Stories Behind Your User Names & Avatar Pictures.

We can offer the traditional no-prize to the first person who correctly identifies the episode and the scene!

• Haha 2

Shall I direct you to my guess in the Shoot the Wall thread, or repeat it here? :P 

What the heck, I'll take the time to repeat it ... I think it's the end of Empty Hearse, where Sherlock is laughing at John while putting his scarf back on.

Do I win? :bouncy:

• Haha 1

:confused2: What, you don't trust me?!!!!

In any case, I'm wrong ... he's facing the wrong way at the end of Empty Hearse, for one thing. I think now that Artie's on the right track -- it's a "behind the scenes" shot.

I think it's not one of the episodes I saw. So, it's a "behind the scene" or an episode of the last two series... 

Yesterday, I saw a fan video and there was this pic, it could mean that is a picture from an episode 🤔

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I'm wrong ... he's facing the wrong way at the end of Empty Hearse,

It's easy to flip photos with just about any image-manipulation software.  Even I can do it!

4 hours ago, Jen said:

I think it's not one of the episodes I saw. So, it's a "behind the scene" or an episode of the last two series...

If I'm not mentally on the wrong thread, then it did look like Series 3 (judging by what may be John's hair behind him).

4 hours ago, Jen said:

Yesterday, I saw a fan video and there was this pic, it could mean that is a picture from an episode 🤔

Was this pic just a pic in that video, or was there a "motion picture" segment like that?

There was a motion picture, but it was very fast, Sherlock was smiling, I can't remember anything else. I'll try to find this video!!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jen said:

I'll try to find this video!!

Yes, that might help!  Maybe it contains other clues.

• Like 1

Or Mycroft. I bet he has a whole file of videos of Sherlock, each one labelled with the exact date, time and place they were taken.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

The Story Behind My Username:
   Simply put, many years ago and for many years, I was a member of The Sound Of The Baskervilles, a Scion Society in the Pacific Northwest.  In that club my "Canonical Name" was Inspector Baynes. from The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge. I've just always 'retained' that. 

The Story Behind My Avatar:
   I THINK the 'avatar' is the little circular thingy with the pic in it showing who is 'speaking.'  How did I come up with this one?  It was available 'free', I found it, and thought 'well...it might look like an inspector, who knows.' 

There you have it.

3 hours ago, Inspector Baynes said:

I was a member of The Sound Of The Baskervilles, a Scion Society in the Pacific Northwest.  In that club my "Canonical Name" was Inspector Baynes. from The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge. I've just always 'retained' that. 

Thanks!  I was becoming very nearly curious enough to see if there was an Inspector Baynes in canon -- and you've saved me the "bother."

I was just about to ask about the name "Sound of the Baskervilles" -- but then I thought of Puget Sound.  Is that the origin?  ADDED:  I just read your post on the "Hello Everybody" thread, and see that you are specifically from Seattle.  So yup, Puget Sound it clearly is!

It was available 'free', I found it, and thought 'well...it might look like an inspector, who knows.' 

Well, inspectors don't generally wear uniforms, do they?  So yeah -- looks like an inspector to me!

20 minutes ago, Inspector Baynes said:

[Baynes] was the only 'police' or 'inspector' type Sherlock outright complimented... though he did give Lestrade and Gregson a few backhanded attaboy's.

Didn't he also refer to Lestrade as something like "the best of a bad lot" though?

You changed your avatar!

27 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Didn't he also refer to Lestrade as something like "the best of a bad lot" though?

yep that was one of his 'backhanded compliments.'

27 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

You changed your avatar!

yep I thought this one looked even more 'inspectory' ('inspectorish'    'inspector-like'). 

1 hour ago, Inspector Baynes said:

I thought this one looked even more 'inspectory' ('inspectorish'    'inspector-like').

More explicitly Victorian, that's for sure!  But I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen Lestrade in a top-hat.

14 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

But I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen Lestrade in a top-hat.

Indeed 'tis true.  But we have this description of Inspector Baynes to contend with:

"The country detective was a stout, puffy, red man, whose face was only redeemed from grossness by two extraordinarily bright eyes, almost hidden behind the heavy creases of cheek and brow." 

And again:  "His fat, red face wreathed itself in smiles and his small eyes glittered..."

(Doyle, Arthur Conan. The Complete Sherlock Holmes: with an introduction from Robert Ryan (p. 1581). Simon & Schuster UK. Kindle Edition.)

Though his clothing is never spoken to, I felt the new avatar's wee fellow looked a little more 'stout and puffy' with a 'fat' face (though redness is indiscernible) than the scrawny avatar formerly used.

We shall perhaps just assume he's dressed for an evening affair at concert or something.

He is the only detective in canon Holmes never speaks a 'negative word' about and compliments multiple times. At one point Sherlock even seeks to prevent him from making a mistake in his investigation, though Baynes' clever moves ultimately result in the denouement of the case.

"Holmes laid his hand upon the inspector’s shoulder. 'You will rise high in your profession. You have instinct and intuition,' said he."  

• Thanks 1

The country detective....

That explains why Holmes can refer to Lestrade as "the best of a bad lot" while heaping praise upon Baynes -- who was not a member of the same "lot."

And I agree, your new avatar looks a good bit stockier than the other fellow.