Pamela

Google Chrome vs. Internet Explorer

Google Chrome is my default browser.  The forum has suddenly lost its format and is appearing with a white background and mostly left-justified.  I believe it has no HTML.  (Is that the right term?)

I opened Internet Explorer to check it out, and it's fine from that browser.

I've been a member a couple of months now.  Once last month this happened, but for only a day or so, and then I came home and it had cleared  itself up.  This time it has been several days now.  The first time I had not checked IE.  So it is definitely a browser thing.

Everything I do is on the Google Chrome browser (including my email, on which I receive notifications of postings), and I really have no wish to change.  Is there anything that can be done about this?  Is anybody else having this issue?

Thank you.

Have other pages also lost text and layers?

You probably don't mean HTML but PHP. HTML is the plain page, mostly.

Did you recently add some extension? Sometimes these modify what's to be shown. Easiest way is to uninstall, clear  personal/setting files, install. Works but it's not really helping. You lose passwords and so on. If you have an idea what could be the troublemaker, that'd be best, probably. 

I'd also check for adware. Had some issue with lightningtab/delta homes (or something similiar) a week ago or so. Sometimes stuff just... gets in. Messed my Chrome settings up, and it took me 15 minutes to fix it. Happens.

That's the trouble with Chrome. Faster but not quite as safe.

No, I'm not having any problems like this with any other sites or pages, just this forum.  And I do participate in other forums.

I don't know what you mean by 'some extension.'  Sorry, obviously, I'm no techie.

And do you mean uninstall and then reinstall Chrome?  Oh my, that's huge.  I'm not ready to take that extreme step.  I have Chrome set up so perfectly the way I want it, I'm just not really ready to do it all again.

I also don't know how to "check for adware."  I have Norton 360, and I trust that to keep my computer clean and safe, and I believe it does.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not much of a techie myself XD So no shame there.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions

Look here. There you can get extensions. They work like firefox' add ons. You can get useful widgets, themes, and so on. It's basically just extras. You don't have to have installed an extension from chrome's shop. Programs can affect your browser, like when they ask you if you want their search bar and so on. Basically, did you install something like that?

Yep. Uninstall, clear personal/setting files and install. LIke I said, solves the problem more than likely but it doesn't help with your problem. It's like getting a tiger to get rid of a rodent. Just if you notice that you have other problems too, that's the last resort.

Adware is a bit hard to track. They don't hurt your computer, they can mess with your settings, though. Nerve-wrecking. They render advertisements and aren't malicious in itself. You sometimes don't even notice them. But some change settings, and then you notice them. I don't think it's that problem but it never hurts to check. If you never good a warning message, I doubt you have a problem like that.

Okay, I checked out the extensions, and I don't have anything like that.

As for adware, I haven't noticed any popups or ads.

I understand what you're saying about the uninstall/install of Chrome being a last resort - sort of like a computer reboot is a last resort "when all else fails."  I will consider it if no other solution presents itself.  For now, though, I can limp along -- in Chrome, I can actually read the forum, even if it doesn't look right, and if I want to browse it correctly, I'll jump over to IE.

What I can't understand is that this isn't happening to other forum users who use Google Chrome.  Or maybe they just not spoken up yet?

I got rid of Chrome fast cuz I had so many problems like this with it. Have you tried going thru your internet settings to see if they're all set right?

Also, have you checked Chrome's help pages? I found a partial solution there to one of my problems. But finally I just went back to IE.

Also do you have a fairly recent operating system on your computer? (Vista or above). After I upgraded to Vista I had far fewer problems with the 'net.

'Fraid that's all I got for you, I'm no techie either. Good luck!

Arcadia - I'm ashamed to say, I don't know what you mean by going through my internet settings.  Yes, I'm really a dope about these things.

No, I haven't checked Chrome's help pages yet.

Yes, I run Vista OS.

The thing is, I've been using Google Chrome for years, and this has never, ever happened before this forum, and every other website/page I view is absolutely fine.  It's just this forum.

What you describe sounds a lot like the "format" that Firefox defaults to when my internet speed is extra-slow.  However, I have no idea what that might mean in your case, because in my case it clears up as soon as I desist from loading several tabs simultaneously.  It's never persisted as you describe.

However, the fact that it's happened before and then cleared up on its own would seem to imply that it's NOT how you have things set up on your computer, it's some more-or-less external factor.  Like what?  Unfortunately, I have no idea.

Mangopony uses Chrome.  If she doesn't show up in this thread soon, you could try PMing her.

Hello!

I use Chrome as my main browser as well, on all my devices. The only times I've seen the behaviour you describe is, as Carol mentioned, when the connection is slow. The forum is quite CSS-heavy, CSS being what makes the plain old unformatted page you get when it plays up "look like the forum is supposed to". Unfortunately, CSS is also the last thing to be downloaded and applied to the page, so when the internet is slow, it's the first thing to disappear.

One reason it may be persisting is caching. All browsers do it, and cache pages (or parts of them) locally every time you visit them. If they cache a "good" version of a page, that can really speed up your experience of the web. If they cache a "bad" version of the page, you can get problems like the one you describe persisting. If it is that, clearing the cache or forcing a reload without using the cache should sort it. How does one do that? Veeeery simply! Next time the page loads "white", simply press Ctrl+Shift+R (I think that's the shortcut in chrome!) to reload without using the cache. If that doesn't work, you may want to clear the whole cache... I would need to look up the steps for that, it's very easy to do when I have the browser in front of me but I can never remember what they are off the top,of my head :-)

Let us know if that works!

• Like 1

And do you mean uninstall and then reinstall Chrome?  Oh my, that's huge.  I'm not ready to take that extreme step.  I have Chrome set up so perfectly the way I want it, I'm just not really ready to do it all again.

If you have signed into Chrome you can have it sync all of your settings to your Goole account, these will then be applied

across all devices on which you use chrome while logged in. Without you having to do a thing other than enter your email and password.

This also means you can re-install the browser on the same machine, sign in, and voila all of your settings will be automatically applied. :)

The only caveat is to make sure you only sign in on trusted, non-public devices. (In other words not at the local library, Internet cafe, or on devices that you don't own.)

I also don't know how to "check for adware."  I have Norton 360, and I trust that to keep my computer clean and safe, and I believe it does.

It is extremely unlikely to be an adware issue, but there are trusted, free adware solutions that can be used alongside your main anti-virus in order to give extra peace of mind. Spybot is free to private users, and is generally pretty well regarded.

Thanks for your help.

We aim to please. :)

• Like 2

And, echoing what Banshee said, my first suspect when dealing with CSS issues is connectivity problems. If you are on broadband it may be as simple as powering your router down and then switching it on again. You may not be seeing problems on other sites as the forum software's stylesheets (the code files that control the look of the page, rather than the content) are more complex than is typical for other types of website. There may also be some external connectivity issue that is peculiar to the way this forum's pages are routed through the Internet, which doesn't affect other forums.

Try clearing your cache (remembering to only select the 'Empty the cache' option, and none of the others) and restarting your router before going to the extreme of reinstalling Chrome. 

• Like 1

Google Chrome is my default browser.  The forum has suddenly lost its format and is appearing with a white background and mostly left-justified.  I believe it has no HTML.  (Is that the right term?)

The HTML is the language that renders the content of a page, ie: text, tables, lists, etc.... In this case HTML content is all you are seeing.

Have other pages also lost text and layers?

You probably don't mean HTML but PHP. HTML is the plain page, mostly.

CSS is what controls the look of the page. This takes the form of a text file or files which the browser "reads" last thing, in order to find out how a page should look. It is loaded separately from and after the HTML.

Broadly speaking PHP is a language which is run by the server and used to automatically compile HTML content from numerous other files or modules, and feed them to the browser, this allows elements to be called on by any page without the code having to be duplicated all over the place.

• Like 1

One other thing I would always advise to anyone is to always keep your browser updated to the latest version. This not only helps with security, but also with compatibility.

• Like 1

I opened Internet Explorer to check it out, and it's fine from that browser.

I've been a member a couple of months now.  Once last month this happened, but for only a day or so, and then I came home and it had cleared  itself up.  This time it has been several days now.  The first time I had not checked IE.  So it is definitely a browser thing.

Everything I do is on the Google Chrome browser (including my email, on which I receive notifications of postings), and I really have no wish to change.  Is there anything that can be done about this?  Is anybody else having this issue?

Thank you.

I would suggest deleting you cache and cookies. I've had similar problems before and this worked. Here's a link with a video :-) 

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95582

• Like 1

Wow, you guys are amazing.  Thanks so much for the help and education!

I've cleared the cache and restarted the router, but still no change.

I will, as Carol noted, make sure I'm not loading too many tabs.  (I think I have six.)

*Sigh*  I suppose I can and will put up with this for now.  As I said before, I can read the un-CSS posts in Chrome, and if I want to browse a nice version of the forum, I can flip over to IE.