The Hobbit (the Jackson films)

Me too -- especially with "The Last Farewell" playing in the background. :cry:

Is that the song Pippin, pardon, his actor, sings? I just love that. It's every bit as beautiful as Into the West.

• Like 1

Yes, Billy Boyd did indeed write "The Last Farewell" (apparently in conjunction with some of the producers). Here's an article that has the video of the song, plus the video of an interview where he talks about writing it (among other things).

• Like 1

Aw, they even managed to get BC in there. :smile: Nice video, and I like his voice. I thought his song in ROTK was a really nice bit too. In fact, I appreciated that PJ kept the singing as part of the story; I was worried that it would either be left out or feel cheesy, but he fit it in quite well.

I actually bought the Ed Sheeran song from the first Hobbit movie, I liked it so much. My favorite is still the one by Enya, from Fellowship.

• Like 1

What are the titles of the three LotR closing songs?  (I know the last one is "Into the West.")  And the other two Hobbit songs?  (One, presumably from TDoS was something about fire?)  Somehow, only the closing ones seem to really stick with me, though I'm sure I'd recognize the others if I heard them.

The Hobbit songs are "I See Fire" and "Misty Mountains". "May It Be" was the first LoTR movie. No idea what the second one was.

• Like 1

"Gollum's Song" was the one at the end of "The Two Towers".

Gollum's Song? No kidding? Presumably not the one he was singing about fish, though? I don't think I ever noticed that title.

No kidding.  :smile:  And no, not the fish-whacking song, lol.  Emiliana Torrini sings it.  It's kind of creepy and depressing at the same time.

• Like 1

He's talking about losing the ring, isn't he, and about Frodo having it? Wow, I don't recall ever noticing that song. Maybe I just never connected it with Gollum, 'cause without that connection it's just a generic depressing song with no obvious connection to the movie.

The second movie is the most depressing for me and I think it's the only one where I didn't sit through the end credits because I had a splitting headache at the cinema. I had only just gotten my glasses back then and had forgotten to wear them. Big mistake.

He's talking about losing the ring, isn't he, and about Frodo having it? Wow, I don't recall ever noticing that song. Maybe I just never connected it with Gollum, 'cause without that connection it's just a generic depressing song with no obvious connection to the movie.

I'm not sure.  I have a few interpretations of the song in my head, and I don't know which is correct.  (Maybe they all are.)  I always thought some of it was referring to his past and what became of him because of the Ring.  It could also be viewed as a sort of parallel to what would happen to Frodo.  What's really interesting to me is the switch in pronouns between "I/You" and "We/Us".  It could be Gollum talking to/about the Ring, or Gollum talking to Frodo, or Gollum talking to himself/a conversation between Gollum and Smeagol.

I found a couple links where people were discussing their interpretations of the song; I thought it was interesting to read the different perspectives.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3175-gollums-song-lyrics/

http://quillsandparchment-h.blogspot.com/2008/05/on-gollums-song.html

I didn't have any difficulty connecting the song to Gollum myself, because Gollum has the last line in "The Two Towers" and it's played immediately after.  Also the change in pronouns again.  And if nothing else, I wouldn't know who else it'd be connected with, lol.

• Like 2

All this hobbit talk has inspired me to have a Hobbit/LotR movie marathon this weekend.

I just realized that Benedict Cumberbatch voiced Necromancer/Sauron too, that's cool.  Not sure I knew that before.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed. He had ... what? One line of Black Speech? If I understand correctly, they also used his body. Benedict Cumberbatch as Sauron ... interesting casting. :smile: It could work! Maybe PJ will film the Silmarillion too. 

• Like 1

Maybe PJ will film the Silmarillion too. 

I'm not sure I'd want that.  I mean, I'd be interested to see "The Silmarillion" on film.  I'm not sure I want PJ to do it.  This is my very subjective opinion here, but I wasn't happy with a lot of what he did with "The Hobbit".  (My hat's off to the actors though, who all did a great job.)  It seemed to me he was burnt out after LotR and wanted to pursue other things.  Honestly I think he only took it up begrudgingly because there was so much pressure, and then used the opportunity to experiment; which he did too much of, in my opinion.  If he were to return to Middle-Earth and direct something like "The Silmarillion", I'd only want it to be if his heart were back in it.  I'd want it to be given the same level of sophistication and dedication to the material that LotR had.  Otherwise I'd rather his hands stayed off it.

Come to think of it, the situation with Moftiss and "Sherlock" right now is similar to me.  Season 4 was "The Hobbit" of the "Sherlock" series, lol.  I think Moftiss are burnt out and want to pursue other things for awhile, like "Dracula".  When their heart's back in it and they can get back to the essence of the show they started, I'd like to see a 5th season.  Until then, I don't think they should make more, or they'll run the risk of ruining it.

• Like 3

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed. He had ... what? One line of Black Speech?

He spoke in a few different scenes, but not a lot.  There were some lines during his confrontation with Gandalf, his confrontation with Galadriel, and a short conversation with Azog about being evil, lol.  There were some other lines scattered here and there throughout.  I watched the extended editions this weekend, but I haven't seen the theatrical versions since my viewing of them in the theater, so I can't recall which scenes weren't included.  Here are a couple videos though.

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever watched the extended versions of the Hobbit. I devoured the ones from LotR. *sigh*

• Like 1

There are a few pretty cool scenes -- though not some I was hoping to see.  But also some that I can see why they decided to omit them, not needed.

Tbh, I don't think I ever even unwrapped the last Hobbit DVD. Saw it twice, that (apparently) was enough. Should, though; I could FF through all the orcy bits, yay! (And the guy on the pig. Really? That was embarrassing. Poor Dain.)

• Like 1

You had to go and remind me of that scene, didn't you?  Now it'll take me another year or two to wipe it from my memory again.  *grumble*

• Like 1

Sorry. Will a cookie help?  :cookie:  It's made with brain bleach.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

O.O How could all these times I missed the Mr. Fabulous himself, Thranduil the Elven King of Mirkwood? Not even Legolas managed to capture my attention like this.

Tut tut, Shadow, you obviously didn't pay enough attention...... :p

• Like 2

Tut tut, Shadow, you obviously didn't pay enough attention...... :P

It seems so to my eternal shame.... I want that kind of hair :wub: (without the surely god-awful efforts to keep it gorgeous like that, please).  XD Also,  he is aesthetically pleasant. If there is such thing as male-beauty he would be easily occupy the nomination for the top spot. :rose:

0_0 How on earth he keep that hair from getting tangled so much, with teflon-coating or what?!