The Cardboard Box

The Rani

The Granada version of "The Cardboard Box", in my opinion, is well done. There are just a couple of minor variations that are not in sync with the story.

I recommend this version, bearing in mind it was Brett's last Holmes performance before his death.

Meyers

• Like 2

I think Elementary may have done a take-off on "Cardboard Box" last night.  We missed a few episodes at Christmas time, so I stopped watching then (figuring to catch up when we get the Season 2 DVDs), but Alex is still watching, and I caught a few phrases -- something about ears -- that sounded suspiciously like this story.  They'd introduced a twist related to recent technological advances, though.  Sounded like an interesting episode, from what little I heard.

• 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned, I didn't actually watch the episode, but I did hear them mention the recent (real-world) method for regrowing ears, noses, etc., by using synthetic "cartilage" as a substrate for the patient's own flesh.  Or something like that.  It's been a while, and I was in the tub at the time.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

It was deemed as unsuitable for a Victorian audience and should have appeared earlier than the Memoirs. The Victorians were an odd lot. Holmes and Watson would never dream of being so presuming to call each other by their first names but they loved a good murder story. Sir ACD clearly thought The Cardboard Box was a bit strong.

This explains why there are two versions of Holmes' telepathy trick with Watson. Sir ACD brings it in for The Resident Patient as the world hadn't seen him do it in The Cardboard Box.

Actually, I think it was left out of the American editions at first.

I believe I've read both of those stories, but it's been quite a while.  Could you refresh my memory regarding the "telepathy trick" -- do you mean fake telepathy (e.g., something Derren Brown might do) or did Holmes apparently have a "gift" (possibly similar to the Vulcan Mind Meld)?

I believe I've read both of those stories, but it's been quite a while.  Could you refresh my memory regarding the "telepathy trick" -- do you mean fake telepathy (e.g., something Derren Brown might do) or did Holmes apparently have a "gift" (possibly similar to the Vulcan Mind Meld)?

Watson throws down his paper and looks at a picture on the wall. The picture is of a General. He touches his bullet wound on his shoulder and stiffens his face while he thinks about the war. He then shakes his head.

Holmes says something like 'You're roght, Watson. It is a preposterous way to settle an argument,'

Watson hasn't spoke and is surprised. Holmes read his features and follows his train of thought.

• Like 1

Sorry, I was wrong earlier. Sir ACD took out The Cardboard Box as it was too steamy for younger readers so they transferred the telepathy scene to The Resident Patient. Hence it appears twice when The Cardboard Box was finally published. The editors then hacked the Resident Patient to remove leaving a sloppy opening.

• Like 1