10 Day Sherlock Tour

Looking for 4-6 Sherlock fans to meet me in London for a 10 day Sherlock Tour of a lifetime.

You don't have to be British. In fact, a mixed group from around the world would be best. More details available if you're interested.

Sounds interesting. As long as this is not some kind of sales pitch. Can't advertise or sell stuff here on the Forum, but if it's just planning to meet other Sherlockians and Holmesians and hang out together, yup, that's fine.

Hello, jknitt -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

Why don't you spend some time here so we can all get to know you?  Meetups usually occur after people have become well "acquainted" on the forum.

For starters, I'm sure we'd all be interested in hearing more about your planned tour.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm not entirely sure if it's advertising or not. It's a tour and people will need to pay for it, but only to cover costs and I won't profit from it. I apologize if it's outside of forum rules.

Here's a rough agenda for Sherlock Tour:

Day 1: Arrive in London - Adjust from Transatlantic flight as needed

Visit former site of Queen Charlotte's Hospital: Birthplace of Benedict Cumberbatch

Day 2: Sherlock Series 1 Locations - Including "221B Baker Street"

Sherlock Holmes Museum

Taxi Chase footrace in Soho

Day 3: Sherlock Series 2 Locations - Including St. Bart's, scene of The Reichenbach fall

Violin Lessons

Day 4: Sherlock Series 3 Locations - Including 23-24 Leinster Gardens, the false facade hiding open tube tracks below

Scotland Yard Black Museum (if possible)

Day 5: Travel by train to Cardiff - Afternoon tour of BBC studios

Day 6: Tour surrounding area shooting locations by car - including Dewer's hollow, creepy location from The Hounds of Baskerville (possibly at night?)

Day 7: Return to London - Murder Mystery Dinner

Day 8: Free day - Police Ride-along (if possible)

Day 9: Free day - Motorcycle ride through London (as seen in The Empty Hearse)

Day 10: Free day

Day 11: Departure

There will be several opportunities for photos/cosplay.

There will be chances to win Sherlock swag via games & contests. (Chess/Operation like Sherlock vs. Mycroft, Cluedo, etc.)

When possible, dinners may include visits from Sherlock experts such as the staff from Sherlockology.com.

Activities such as Scotland Yard's Black Museum and police ride-alongs may be difficult to arrange, no guarantees.

Again, it might be helpful to stick around the forum and socialize.  For one thing, you could get additional ideas for the tour.

However, if you are just an individual fan, some of your specific plans could be difficult.  For example, although it may well be possible to get a generic studio tour from the BBC (and I realize that's all you said), I doubt very much that you could gain access to the set of Sherlock (it's not even assembled most of the time) or even to that sound stage.  Also, a number of the filming locations (such as "Dewar's Hollow") may be hard to get to and/or not open to the public.  Other locations would presumably be accessible only on the outside -- for example, the Leinster Gardens interior was actually shot in Cardiff.

A number of the locations you mention are perfectly accessible, of course, two of my favorites being North Gower Street (and Speedy's!) and the area around Bart's.  And it certainly wouldn't hurt to check into others that you're interested in (as you probably know, the Sherlockology website lists the actual locations of many).

Have you been in touch with any of the organizations that you mention (e.g., Sherlockology), to check feasibility of items that rely on them?

Hi jknitt!

A Sherlock tour with other fans sounds great, something I would definitely love to do. Right now, though, I'm waiting to see when and where the 'Sherlocked' convention will take place later this year. If I'm available for that, it will be my priority, but I won't rule out the possibility of doing a Sherlock tour.

Thanks for posting!

As I mentioned, it's a basic outline of locations. I've consulted the great locations list over at Sherlockology and contacted them about the tour but haven't heard back. I know set tours are not likely, but if it was timed right and I found an "in" then anything is possible...but nothing is promised.

At the moment, I'm gauging interest in the tour. It's a test case for "geek travel" and I'll be interested to see how it works out. Once I can muster at least 4 solid commitments, I can start really planning the tour. I also don't want to give away specific locations because I think it would be fun to show up somewhere and then ask the group where we are. Part of the tour will be asking questions like that and letting the group show off to have the full high functioning sociopath experience.

In any event, keep the feedback coming! I've only been through the series once, so I'm by no means the best fan. My strength is as a tour guide, especially for international travel. So I'll take all the Sherlock help I can get.

Of course a big factor in all this will be cost. And in this economy, people are struggling just to pay the basic bills, let alone being able to save money for something very special like this. But keep at it, don't give up, people will fall into line as you give more detail.

• Like 1

Agreed. Unfortunately it will be somewhat expensive even without factoring in airfare. But things like accommodation and ground transport and such are always a big part of a vacation budget. I don't want to plan anything until I can get firm commitments for the same economic reasons. Typically the least expensive rates for things are non-refundable and booking for 4-6 and then having nobody show wouldn't do my own pocketbook any good.

Thanks again for the support.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Here's a rough agenda for Sherlock Tour:
Day 1: Arrive in London - Adjust from Transatlantic flight as needed
Visit former site of Queen Charlotte's Hospital: Birthplace of Benedict Cumberbatch
Day 2: Sherlock Series 1 Locations - Including "221B Baker Street"
Sherlock Holmes Museum
Taxi Chase footrace in Soho
Day 3: Sherlock Series 2 Locations - Including St. Bart's, scene of The Reichenbach fall
Violin Lessons
Day 4: Sherlock Series 3 Locations - Including 23-24 Leinster Gardens, the false facade hiding open tube tracks below
Scotland Yard Black Museum (if possible)
Day 5: Travel by train to Cardiff - Afternoon tour of BBC studios
Day 6: Tour surrounding area shooting locations by car - including Dewer's hollow, creepy location from The Hounds of Baskerville (possibly at night?)
Day 7: Return to London - Murder Mystery Dinner
Day 8: Free day - Police Ride-along (if possible)
Day 9: Free day - Motorcycle ride through London (as seen in The Empty Hearse)
Day 10: Free day
Day 11: Departure

There will be several opportunities for photos/cosplay.
There will be chances to win Sherlock swag via games & contests. (Chess/Operation like Sherlock vs. Mycroft, Cluedo, etc.)
When possible, dinners may include visits from Sherlock experts such as the staff from Sherlockology.com.
Activities such as Scotland Yard's Black Museum and police ride-alongs may be difficult to arrange, no guarantees.

Excellent,  I'm off to the UK next year so I try to fit some of this into a "one" day tour as I am only in London for 5 days and up to Manchester way to visit my husbands relatives.  

Alex and I are planning to be over there next year as well -- trying to time it so we can catch some location filming for Series 4, so presumably spring-ish.  Any idea yet when you'll be in London?

• Like 1

Alex and I are planning to be over there next year as well -- trying to time it so we can catch some location filming for Series 4, so presumably spring-ish.  Any idea yet when you'll be in London?

We are in London in July, we  have been there about 3 times before, so we are looking at 'different' tourist sites this time around.

We are in London in July....

We'll probably miss you, then.  :(

I leave today, but am hoping to be back in April.

... but we may see you!  :smile: