorite line is, "Would you like a cup of tea? Kettle's over there."

Mark says it was his idea to make Mycroft's umbrella a double weapon (sword & gun) (Somehow this one doesn't surprise me. :p)

One of Una's favorite people to act with is Rupert Graves because he's calm and funny.

• Like 2

Just some stuff I picked up roaming around Twitter. Giving up, though, too hard to follow.

Andrew thinks it's important to say that Eurus was not in control of Moriarty. He is the super villain

Una's favorite line is, "Would you like a cup of tea? Kettle's over there."

Mark says it was his idea to make Mycroft's umbrella a double weapon (sword & gun) (Somehow this one doesn't surprise me. :p)

One of Una's favorite people to act with is Rupert Graves because he's calm and funny.

So like Lestrade? Nice.

Who thought Eurus was in control of Moriarty? They didn't seem to be in control of each other to me at all, just collaborating.

• Like 1

I didn't attend the event even though it was within my city (sort of if you count where I live as "greater Los Angeles").  However, I did know people attending, and I had one of them pick me up some of the pieces of wallpaper that Arwel sells, so I'm expecting those soon.

• Like 1

I think you have to push it all the time. We have wild ideas - and we do them. Obviously some of them get grumpy and say “This isn’t the realistic detective show it used to be!“ Heaven knows what they were watching.
— 

Steven Moffat, Sherlocked USA

(via

theleftpill

It's worth to follow the link, btw.

• Like 2

I think you have to push it all the time. We have wild ideas - and we do them. Obviously some of them get grumpy and say “This isn’t the realistic detective show it used to be!“ Heaven knows what they were watching.—

Steven Moffat, Sherlocked USA

(via

theleftpill

Thanks for the link!

Sigh... No, it was never realistic in a factually possible sense, but they did used to be better at fooling the audience into feeling it could be real.

And Mary - a "beloved, popular" character? Heaven knows what fandom he is talking about! :-P

Anyway. At least what he allegedly said about the Three Garridebs was spot on.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link!

Sigh... No, it was never realistic in a factually possible sense, but they did used to be better at fooling the audience into feeling it could be real.

And Mary - a "beloved, popular" character? Heaven knows what fandom he is talking about! :-P

Anyway. At least what he allegedly said about the Three Garridebs was spot on.

I never thought the plots were realistic, exactly. (Chasing a cab by taking shortcuts across rooftops? A man kills himself with a boomerang?) I've always thought they owe more to comic books than to detective fiction. But the characterizations ... I still find them compellingly realistic. I still identify so strongly with so many of the characters. No doubt that's as much a tribute to the actors as to the writers, but it's very satisfying to me, however it happens.

Yes, thank for the link, JP. I particularly liked this: 

Being outraged over [Moffat's] wording is pointless. .... He has a black humor and comedic flippancy in almost everything he says. Refusing to place his comments in that light serves only to infuriate and frustrate *you.*

The bottom line is that many people - the creators included - view this show differently than (the collective) you do. Stop looking for validation from the show runners. You are not going to get it.

Amen and hallelujah! Spoken like a true adult! :smile:

• Like 5

Definitely worth it!  I'll check again tomorrow to see what she's added.

The fantasy elements seemed to me as the "funny parts", like the head in the fridge, and the eye in the teacup. The serious elements  seemed to be realistic enough (not to mention the psychological truth, even if it was unintended). It's like S4 crossed the fine line, and that made my suspended disbelief tumble down with a bang.

• Like 2

Retroactively, you mean? So that it's kind of ruined the entire show for you? Or do you just mean Season 4 is too over the top, but the rest still works?

I can see why people would react either way. For me, it's a conscious decision to cordially dislike, but accept, some of the plot points. Like Mary being an assassin ... still think it's a stupid -- and frankly, ugly -- idea, but hey, it's not my tale to tell ... I can still enjoy her character. I don't have to like the plot to like her. Tbh, if I didn't like the characters, I doubt if I would have started watching the show in the first place.

But if my love of the show were more story driven ... meh. One viewing of ASIB, and I would have been done with it. Not my kind of story. I don't even get much out of ACD, to be honest. Nope, what did it for me was when Sherlock whipped that damned scarf off his neck and told John to slug him. I was a goner from that point on. (Sorry, Martin! I came here for you, but that wretched BC guy stole me away... :blush:)

So it drives me crazy that Sherlock acts out of character at the beginning of T6T, and it bothers me not at all that being blown out of a window in TFP is wholly preposterous. But I can easily see why people tilt the other way.

• Like 1

Definitely worth it!  I'll check again tomorrow to see what she's added.

Just checked it myself ... what is this little firestorm over the budget? I gather Moftiss said something at the convention about the budget for the show that has some people in a tizzy.

If anyone's into it ... there's a couple of beautiful videos on there about the "I love you" scene. The first one especially almost makes me believe it's actually the story they were telling. :smile:

They said that some of the mistakes and changes were due to limited budget, like they couldn't afford to rent Mr Blue Sky again, so Arwel mad his own version. Which indeed sounds like an excuse to me, if you see how much they spent on things that were not essential to the show. The explosions, and yes, the Aston Martin and helicopter, those insane Sherrinford interiors, or even that tilting 221B set that looked a bit… silly IMO. Renting a picture cannot be that expensive.

Jesus, the comments/followups out there… I mean I'm disappointed too, but some of those people really need some RL problems to get a perspective…

Read on your own risk. I think I stop going there. Not good for my blood pressure.

http://friskykatt.tumblr.com/post/161178995817/from-the-makers-of-sherlock

• Like 1

Jesus, the comments/followups out there… I mean I'm disappointed too, but some of those people really need some RL problems to get a perspective…

Read on your own risk. I think I stop going there. Not good for my blood pressure.

http://friskykatt.tumblr.com/post/161178995817/from-the-makers-of-sherlock

Thanks for the link! Lots of interesting little details.

Which brings us all back to the main issue that they have been, as Disraeli would have put it it, dam%^* liars ALL the time, thereby confirming a lot of Tumblr and Sherlockshome.net criticism concerning S4: two common or garden variety scriptwriters taking on the mantle of something they couldn't handle effectively or logically when all is said and done! What still bugs me is phantom MARY the assassin for hire giving the two most iconic characters in crime stories her blessing at the very end. They could have spared us her "My Baker Street boys" speech, at least!!!

So, I nicked it from the other forum. An interesting little gem, even if it was again hijacked for the… cause.

http://fleurdebee.tumblr.com/post/161294899387/interesting-thing-a-tuxedo

Why cannot it be that Mark simply borrowed a line that sounded cool? And yes being Mark he most probably reads more about LGBT community than an average reader. How this can be seen as a clue or proof for anything? If they borrow a line from DW, does it proove that Sherlock is an alien?

• Like 1

Sorry to burst your bubble, dear J.P. , the line is a famous one from G.K. Chesterton' s The Queer Feet, where the hiding a pebble in a beach and a tree in a forest all come from. Bottom line, whoever posts here or in Tumbler: DO YOUR RESEARCH! Other than that, have lots of fun, pondering!

P.S. In a CI Morse episode entitled Happy Families, I came across this quote: Can we believe everything that is printed in the papers? Magpying for CAM?

Sorry to burst your bubble, dear J.P. , the line is a famous one from G.K. Chesterton' s The Quick Feet....

Inge, are you referring to this Chesterton quote from The Queer Feet (paragraph 92): "This large and subtle and (in the ordinary course) most profitable crime, was built on the plain fact that a gentleman's evening dress is the same as a waiter's"?  If so -- even though it does involve waiters, tuxedos, and people one might know socially -- that doesn't strike me as the same thought as Sherlock's comment that a tuxedo "lends distinction to friends and anonymity to waiters."  The latter quote contrasts a tuxedo's effect on a friend and on a waiter, whereas the former comes close to equating them.

• Like 2