Ruthyone

Benedict Cumberbatch News

Apparently, since I don't seem to get a "play" button.  I know that videos on the BBC website are region-restricted, but I thought I'd been able to play some audios before -- maybe they've been overwhelmed by all the Cumberbatch fans lately!  It's perfectly understandable that the website can support only so many listeners at a time, and since the BBC is funded by people in the UK, it makes perfect sense that they would give preference to those people.

There are, of course, ways to circumvent the restriction, but since the BBC is nice enough to provide Sherlock for us, we don't "advertise" those methods on this forum.

P.S.:  You might check to see whether anyone's put those recreated broadcasts (several apiece by Benedict Cumberbatch and Patrick Stewart) on YouTube yet.

He might not (yet?) be James Bond, but Benedict Cumberbatch voices a lupine secret agent named Classified in the next Penguins of Madagascar film (source).

tumblr_n6v3bgPjdc1rnwoh4o1_400.jpg

'A six-month Guardian multimedia investigation has for the first time tracked how some of the world's big-supermarkets, Tesco, Aldi, Walmart and Morrisons, are using suppliers relying on salve labour to put cheap prawns on their shelved.  Slavery is back and here's the proof.  Narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch'.  I was in two minds on whether to post this link here because it is a really serious subject and I didn't want to make it less by saying hey look what Ben has been up to, but then again it is a very serious subject so the more people that get to watch it the better.  

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/video/2014/jun/10/slavery-supermarket-supply-trail-prawns-video?CMP=fb_gu

• Like 4

Actually, I don't think slavery ever disappeared completely -- once it was largely abolished in the "western world," it just didn't get so much notice.  Good for Mr. Cumberbatch, helping to bring it back to our attention.

Penguins of Madagascar trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBCJXKJi0BA

Good thing Classified's going with the Khan style of landing, not the Sherlock style of landing :P

tumblr_n70pc8gfxf1rf5yf7o3_400.gif

(source)

• Like 4

That growl...! :D

Ooooohhhh that's to rich. They go on a long fall to use a bouncy house to break it. Anyone remember this?

elib_5330814.jpg?w=650&h=375&crop=1#038;
Sherlock was seen throwing himself off a rooftop in The Reichenbach Fall (Picture: BBC)
WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD.
The secret behind the mysterious fake death in BBC series Sherlock has finally been revealed by sources close to the Benedict Cumberbatch-led show.
In a dramatic cliffhanger ending to 2012 episode The Reichenbach Fall, Sherlock Holmes was seen falling to his death, only to be seen alive moments later.
Fans have speculated for over a year about how the character, played by Cumberbatch, could have faked his own death, but now the truth is finally out.
‘Sherlock faked his death in The Reichenbach Fall by jumping onto a large bouncy castle,’ a production source revealed.
‘Sherlock fans are known for their penchant for coming up with theories to solve mysteries we set,’ the insider continued, ‘and there have been some very plausible ideas this time.
‘But we’ve outwitted them this time. No one would have guessed that a bouncy castle would be at the heart of the resolution. It’s too clever.’
In The Reichenbach Fall, Sherlock’s friend and assistant Dr Watson (Martin Freeman) is seen watching in horror as Sherlock leaps off the roof of St Bartholmew’s Hospital in London.
Knocked off his bicycle, Watson is thrown to the ground and when he looks up, Sherlock’s lifeless body is being carried away by hospital staff.
The source said Watson’s momentary lapse in concentration was crucial to the complex resolution of the mystery.
hjngh.jpg
Sherlock bosses will employ the use of a bouncy castle, like the one in this file picture
It’s during this time that the bouncy castle removal men come and take the bouncy castle away, leaving some ketchup on the pavement so that it looks like Sherlock’s blood.
The bouncy castle is said to be printed with images of the street onto which Sherlock falls, so that it blends in with its surroundings and becomes invisible.
Speaking to The Guardian last year, showrunner Steven Moffat said of the episode: ‘There is a clue everybody’s missed … So many people theorising about Sherlock’s death online – and they missed it!’
The missing clue is believed to be a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it shot of a van whose side reads ‘Barry’s Bouncy Castle Hire’.
Filming for series three of Sherlock has already begun and the resolution to the fake death mystery has been shot.
‘The cast and crew had great fun on the bouncy castle while they were filming,’ added the source.
‘Benedict was on there for hours and had to be coaxed off with a bottle of Sunny Delight. He’s just a big kid, that guy.’
April Fool! In case there was any doubt, this is just a big joke from Metro on April Fools’ Day 2013…

• Like 2

The kitten kissing Khan's face....... :rofl:

But it was an interesting and thoughtful article. It would be nice if he never becomes the "bleach blond, botoxed" type of beautiful person and more of Hollywood follows suit.

• Like 1

I once read about a study where they showed all sorts of faces to the participants, and the ones they overwhelmingly found the most beautiful were ones where they'd morphed a lot of real faces together, which would of course tend to average them out.  In other words, beautiful = average.  But in my book, average = boring.

I prefer interesting faces, which includes pretty much everyone in Sherlock.

• Like 3

At least she acknowledged that his talent had something to do with his popularity. If he looked the way he does but couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, I don't think he'd be getting the attention he's getting.....

• Like 1

By the way, how many of our biggest (currently) stars ARE beach-blond botoxers? I can't think of one, offhand, who doesn't have something interesting going on in his/her face...

Thank goodness!  Hopefully those days are over.

• Like 2

Having actually seen the man in the flesh I can tell you he stands out, there is this otherness about his face (or perhaps I was going into Fangirl mode at the time), no I actually made a point to look at him and I got to look at him close up for about a good 5 minutes or more, his cheekbones are impossible, and his eyes are piercing, there is a such a beauty to his face.

• Like 4

I've seen him about a foot away...but he was on set and caked in about 4 inches of make up!

• Like 1

Wow, what a description of his face.  Not sure what to make of that.  And some of those comments, sheesh  some people make him out to sound like an ogre.  He does have a unique look and I think he really grew into his looks too.  I've seen pictures of him when he was younger and he didn't have the striking handsomeness that he has now.  His features have sharpened, there's a depth of intelligence and experience behind the eyes, etc.  If he continues to improve with age I'm not sure the world could handle it. 

• Like 1

... some of those comments, sheesh  some people make him out to sound like an ogre.  He does have a unique look....

I guess some people are really into that no-distinguishing-characteristics standard of physical beauty. The old-style "pretty boy" leading man look is certainly palatable enough, but there's nothing memorable. I love looking at faces where everything goes nicely together, but in a unique sort of way.

But this is not new at all,  Sophia Loren is not what you would call a "classic beauty", but it all comes together and WOW! I would love to think that we are growing up as a society in terms of what we find beautiful, but I really do not think that is the case at all, just that once in a while someone comes along that does not fit into that pre-determined ideal and yet we all agree that they are beautiful. 

True but I also think more comes into play than even just his looks.  I think the whole package.  His looks (which are dreamy.  Did I just sound like a 1950s schoolgirl?), his voice, his extreme talent, his charisma, charm, intellect, passion for life, etc. etc.  Its like an alignment of so many different elements that just went kapow - this is someone special.   Maybe Sophia Loren is the same thing?  The same looks on a duller person might not have made a splash.  I don't know. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to remember a quote I once heard attributed to Marilyn Monroe.  Apparently she could walk down any city street unrecognized if she so chose, by simply not "being Marilyn Monroe."

I know, I know. Every time I see him make that remark about having had that face for ten years, I want to go "Oh sweetie, it's not just the face, it's the whole package!"

Srsly, who is a big star who is also a classic beauty these days? Brad Pitt, maybe? But even he's got something unique going on, and I don't mean Angelina. :)

For me, the old time movie star....like Cary Grant, Fred Astaire, Grace Kelly...and I think Benedict Cumberbatch has it too....is panache.  They had style....grace....a presence on screen and off. They never seemed fake.  You hardly ever heard any bad press about them. No tabloid news like so many stars today.

• Like 1