Sign in to follow this  
Ruthyone

Conan Doyle's list of 12 best Holmes stories

Perhaps I qualify for dumbest question of 2017?

• Like 1

The BBCode is pretty straightforward, actually, if you can just remember that each code is enclosed in square brackets, and that each "turn-off" code has a forward slash just inside the opening bracket. The basic code for superscript is, logically enough, "sup" and the code for subscript is "sub."

Look at my example six posts back to see how it looks when it's all put together.

Yeah, the brackets and the forward slash is the easy part, but I would have a hard time remembering the rest, especially if I didn't use it that often.

You just put your sup's around the text that you want made into superscripts, and you put your sub's around the text that you want made into subscripts.  Pretty straightforward.

Lol, it may be straightforward, but nevertheless I'm not going to remember that if I want to type out a fraction 6 months from now. If it was just "sup" or just "sub", and I only had to put it around the whole thing like I do with italics or something, then I might more easily remember. But remembering both "sup" and "sub" and that one goes around one number and the other goes around another number, I just know that I'm going to forget it and I'll probably have to look it up somewhere if I want to use it. I don't use superscripts or subscripts for much of anything, so I'd be surprised if I even remembered that "sup" and "sub" were the text to use.

I can't really explain, you'll just have to take my word for it, lol. It took me forever to memorize how to do a URL with alternate text, and if I don't do it for awhile I have to look it up again.

I haven't done a DIY URL in ages, so not at all sure I'd remember how to do that!

But sup's and sub's are just like italics. You've got your start code, you've got your text, and you've got your end code.

I think you may be confusing yourself by thinking of a fraction as all one thing. It's not, it's three things (a superscript, a slash, and a subscript) that we just happen to be using one right after the other.

Could you do this? italics regular text boldface

Building a fraction is no different.

I think you may be confusing yourself by thinking of a fraction as all one thing. It's not, it's three things (a superscript, a slash, and a subscript) that we just happen to be using one right after the other.

Yeah, that's in part why it would be hard for me to remember. It's not that it's illogical or abstruse, but in my head it is more so than for italics and for bold. It's more steps, but more importantly, it's not anything I readily associate with "fraction" in my mind. So in the first place I'd have to remember that I'm supposed to be using superscript and subscript, which I probably won't, because those two words barely register in my vocabulary (at least in a coding context). Then I'd have to remember that they're shortened to "sup" and "sub", as opposed to something else. Then I'd have to remember to put one around the first number and the other around the second number. And remember to leave the slash out of it, in the middle.

I'm not saying that it's confusing or I don't understand it. I understand it perfectly, looking at it. I'm just saying that I probably won't remember it later.

Although with all this talk about it, maybe now I will. :P

Could you do this? italics regular text boldface

Building a fraction is no different.

They are a bit different in my mind though. Put another way, the italics and boldface example to me would be like being given two different math problems with two different solutions, each with one step (e.g. one addition problem and one subtraction problem). Whereas the fraction example is more like being given one math problem with one solution, but two or three steps to get there (e.g. first I have to add, then I have to subtract to get the solution). I can see your perspective too, but that's not how my own brain reflexively views it, especially not on recall.

• Like 1

Perhaps I qualify for dumbest question of 2017?

Oh well, I tried! :P

• Like 1

Really -- 5'7"? Of course I can't prove otherwise, but I am curious to know where that figure came from.

I've typically seen McKellen described (e.g., in IMDb) as 5'11", which seems plausible to me, after seeing him in scenes with various other actors. This site* pegs him at half an inch taller than that a while back, but half an inch shorter recently (due to age). After a fairly cursory search, I'm not seeing 5'7" (or any less than 5'10") anywhere.

I can't recall exactly at the moment the source for that stat. But I'm predisposed to think that when there is a variance in reported stats, the shorter one is probably the more truthful. (see "Gentleman's Agreement Re. Padding out of CV stats for actors'.) Acting is a heightist industry after all, especially if one has aspirations to leading man status. Many of the most well-regarded stage thespians in Britain tend to be quite short by Hollywood standards. Of course on stage, height is less important than it is onscreen, just as it's possible for a stage actor or actress to get away with playing some decades younger than their actual age for quite a while. The camera is just a lot more brutal and that kind of trickery is hard to pull off, what with close ups and tightly framed dialogue shots and all.

My own father was a shade off of 6'0 at 5'11 1/2 . . . I really doubt that Sir Ian is tall enough to have looked him square in the eye. For years I'd read that Robert Redford was claiming 5'10" or even an inch taller, though anecdotal evidence by persons who have met him surprise some surprise that he's 5'9" or possibly less. The late Paul Newman was 5'8" and it seemed that the Sundance Kid had a couple of inches on him, so Redford may well have been 5'10" in his prime. I really have serious doubts though that Sir Ian is taller than Paul Newman was. Just my gut speaking. I think a trick often used to make a leading actor appear as tall as he claims to be is to surround him with shorter actors in supporting roles. If Sir Ian is acting opposite Judi Dench, he is going to appear to be quite tall next to her. But she's all of 5'11". Watching her side-by-side with rangy Bill Nighy in 'Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' is a droll experience.

I think your keyboard bounced while you were typing Dame Judi's height! ;)

While I agree that age is less important for stage actors than for screen actors, I think a good case could be made for the opposite being true for height. In screen close-ups, nobody can see the orange crate that the leading man is standing on!

Whenever you find the source of that 5'7" quote, I'd love to see it.

Yep, I see now that my finger stuttered.  The vision of a 5'11" Dame Judi is droll, all right.  That'd put her on a level with her Bond, Daniel Craig.  I meant 5'1".  ish. 

I retract the 5'7" stat for Sir Ian; I am surprised to find that he's at least 3 inches taller than I had assumed.  He has a very slight build and that lends the impression of being smaller than he is.  Also in company with co-stars such as Brendan Fraser & Michael Fassbender he looks slighter still.  I really am quite gobsmacked that he's taller than Sir Patrick Stewart, whose bluff vigor I would have put at 6' easily. 

• Like 1

Tall men don't need to have bluff vigor, they just loom.

• Like 1