The Hobbit (the Jackson films)

Elves are born perfect, they don't need any "product" to keep them that way. :d Although having a hairdresser following your every move might help.

• Like 2

Maybe Thranduil has a small group of elves that secretly comb is hair near constantly when he's not doing anything in front of others.

• Like 2

Elves are born perfect, they don't need any "product" to keep them that way. :D Although having a hairdresser following your every move might help.

Part and parcel of the image of perfection as an elven-king, eh (must be exhausting ^^; ).

Maybe Thranduil has a small group of elves that secretly comb is hair near constantly when he's not doing anything in front of others.

Brownies? Wait... that's wood-elves and in this universe they looks like Tauriel. That reminds me, today I have time to bake some brownies the cake. Fudgy-brownies... yum. A chocoholic in need of occasional death by chocolate dose. :D

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Discussion of the proposed Lord of the Rings television series has been moved to the General Tolkien Discussion thread.

• 10 months later...

Just came across a Hobbit-trilogy review written a couple weeks ago (on Bilbo & Frodo's birthday) by someone who had held off warching the movies because of all the bad things she'd heard about them, but finally decided to see for herself:

I Tried Giving the Hobbit Trilogy a Chance But it Just Hurts so Much

Must say I agree with most of what she says (though the Eagles to the Rescue Again theme was Tolkien's idea, not Jackson's -- would have been better to blame Jackson for the inexplicable sandworms), and I like the way she says it.

• Like 2

And another Hobbit-Day review by a fellow who acknowledges the trilogy's shortcomings, but chooses to focus on the marvelous performances.

Celebrating the Brilliant Performances in the Hobbit Trilogy

Must say I can't argue with him either!

• Like 1

Funnily enough, a few days ago I watched the video that your first link refers to. I can't argue with much of it; there's so much good in those films, but there's just too freakin' much of them. Orcs are boring!!

I'm glad to see your second link likes Richard Armitage's performance, as I also thought he was terrific. Not what I expected Thorin to be like, but once I got used to it, I thought it was a fabulous interpretation. And I'm glad most people seem to appreciate Martin's performance; I thought he was perfect. If/when I watch it again, he would be the reason why.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I'm glad most people seem to appreciate Martin's performance; I thought he was perfect. If/when I watch it again, he would be the reason why.

The main reason, yeah.  Like you, I also like most of the other characters and the actors' performances.  But I'd be sorely tempted to fast-forward through the orcs, wargs, battles, and elven acrobatics.

One gripe that I don't recall reading anywhere is that we never get a shot that makes clear the size difference between Tauriel and Fili (or was it Kili?).  Near as I can tell, none of their scenes made use of any scaling techniques other than judicious camera angles.  There's nothing equivalent to the composite shots of Bilbo with Gandalf, for example.

I have to say, I could honestly not care less about anything to do with Tauriel and Kili's 'romance'.  I'd rather have done without Tauriel altogether.  Sorry, lol.

56 minutes ago, Artemis said:

I could honestly not care less about anything to do with Tauriel and Kili's 'romance' I'd rather have done without Tauriel altogether.

I will admit to being pretty ambivalent, but then again if they were gonna do it, they should have done a proper job of it.

• Like 1

There's another instance of liking the actress' performance so much that I tend to forgive her presence, if you see what I mean. But yeah, wholly unnecessary to have that plot in the movies. And a couple of cameos of Legolas would have been more than sufficient.

I did like the attempt to follow Gandalf's adventures, because after all they are described in the appendices, and really, can you have too much Gandalf? (Nobody answer that! :D ) But the way it was actually done was … well, too too too much. 

I read somewhere that someone edited the three movies down to a two hour movie. That, I'd like to see (although I think three hours would be more appropriate.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

One gripe that I don't recall reading anywhere is that we never get a shot that makes clear the size difference between Tauriel and Fili (or was it Kili?).  Near as I can tell, none of their scenes made use of any scaling techniques other than judicious camera angles.  There's nothing equivalent to the composite shots of Bilbo with Gandalf, for example.

Oooh, forgot this point. I seem to remember there was at least one, but I ain't gonna watch the whole thing again to find it! :D And didn't Tauriel say that Kili (or Fili? I forget too) was tall for a dwarf? But yeah, there were several times where the height difference wasn't clear.

Is it true that Bombur had no lines at all? Or was that an exaggeration?

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

... a couple of cameos of Legolas would have been more than sufficient.

That's what I was expecting, though I would have been OK with him being fairly prominent in the scenes at Thranduil's palace and in the big battle.  He most certainly did NOT belong at Laketown, etc.  Besides, the way elves seem to age backward (as we also saw with Elrond) was a bit distracting.

Is it true that Bombur had no lines at all? Or was that an exaggeration?

I didn't realize that either till it was pointed out in, I think, one of the DVD extras.  But I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

10 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Besides, the way elves seem to age backward (as we also saw with Elrond) was a bit distracting.

:lol4: 

I didn't realize that either till it was pointed out in, I think, one of the DVD extras.  But I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

:blink: Was there a reason given? Like, a joke on the poor actor?

As I recall, they just thought it'd be interesting to have one silent dwarf, perhaps to help differentiate them (as though Bombur weren't distinctive enough already!).

• Thanks 1

Ooooooookay. Perhaps they got confused and thought they were making Snow White? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Perhaps they got confused and thought they were making Snow White? 

Well, in all fairness there *are* a lot of dwarves, so the confusion would be understandable.  Was there a silent dwarf in the Snow White movie?  Maybe Bashful?  He didn't say much at any rate.

• Like 1

Brace yourself … it was Dopey. Poor Bombur, like it's not bad enough just being Bombur, now he's Dopey Bombur…..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brace yourself … it was Dopey.

Well, duh!  Now I feel really, uhh, dopey.  :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2013 at 11:54 AM, SH/LotR/Zelda Fan said:

Yeah, I will post on my phone, but I will definitely ask for some time on my laptop quite often (my mum still kind of "rules my life", so yeah. I am only 10).

On 7/22/2013 at 2:52 PM, Caya said:

You're 10? And yet you do all that number-crunching and morse-code theorising about IOU in the other thread?  :blink: 

Well, that settles another forum discussion. The third Holmes isn't Sherrinford, Mycroft and Sherlock got a baby sister ;).

Wow, good going, Caya!  They hadn't even mentioned "the other one" yet when you wrote that, right?

Must say, I miss Zelda (who is presumably in her mid-teens now).  Hope she'll come back for a visit someday!

• Like 1

Yep, that was before S3 let alone 4 ... but given Harriet Watson, it wasn't that hard a stretch. :smile: Zelda is probably busy finding a cure for Alzheimer's or decoding alien signals or something like that by now.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2014 at 3:39 PM, Arcadia said:

Oi, you need to read Farmer Giles of Ham. And Tolkien himself said he had "a passion for dragons."  Smaug is rather charming, in his dragon-ish way. Too bad he eats people. :)

On 5/5/2014 at 3:54 PM, Arcadia said:

Farmer Giles is great, really worth reading. VERY funny.

I've been re-reading this thread, and just came across those posts.  So I went looking for Farmer Giles online, and found what seems to be the complete text here.  I'm already up later than I intended, though, so I'll check it out tomorrow.

Yup, good little story.  Not what I'd call laugh-out-loud funny, but whimsical for sure.  And I like the ending.

• 2 weeks later...

As I may have mentioned already, there's a terrific answer (which I heartily recommend that you read if you're interested in Hobbit meta) to the question of why there are scarcely any females even mentioned in The Hobbit:  Very briefly, Bilbo is shy (which is frequently demonstrated in the book), so it's perfectly plausible that (like a lot of shy guys) he's extra-shy with females, to the point that their presence scarcely registers with him.  So they're hardly ever mentioned in his memoirs (AKA the Red Book, which we know as The Hobbit).

Therefore -- maybe Jackson didn't make up Tauriel after all -- maybe she really *was* present in Mirkwood and/or at the Battle!  (I still draw the line at Lake Town, though.)