The Hobbit (the Jackson films)

It would take a lot more than that to get me to accept Tauriel, lol.  I don’t even like how much Arwen was in the LotR movies, especially when she usurped Glorfindel’s role, who I was really looking forward to seeing.  I suppose they felt that more focus on the Aragorn/Arwen romance was essential, but it felt more like filler to me, and I couldn’t wait for those parts to be over so we could get back to the adventure.

• 5 months later...
On 10/7/2018 at 8:24 AM, Arcadia said:

I read somewhere that someone edited the three movies down to a two hour movie. That, I'd like to see (although I think three hours would be more appropriate.)

Would you settle for four hours and twenty minutes?  Alex found a good distilled version online, here:

http://www.maple-films.com/downloads.html

Alex says you need to download a special app before you can download the movie.  Then the actual download takes quite a while, of course, and takes up nearly ten gig on your disc (it's hi-def), so make sure you've got room for it before you start the transfer.  They also specify that you must own a commercial copy of the movie before you watch the truncated version, but we've had those for years (both regular and extended).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 9:59 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Would you settle for four hours and twenty minutes?  Alex found a good distilled version online, here:

http://www.maple-films.com/downloads.html

Alex says you need to download a special app before you can download the movie.  Then the actual download takes quite a while, of course, and takes up nearly ten gig on your disc (it's hi-def), so make sure you've got room for it before you start the transfer.  They also specify that you must own a commercial copy of the movie before you watch the truncated version, but we've had those for years (both regular and extended).

Have you actually seen it? I mean, just imagine if they thought all the orc bits were the best part, and trimmed out most of Bilbo's scenes.....

• Tongue 1

43 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Have you actually seen it? I mean, just imagine if they thought all the orc bits were the best part, and trimmed out most of Bilbo's scenes.....

I said it was good, didn't I?   :P   Yes, we watched the whole thing, and it was lovely.  (I see absolutely no reason to sit through the orc-infested trilogy ever again.)  I was a bit leery, kept dreading some upcoming scene or other, then relaxing a bit later when I realized we were already past that point.  There were only a few orc bits (those crucial to the actual plot), and a few elf scenes (maybe one more than absolutely necessary), plus of course a good bit of the obligatory battle.  In short, it was mostly a whole lot like the book.  I need to watch it again sometime, to purge my mind of the memory of those other scenes (I keep telling myself they were merely bad dreams).

You do need something with a lot of storage capacity for the download.

I suspect neither my underpowered laptop nor my friend's erratic internet are up to the task, but we'll see. 

54 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I suspect neither my underpowered laptop nor my friend's erratic internet are up to the task, but we'll see. 

Check how much unused disc space you have available before you start.

This might be a good time to enlist the aid of your favorite computer geek.  Ideally, you'll want the movie on its own removable media device (DVD, flash drive, etc.), in which case you might not need to worry about your computer's disc space, but finding one that holds ten gig might (?) be tricky.