Alice Holmes

Are You Being Served?

All right, I'm sure people have seen this. But if anyone wants to talk about Are You Being Served?, you can do that here. (For those who think they know what I'm talking about but aren't sure, firstly, I can'believe you wouldn't remember ever seeing this and secondly, it's a 1970s-1980s British television comedy series about the workers in a department store called Grace Brothers.)

I've watched it and think it's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

I can't believe they got away with half the innuendo they did...

Oh my god! You guys know this? I love "Are You Being Served"! It was my introduction to British Comedy and I used to watch it with my grandfather, who would regularly fall out of his chair laughing, especially over the wallpaper and paste fight in "The Club". When I was little, I got not a single one of the quite blatant double meanings and innunendo, though. I laughed because my grandpa laughed and because the characters were funny and there were all these hilarious props. Then, when I got the first seven seasons on DVD over a decade later in a burst of sentimentality after his death, I went "oh my god!"

• Like 3

Seeing as how I share your grandfather's love of Pogo, maybe I'd better get this show ....  :P

Well, be warned, it is the kind of TV one can easily feel embarrassed about liking. Basically, it combines slapstick humor and every sin against political correctness under the sun with a cast of quite brilliant actors and sometimes surprisingly witty dialogue. The last time I checked, there was quite a lot of it on youtube. If your internet connection isn't up to it, why don't you ask your husband to procure an episode or two for you so you can get an impression. The first episode has the promising title "Dear Sexy Knickers"...

I've watched it my whole life, but when I was under twelve I could only watch it when my parents weren't around because they didn't allow me to. I was thirteen or so before I was legally able to watch it, and it's definitely my favourite comedy. And yes, I am constantly amazed that they allow some of those innuendos to be shown on telly before 9:00 P.M., honestly.

And I love "Dear Sexy Knickers..." Love at first ep.

And Mr Humphries makes my life better every time he speaks. Or walks, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean.

My parents let me watch this when I was really young. Basically, nobody in my family went against my grandpa, and besides, it was pretty evident that I was way too innocent to understand more than half of what I saw there, anyway. I didn't even understand the "pussy" jokes.

Yeah, same. Like everything just went over my head, so I'm not sure what my mother had against it. Maybe it was Mr Humphries. I'm not sure.

So are we all going to pop up in various places on the forum with an "I'm free!" now?

• Like 2

Better than muttering "men's wear" in guttural tones only to squeak "oh, hello mother" the next minute...

Mr Humphries is really an innocent piece of camp cliché, I don't see how watching him can harm children in any way. At least he's nice. By far the nicest person in that department... Remember the episode where they were threatening to cut down on staff? He was the only one nobody wanted to leave.

• Like 1

The innuendos are why this show is priceless! American humor can be so crass, crude, and rude. I can't watch it it's sssooo in your face blatant. But this, this was so deadpan and dry it really zinged you when you got it it was just so unexpected.

I've been wondering what show I should watch next and this one sounds good. I love British humour so I think I'll give it a go :)

• Like 2

Yes. You will be embarrassed. Very much.

Okay, here are the things I want to say.

1) I'm free!

2) If anyone has watched Grace and Favour (the 90s reunion two-season show), the BEST 'pussy' joke is in that. They find a mummified cat in the wall, and they all take it to a museum, and Mrs. Slocombe states to a museum worker, 'I have a pussy' (dramatic pause) 'Of great antiquity.' (Of course the 'R' in 'great' is rolled.) The man promptly falls over.

3) The MOST embarrassing (I mean like never-tell-a-soul, blush-when-you-think-about-it embarrassing) crush I've ever had is Mr Humphries. I can't help it, he's just so loveable! And I know this is very argument-inducing (yes, I have actually made enemies over this), but I'm pretty sure he's bi, and that also makes me very happy.

4) Last thing. The other day my little sister dared me (we were in a ridiculous mood) that the next time the phone rang, I would lower my voice and say, 'Men's wear.' I did, and it was my grandmother, who couldn't figure out what I was saying, and the whole thing proved very awkward. 

• Like 1

John Inman singing 'Are You Being Served (Sir)' - it's a little bit naughty if you're easily offended

...His whole existence is a little bit naughty if you're easily offended.

Total classic! :D