Stories Behind Your User Names & Avatar Pictures.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Firstly, thanks to the creators of this whole forum -- it's fabulous.

Introduction: I'm a fan of the original Conan Doyle mysteries, and resisted watching the new BBC Sherlock for a long time because I couldn't imagine anyone surpassing Jeremy Brett. Now I regret having been such an idiot. They're both brilliant in different ways. Martin Freeman has done far more to breathe life into John Watson than the two actors (whose names I can't even remember) who played opposite Jeremy Brett.

I chose my forum name from the Holmes mystery I read most often, The Second Stain.

My avatar is one of the many, many images from Vesalius's De Fabrica that you can find on the internet, chosen because Vesalius urged doctors to observe for themselves rather than trusting what medical books said. He had the same level of respect for medical authorities that Sherlock has for Sally Donovan.

• Like 2

They're both brilliant in different ways. Martin Freeman has done far more to breathe life into John Watson than the two actors (whose names I can't even remember) who played opposite Jeremy Brett

I must say, I appreciate both of them (David Burke and Edward Hardwicke) far more now, after seeing Martin Freeman's nuances, than I did when the Brett series was originally on PBS. Freeman has wakened me to the possibilities of the role (and I suppose the writers had something to do with it as well).

I chose my forum name from the Holmes mystery I read most often, The Second Stain.

Thank you! I knew I'd heard that name somewhere, but could not place it.  Godolphin Street, right?

Thank you! I knew I'd heard that name somewhere, but could not place it.  Godolphin Street, right?

Yes! The site of Eduardo Lucas's murder.

Cheers, dinner time...

• Like 1

Hello Godolphin and welcome to the forum! :wave:

I'm embarrassed to admit that but I misread your name at first and thought of Gondolin, which is in quite another neighbourhood :lol:.

• Like 1

Hello Godolphin and welcome to the forum! :wave:

I'm embarrassed to admit that but I misread your name at first and thought of Gondolin, which is in quite another neighbourhood :lol:.

Good morning, Caya, and thank you for the laugh!

It's okay, I'll admit that every time I type the name out, I feel like I'm disparaging something ("Don't drink that beer, it's godolphin. Try this other one, it's much better.")

• Like 1

:wave2: Hello Godolphin :welcome: to the forum. Quite interesting way to get your username. Enjoying a few of your insights I've seen so far.
  • Like 1

I'm a fan of a musician named Jeremy Camp. His fans are called CAMPers. I'm part of the ultra die hard Team CAMPer subset. Then Sherlocked from the ASIB scene because that describes me as well.

... every time I type the name out, I feel like I'm disparaging something ("Don't drink that beer, it's godolphin. Try this other one, it's much better.")

:lol4:   Either that, or you're cheering for any one member of the Miami football team:  "Go, Dolphin!"

By the way, there is not (and apparently never has been) a Godolphin Street in that part of London (near Parliament).  This Holmes site specifically refers to the street as "fictional," and other sites merely repeat the description given in "The Second Stain."  (I did, however, find a Godolphin Place in Acton, a western suburb, and a Godolphin Road in the same vicinity.)

i,m not a dolphins fan i,m a bears fan but that doesn't mean i won't cheer for the dolphins everynow and then

• 1 month later...

Marcin Kapik - this is name of my first boyfriend, so translate into english:
Marcin ---> Martin, Kapik ---> Capik and we have martinca. And the fun thing is that my real name is Martynka :) Number 1999 is year of my birthdays.

• 5 months later...

Hi! I'm Goodnoght-Vienna. I chose this name because it is the first of the two (that I can find) instances that Sherlock referenced Vienna in the BBC series. I was the first sublte connection I ever made between the first two series and sparked a new interest in the series. It seems to have coe to nothing, though, because I haven't been able to find one in the third.  My picture is my favourite jumper and my wellies, because my favourite weather (rainy and cool) I call Jumpers and Wellies weather. (JumpersWellies is my twitter if you are interested in following ;) ! 

Hi! I'm Goodnoght-Vienna. I chose this name because it is the first of the two (that I can find) instances that Sherlock referenced Vienna in the BBC series.

What was the reference in Series 2?

What was the reference in Series 1, for that matter? :) I remember hearing Sherlock say it but I can't put it in context.

I had to look it up (even though I could "hear" Sherlock saying it) -- it's in "The Great Game," when he's talking about Connie Prince supposedly dying from tetanus:

SHERLOCK: According to one of her staff, Raoul de Santos, she cut her hand on a rusty nail in the garden. Nasty wound.  Tetanus bacteria enters the bloodstream – good night Vienna.
JOHN: I suppose.
SHERLOCK: Something’s wrong with this picture.

• Like 1

Aww, thanks, I didn't mean for you to do my research for me. But since you have .... :hugz:

• Like 1

Hi!

my name is Marieke, therefor my name here is also Marieke. Elementary really.

And I chose this picture as my avatar because it depicts what I am, for some time now but it may end at any time, convinced of; that Janine is Moriarty. And that she pulled Sherl's leg... hence the look of confusion on his face.  

And I just love the look of the wedding in tSo3, so colorful and bright. I love it! So the picture had to be from that episode. 

• Like 2

my name is Marieke, therefor my name here is also Marieke. Elementary really.

Yup, it is.  But it does leave me with one question:  How do you pronounce your name?  I've found some websites that give name pronunciations, but -- well, for example, this one claims it's a French man's name and pronounces it "MAH-ree-ake" (rhymes with "rake"), and this video is by an American woman who pronounces her name as "MAH-ri-kah."  I'm guessing you're closer to the second one, but would like to know for sure, so I know how to think about you.

• Like 1

Hello I am Sherlocklittleminx

I couldn't think of another name as Sherlock can be a naughty sometimes and so am I

The avatar I used was one of the default

oh my! I've never looked it up, because I know how to pronounce my name  ;)  But the links really both don't sound like my name... ok well, it's not as different as 'Elisabeth' would sound, but the Dutch/Flemish folk do pronounce it very differently.

One person on youtube described it nicely:

It is a Dutch/Flemish name and the stress should be on the second syllable. Ma'REEkuh. It is a variant of the name Maria. The suffix "ke" makes it a diminutive. So it means: Little Maria.

btw; -ke also makes things sweet and nice. So sweet, little Mary. Something like that

so;

Ma- (and this 'a' is an unknown 'a' in English; think of getting startled and shouting. That 'a', just not as loud)

REE- indeed, the 'r' rolls or taps and the 'ee' sound is like the 'y' in Mary. Emphasis on this bit.

kuh the 'e' in 'ke' is a schwa sound. So hang your mouth slightly open in an effortless manner en push sound through. That's it!

I certainly recognise the need to know what a name sounds like. It makes reading on a forum a lot more agreeable for me.

So I hope this helps!  :D

p.s. here is a Dutch song that sings it as well. Everytime after 'oooh' in the refrein they sing 'Marieke': 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pWlrvN9iCg 

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
Pale text is nearly invisible against the white background of the SFW and IP.Board themes
  • Like 2

p.p.s. fun fact: Spaniards have problems pronouncing my name, not because of the sounds, but because marieka means gay in Spanish  :blink:  :lol: