Why Do People Join Forums And Not Post In Threads?

Ruthyone

I'm not there yet ... to feel that I'm entitled to appreciate Sherlock as sheer entertainment just as much as those who feel the need to get right down to the nitty gritty of the story .

Absolutely You. Are. There!  You have shown that by not only finding this Forum, but by creating an account and participating!  As Carol posted above, "Sherlock" was created to be pure entertainment. 

Just because it pulled in a lot of hard core Sherlock fans, who have no problem debating an issue, ( please do have a look at "His Last Vow") your opinion is just as valid and important as any of ours could ever be, because at the end of the day, there are no right or wrong answers. It's all guess work and speculation, personal point of view and interpretation. We don't know any more then the man in the moon about how this is all going to turn out.

You love Sherlock just for the pure joy of it, and that....in and of itself...is the very best way to view it. Get to critical and the simple joy and love can get lost.

• Like 3

You love Sherlock just for the pure joy of it, and that....in and of itself....the best way to view it. Get to critical and the simple joy and love can get lost.

Ain't that the truth! (I sometimes avoid the "Last Vow" thread for that very reason.)

• Like 1

Thanks, Meyers, Carol and Bakerstreet Irregular.  It was specifically the His Last Vow thread that gave me pause for thought.  I admit to not having looked at much of it, then posting something and going back later to see what was going on and having a Whoa ! :o   moment ... sent me scampering for a bit, I can tell you ... concerned for no particularly good reason than I was WAY out of my depth.  I'm a lot like John Hamish Watson though.  I have to take it in, think about it, process it and then react to it ... it can be a bit plodding at times :rolleyes:  ...  I think that's why I love Sherlock !  :wub:  I can get completely caught up in almost everything they do and hardly ever need to ask why they're doing it ... makes me happy !  :D  :D  :D 

Debbie

• Like 1

I think that's why I love Sherlock !  :wub:  I can get completely caught up in almost everything they do and hardly ever need to ask why they're doing it ... makes me happy !

And keep on doing just that. It's a wonderful show, no matter what kind of spin is put on it. Just grab the popcorn and curl up with your favorite blankie, snuggle buddy and enjoy the ride!

It's also one of those shows where it's so good that if you miss something, it's not the end of the world, you'll probably still get the rest of it. I've had times where the third time I watch an episode I have a head-smacking moment but hadn't realized before that I'd actually missed something.

• Like 1

The reason I never say anything (and I find it funny that this is my first post) is because I'm generally to scared to actually say anything.  But I have a account in the hopes that one day I would have the courage to say something.  So that's probably why no one says anything. ^_^''

• Like 1

Don't let the lively debate intimidate you, SkyEmeraldXx. You are an important part of this Fandom and this Forum. Your point of view and ideas are just as important as anyone else's. We need to hear your voice. It may be the sane one. So, please. Do post.

By the way, welcome to the Forum, SkyEmeraldXx! So glad you decided to introduce yourself!

Hello SkyEmeraldXx and welcome to the forum! :wave:

Glad you've finally decided to step forth and write your first post. And don't worry, we're all a happy friendly family here (with some slight disagreements over, say, Mary :lol:) and even if we disagree, we never bite. And all of us regulars have made fools of ourselves in posts at one time or other.

Hey, maybe we should start a "false predictions" thread where we can recall our blunders :D. Like, I was convinced that Sherlock would still have his reputation shot at the start of series 3 and getting at least some of the public to trust him would be one of the major story arcs :wacko:.

Hello SkyEmeraldXx and welcome to the forum! :wave:

Glad you've finally decided to step forth and write your first post. And don't worry, we're all a happy friendly family here (with some slight disagreements over, say, Mary :lol:) and even if we disagree, we never bite. And all of us regulars have made fools of ourselves in posts at one time or other.

Hey, maybe we should start a "false predictions" thread where we can recall our blunders :D. Like, I was convinced that Sherlock would still have his reputation shot at the start of series 3 and getting at least some of the public to trust him would be one of the major story arcs :wacko:.

... and that would have made a lot of sense! Honestly, some of our "blunders" aren't so bad.

I think my biggest one was assuming The Fall was staged at the last minute and that Mycroft really sold Moriarty information on his little brother. Wishful thinking... And I was convinced that Sherlock, after all the disparaging things he said about love in A Scandal in Belgravia, would think John getting married a stupid idea and try to persuade him not to get involved in something so "very destructive", but it turned out Sherlock has actually matured enough to understand not all women are like Irene (and not all men like himself).

The reason I never say anything (and I find it funny that this is my first post) is because I'm generally to scared to actually say anything.  But I have a account in the hopes that one day I would have the courage to say something.  So that's probably why no one says anything. ^_^''

It is kind of scary when you consider that anything we babble about here can be read by anybody anywhere. I just like to think that only very, very few people would care to bother. There is so much more exciting stuff on the internet...

I hope it wasn't some of the "spirited discussions" here that intimidated you. I think we all try to stay friendly, but sometimes... What's your lookout on Mary, then? Do you like her? (You can really say what you like, you'll probably find supporters for anything from enthusiastic approval to violent dislike).

And just to be perfectly clear, T.o.b.y means "violent dislike" of Mary -- not of you!

Welcome to Sherlock Forum, SkyEmeraldXx!  :welcome:

Well, it's a little bit daunting to join a new forum sometimes, and you're never sure if what you post will rub someone the wrong way, or sound just silly. I end up editing a lot of my own posts! But everyone here has been welcoming and friendly.  And I totally agree with By the Sea's comments. I've only seen the TV series  twice, and read 3 ACD stories so far; so I'll leave all the opinions there to the experts.

I was worried that my posts would sound silly at first, too, but this forum is so friendly that even when someone has a different opinion than me they always put it in a friendly way. So you really don't have to worry that your posts would sound wrong or you offend someone. Everyone has the right to say their own opinion. After all Sherlock is just a fiction, we don't argue over real people's lives. 

By the way, who is an expert on Sherlock? Maybe the writers of the tv show can call themselves experts but on this forum we all are just fans like you.

• Like 1

Gosh, if I left opinions to experts, I could shut up for life, I think... And I just love a friendly argument over a bit of fiction, so welcome to anybody who wants to disagree on anything we both know very little of! :P

I end up editing a lot of my own posts!

There's something about hitting the Post button that suddenly makes my posts look inane, pointless, and poorly worded.  So yes, thank goodness for the Edit button!

• Like 1

Gosh, if I left opinions to experts, I could shut up for life, I think... And I just love a friendly argument over a bit of fiction, so welcome to anybody who wants to disagree on anything we both know very little of! :P

This is the great thing about life on the forum.  We can share opinions, speculations and even fantasies without worrying about judgement ... or at least the repercussions of judgement.  Everybody knows someone who knows everything !  Every  word they utter is like the gospel according to XXXXX.  Mostly you can just shake your head and walk away.  Give them a position of authority and you're pretty much stuck with at least looking like you agree with them all the time.  Here, you can disagree, spar and even argue ... as long as you do it respectfully ... with anybody about anything.  It's liberating ! :D 

Debbie

If I listened to so called experts, I would watch some really horrible movies, miss some really good ones and never enjoy a book . Keep an open mind, and no matter how tightly you want to cling to a pet theory, you can always change your mind if you feel persuaded.

• Like 2

It is kind of scary when you consider that anything we babble about here can be read by anybody anywhere. I just like to think that only very, very few people would care to bother. There is so much more exciting stuff on the internet...

I hope it wasn't some of the "spirited discussions" here that intimidated you. I think we all try to stay friendly, but sometimes... What's your lookout on Mary, then? Do you like her? (You can really say what you like, you'll probably find supporters for anything from enthusiastic approval to violent dislike).

Thanks everyone for welcoming me. Honestly I don't really care for Mary. I used to be upset with her (because I'm a rabid Johnlocker) but when it got to the part where you learn that she's not who she says she is I got really interested and wanted to know more. Over all I'm pretty neutral with her.

• 2 weeks later...

It's alway nice to meet new members, SkyEmerald, so welcome. :wave2: 

Going back to B.I.'s point - I have been to films that were supposed to be really good and have been disappointed and been to others which haven't been so well received and really enjoyed them. Go with your instinct..............

• Like 1

I like to get the feel of a forum first then once I feel more confident I post more & More.  I also have 2 kids and run a forum of my own so its finding time too :D

• Like 1

Welcome to the Sherlock Forum, TiggyDoolittle! Wow, does sound like you have a busy life. Glad you took the time to seek this out though.  What kind of forum do you run?