Hello everybody!

Bedelia

Hello! I'm Bedelia (32) from Spain and I'm so glad to have found this forum. I've been watching Sherlock since the first series came out and although at first I needed to almost reach a nirvana state to understand the dialogues (so fast!) now I can watch it easily and enjoy it to the fullest. 

I would like to say hello to all members and I hope I'll get to know some of you and discuss what I think it's the best show that has ever graced my telly. 

Thank you for reading. Cheers!

¡Hola Bedelia! ¿Cómo estás?

¡Bienvenido a Sherlock Forum!

:smiley: 

¡Hola! Muy bien, ¡gracias! ¿Y tu? ¡Gracias por la bienvenida!

(Hello! Very good, thanks! And you? Thanks for the welcome message!) 

¡Hola! Muy bien, ¡gracias! ¿Y tu?

Muy bien, gracias.

¡Gracias por la bienvenida!

(Hello! Very good, thanks! And you? Thanks for the welcome message!)

De nada.

:smiley:

Hello Bakerstreet Irregular! Thank you!! Me too! So exciting to meet fellow fans ;) I'm sure it'll be like home in here. Cheers!

Hello Bedelia and welcome to the forum! :wave:

We're glad you found us :). Make yourself right at home, it's been a couple weeks since Vow but we're still hotly debating, so jump right in!

Hello Caya! Thank you! I'm glad i found you, too! I have friends who love Sherlock but I wanted to talk to other people from other countries to know their opinions, impressions, etc.. and I think I found the perfect place for that. I will definitely join the discussion! Thank you!!

Welcome to Sherlock Forum, Bedelia! :welcome:

I've been watching Sherlock since the first series came out and although at first I needed to almost reach a nirvana state to understand the dialogues (so fast!) now I can watch it easily and enjoy it to the fullest.

Even though my native language is English, it's the American kind, so you're certainly not the only one here who needed some practice understanding the dialog (especially those lightening-fast deductions!).  Even now, I'm often grateful for subtitles (even though they're not always correct, unfortunately).

Welcome to Sherlock Forum, Bedelia! :welcome:

I've been watching Sherlock since the first series came out and although at first I needed to almost reach a nirvana state to understand the dialogues (so fast!) now I can watch it easily and enjoy it to the fullest.

Even though my native language is English, it's the American kind, so you're certainly not the only one here who needed some practice understanding the dialog (especially those lightening-fast deductions!).  Even now, I'm often grateful for subtitles (even though they're not always correct, unfortunately).

Hello! So it wasn't just me! hehe Benedict is a really gifted actor, being able to deliver those "lightening-fast deductions" as you very well put it. Subtitles were helpful, as watching it dubbed in spanish was never an option (I don't like the way the dialogues has been translated; they have changed the meaning of certain parts :S).

• Like 1

To say nothing of having the "wrong" voices!

I believe what you say about changing the meaning, though.  I remember a little Spanish from my school days, and one time when we were watching The Hobbit on DVD, I turned on the Spanish dubbing and the Spanish subtitles, thinking that the subtitles would help me keep up with the spoken dialog.  I found myself floundering, though, and finally realized that the dubbing and the subtitles were two entirely different translations!

It's hard enough for an American to catch all the nuances of the British dialog, let alone trying to translate into a completely different language without losing something.

Hello Carol! You're right, not to mention the wrong voices indeed! hehe Yeah, I've also found that problem sometimes when I turn on the subtitles for certain shows. Translating is serious business but sometimes it's like the translators aren't even trying. For example:

In Study in Pink, when John visits 221b for the first time they say these lines (not verbatim):

J:  ..as soon as we clean all this mess up.

S:  ..so i moved right away.

It's funny because John thinks all the mess is from years of being vacated or something but it turns out that Sherlock was already living there. And how did they translate it into spanish?

J: ..cuando limpiemos todo esto.

S: 

Yep, no translation for Sherlock. Nothing. Nada. Nice, huh? Not to mention many connotations missed :(

• Like 1

In Study in Pink, when John visits 221b for the first time they say these lines (not verbatim):

J:  ..as soon as we clean all this mess up.

S:  ..so i moved right away.

It's funny because John thinks all the mess is from years of being vacated or something but it turns out that Sherlock was already living there. And how did they translate it into spanish?

J: ..cuando limpiemos todo esto.

S: 

Yep, no translation for Sherlock. Nothing. Nada. Nice, huh? Not to mention many connotations missed :(

*sigh*  Well, at least they did a reasonable translation of John's line.

Lest you feel bad about the Spanish translations, though, the English subtitles are occasionally just plain wrong (in my opinion). For example, in "Empty Hearse," Mary and John have a brief conversation that ends with her saying (according to my ears), "All right, be careful. See you later." But the subtitles have it as, "I'm late for Cath. I'll see you later" -- which might make make sense if they'd ever mentioned someone named Catherine. But they haven't yet.

What I don't understand is -- why do they apparently make the subtitle people work from scratch -- why don't they give them a copy of the script?!

Hello Ruthyone! *waves back* Thanks for welcoming me! Carol te Dabbler: My thoughts precisely! Why don't they give them a copy of the script? I always thought that was the case but I've found cases like the one you mention and then I came to the conclusion that they definitely not send scripts to the different channels in other countries. If you ask me, it must be some evil plot by Moffat and Gatiss, hehehe They must be like "deduce that, translator!" Nah, joking ;)

*sigh* Well, at least they did a reasonable translation of John's line.

Lest you feel bad about the Spanish translations, though, the English subtitles are occasionally just plain wrong (in my opinion). For example, in "Empty Hearse," Mary and John have a brief conversation that ends with her saying (according to my ears), "All right, be careful. See you later." But the subtitles have it as, "I'm late for Cath. I'll see you later" -- which might make make sense if they'd ever mentioned someone named Catherine. But they haven't yet.

Well, I always heard "I'm late for Cath" and thought it was ok that Mary had a friend called Cath and it made perfect sense to me. But English is not my native language so I can easily be wrong. I will focus on this line next time I see it.

Oh and welcome to the forum Bedelia :)

Hello Janie! Thank you! Regarding the "i'm late for cath" vs "be careful" thing, it's a tough one. I just watched that scene again, and my non native ears hear "i'm late for cath" too, like Janie, BUT I'm not native, so you're probably right and it's "be careful". It's hard to listen since her voice drops at that particular moment. 

Yes, her voice drops, and I had a hard time understanding that line.  I would probably have gone the easy route and believed the subtitles, except that that scene was in one of the trailers (with no subtitles), and someone on the forum asked what she was saying.  I played that part of the video several times, trying to make sense of it, and my first approximation was "light the castle" (I'll agree that "late for Cath" makes more sense than that!).  But after a few more listens, I started to hear it as "all right, be careful."  It never did sound like "late for Cath" to me.

Admittedly, I may be hearing "be careful" simply because that version makes more sense to me (and "Cath" was never mentioned again).  I would dearly love to see the script (and not just for that line!).

Question to those who are hearing "late for Cath":  Did you hear it that way before seeing the subtitles?

Yes, I did. I definitely heard "Late for" but wasn't sure about "Cath". After it was confirmed by the subtitles I stopped paying attention to that line.

Yes, I did. I definitely heard "Late for" but wasn't sure about "Cath". After it was confirmed by the subtitles I stopped paying attention to that line.

Well, then, maybe it's just me, trying to make sense of that line without the subtitles.

In that case, odd that she didn't say "late for Janine," just to tie things together.  Maybe Cath is one of the other bridesmaids?  Or Mary's hairdresser?  Don't suppose we'll ever know.

Bedelia, do you watch in Spanish or in English? (It seems like you watch it in English with Spanish subtitles.)

If you do watch in English, congratulations! In Germany they overdub EVERY non-German TV show. I couldn't watch something where the mouths don't match the words.

Hello jknitt! (wie geht's? ich möchte auch Sherlock auf Deutsch fernsehen. Did i say it correctly?) I watch it in english and sometimes with english subtitles. But when I'm with friends, sometimes we watch it in spanish. I can imagine the problem you have in Germany, I mean, it's difficult to match the mouth movements with the dialogues. Have you found certain discrepancies between the original dialogues and the translation in german as well?

:welcome: Bedelia! I'm new too! :)

Hello Pawse! Thank you and welcome to you too, lol How long have you been here? I hope I'll be able to participate more in a week or so.