Carol the Dabbler

Stories Behind Your User Names & Avatar Pictures.

Welcome aboard, Rebecca!  :welcome:

As Caya says, don't worry about your English.  You are very easy to understand, which is the important thing.  And besides, your English is a heck of a lot better than my Portuguese!  (Actually, I don't know any Portuguese at all, but I can generally figure out a little of it, because I do know some Spanish.)

Can you tell us a little about your character?  Is she a female version of John Watson, or is she one of his relatives, perhaps his wife -- or am I overlooking a possibility?

My avatar is Tom Baker Sherlock Holmes, hence my user name Doctor Holmes

• Like 1

My avatar speaks for itself, I  guess, as well as my username.

8 hours ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

My avatar speaks for itself, I  guess, as well as my username.

Mostly, sure.  Is there any significance to the "123" part?

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Mostly, sure.  Is there any significance to the "123" part?

Well, my original username did not have the 123 part, but when I signed up, the website said that my username was already in use, so I had to add the 123 part to distinguish myself.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

when I signed up, the website said that my username was already in use, so I had to add the 123 part to distinguish myself.

I just checked, and there are at least 20 other members with "sherlocked" in their names (the software does not distinguish between upper and lower case) -- so no surprise, I guess!

My handle is derivative of Lovecraft's eldritch creation Hastur - also known as the king in yellow. Daffodil for yellow and khan being a term for a ruler. Also, Khan was one of my favorite Star Trek villains - whether played by Ricardo Montalbán in TOS and Wrath of Khan or Benedict Cumberbatch in Into Darkness

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
Original yellow text is difficult to read on the white background of the Light Theme.

Thanks for your explanation, DK (may I call you that?).

I'm also curious about your avatar picture.  It's yellow, of course, and that could be a daffodil blossom in the center.  Anything else you'd be willing to divulge?

DK is fine. 

My profile picture is actually the Yellow Sign. It's a symbol from the Robert W. Chambers book The King in Yellow. It's a collection of stories, some of which refer to a play called The King in Yellow which drives the audience mad. The Yellow Sign was associated with Hastur in Lovecraft's works. Hastur isn't technically a creation of Lovecraft, but the Lovecraft mythos spans several authors whose stories borrowed and shared a collective world or at the least a collective connection to the unknowable and unspeakable horrors beyond. Chambers wrote his book more than 40 years before HP Lovecraft wrote but inspired his works. 

• Thanks 1

Did someone mention Khan?

5 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Did someone mention Khan?

I was wondering how long it would take you to show up.  :P

• Tongue 1

I miss that dude and all his gif. Disclaimer; only the one who looks like Sherly.

Actually I saw a clip of another version Khan and laughed my a** off because the costume is so weird. (after all it was in a compilation about very very weird movie costume), all this while I thought Khan was the one who scream Khaaan, forgive my Star Trek illiterate. 

15 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I saw a clip of another version Khan and laughed my a** off because the costume is so weird. (after all it was in a compilation about very very weird movie costume), all this while I thought Khan was the one who scream Khaaan, forgive my Star Trek illiterate. 

Nope, it was Kirk in the original-cast movie (Wrath of Khan) and Spock ( !! ) in the reboot (Into Darkness).

As for Khan's costume, I assume you're talking about the one with the scandalous decolletage (here)?   :wacko:   That's from Wrath of Khan.  He wore less-revealing outfits (here and here) in his earliest appearance, the original-series episode "Space Seed."

On 10/16/2020 at 4:33 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Nope, it was Kirk in the original-cast movie (Wrath of Khan)

Now then I know 😊

Spock ( !! ) in the reboot (Into Darkness).

this, I didn't realize before, actually when I mention Khaaaaan, it's only me gagaing. But then I noticed you guys did it too, so I foolishly thought you guys are nuts too. Eventually I found out but not for a loooong time.

As for Khan's costume, I assume you're talking about the one with the scandalous decolletage (here)?

Yes, this one. Saw that in one of those Youtube videos about horrendous movie costumes. One of them is Sean Connery's some kind of abominable red bikini or not sure what. Entertaining video though.

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Saw that in one of those Youtube videos about horrendous movie costumes. One of them is Sean Connery's some kind of abominable red bikini or not sure what. Entertaining video though.

I guess I'm glad you didn't post a link.  *shudder*

Let me clarify that, though.  I fully support anybody's right to wear whatever they damn well please.  But I'm not obligated to enjoy looking at them.

That movie is called Zardoz, if anyone wants to see for themselves (don't recommend it, though).

4 hours ago, Caya said:

That movie is called Zardoz, ....

Are you talking about the Youtube video with horrible male costumes?  Or am I missing your point entirely?

Zardoz is the movie where Sean Connery had to wear that red, er, costume. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This may explain why I've never seen Zardoz all the way through. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Caya said:

Zardoz is the movie where Sean Connery had to wear that red, er, costume. 

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

This may explain why I've never seen Zardoz all the way through. 

Heck, it may explain why I've never even heard of it!!!

I didn't see this topic!! 

My avatar picture is one of my favorite Sherlock pictures. I think Sherlock is very handsome in this picture... 

And as for my user name, Jen is one of my favorite names, forever. I've always used this name on the web... a lot of people call me Jen since... Most of my friend call me Jen when we see each. It's almost like it's my real name 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jen said:

It's almost like it's my real name

And I've been assuming your name was Jeanette or something similar.  Well, Jen is a nice name anyhow!

• Like 1

My real name is very different, it's a Russian name, "Marika", which means "Mary". My mother is of Nordic descent. 

But I'm used to being called Jen ! 😅

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jen said:

I didn't see this topic!! 

My avatar picture is one of my favorite Sherlock pictures. I think Sherlock is very handsome in this picture... 

And as for my user name, Jen is one of my favorite names, forever. I've always used this name on the web... a lot of people call me Jen since... Most of my friend call me Jen when we see each. It's almost like it's my real name 😂

That's one of my favorite Sherlock pictures as well. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 2:26 PM, Jen said:

My avatar picture is one of my favorite Sherlock pictures.

Which episode is it from?