The Hobbit (the Jackson films)

Well I think this movie deserves a thread of its own, seeing as both of our wonderful Sherlock stars are to feature in it!

Here is a Hobbit for your delectation:

Posted Image

So, just how much are you looking forward to this?

• Like 2

I want to see it so bad it hurts. I loved reading that when I was a kid <3 Freeman as Bilbo......So my prayers after I saw Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy have been answered! Patience best virtue ever.

• Like 1

I don't think there are words for how much I'm looking forward to this film - and not just for Martin and Benedict! I'm seriously wanting to see Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown for a start.

Edited by aely
  • Like 1

I don't think there are words for how much I'm looking forward to this film - and not just for Martin and Benedict! I'm seriously wanting to see Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown for a start.

So happy for Sylvester, he seemed like such a nice bloke when I met him!

let me see if i can get this right.

Sherlock/Being Human/ Almighty Johnsons/Robin Hood

this movie is a whose who of amazing fandom people :D

... this and its second part may be the only films I might actually go to the premiers of....

Do you mean the world premiere (in New Zealand)? Or the first showing in your area? Or ... ?

I've always been sensible and waited a few days, till the crowds thinned out a bit, but I'm determined to go to the very first local showing of this one. In fact, I'm hoping that some theater around here will have a showing at 12:01 a.m. on December 14th, because that audience would consist almost entirely of people who specifically want to see this movie (rather than just a movie).

It happens that I was born very close to December 14th, so I have been driving my dear husband crazy by referring to The Hobbit as [gollum voice] my birthday present! [/gollum].

Here's a different picture of Bilbo (looking at Sting) that I've cropped to the proper aspect ratio for wallpaper on my computer. I'm not sure where it occurs in the story, but it's also in the trailer.

post-111-0-25515800-1340763984_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

OK, that worked!

Here's one that must be somewhere in the chapter with the spiders (note all the cobwebs).

To bring up a larger image of either photo, just click on the thumbnail.

These are both cropped so they'll stretch nicely to fill a 12" W x 9" H screen (or anything with the same aspect ratio). And I've made sure that the most interesting stuff is a bit toward the right, because I keep my icons in two vertical columns at the left edge of my screen.

If anyone would like help installing either of these (or a photo of your choice) as your wallpaper, I'll do my best, though we'll need additional help if you're running anything other than Windows.

BTW, I've also made a couple of Sherlock wallpapers. If anyone's interested, I can start a thread somewhere for those.

post-111-0-74275300-1340764618_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My husband just pointed out that his laptop has a much wider screen than my (very old) desktop. If someone can tell me what's considered the standard aspect ratio for computer monitors these days, I'll be glad to re-crop those two photos appropriately, and post them as alternatives to the above.

16:9 is fast becoming the norm these days, (Having said that my laptop runs at 1280 x 800 which is 16:10)

And Hex still uses a very old fashioned 1280 x 1024 - well, the monitor does at least.

Edited by aely

OK, so far we've got 12:9, 16:9, 16:10, and 10:8. I just checked my husband's laptops too, and they fit right in -- 16:9 (work) and 16:10 (home).

Any other aspect ratios out there?

Well, I just learned how to use more features of my image software! (Way easier than the method I used in cropping those first two wallpapers.)

Here's the first Bilbo picture, cropped for the four aspect ratios we've been talking about. If you mouse over each image, you'll see the file name, which includes the aspect ratio (using what appears to be the industry-standard name):

16:9 (width divided by height = 1.777...)

16:10 (width divided by height = 1.6)

4:3 (width divided by height = 1.333...)

5:4 (width divided by height = 1.25)

Again, if there are any problems, or if you need any help with this, please let me know!

post-111-0-53493400-1341257011_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-36936000-1341257051_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-95508600-1341257078_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-64985200-1341257105_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Principal photography seems to have completed recently, and several of the big names appeared at Comic-Con in San Diego this past weekend. If you want to read (lots!) more about that event (including rumors of a third Hobbit movie), all you have to do is Google < Hobbit "Comic-Con" >.

I just ran across a very nice write-up by one attendee, who focuses on Martin Freeman and Bilbo:

Martin Freeman OWNS the role of Bilbo in the first Hobbit clips!

No surprise there. :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I want to see it so bad it hurts. I loved reading that when I was a kid <3 Freeman as Bilbo......

Speaking about Freeman as Bilbo, I can't imagine that anyone could possibly fit in this role better than him. He's so...hobbity! :) Maybe it's something about his ears?

What do you think?)

I certainly remember being remarkably unsurprised when I heard he'd been cast for the role of Bilbo, he just seems right for the part!

(I wonder if he has large hairy feet? :lol4: )

Oh, I do realize that) Though I wish they were, Sherlock would've created an awful lot of jokes about Watson's ears, and I bet it would've been even harder for him to find a girlfriend. However, his real ears had reminded me of hobbits before I found out he was to play Bilbo :)

And about hairy feet...the director and the crew should've checked every hobbit actor for that, so I think yes, he has) I can even imagine this casting. And now I wish I didn't.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Empire magazine's September Hobbit issue has FINALLY shown up in the local Barnes & Noble, and presumably in their other stores here in the U.S. (My apologies for not posting this a month or so ago when it hit the newsstands in the UK.)

In addition to the Hobbit cover

Posted Image

and the two-page photo that opens the article

Posted Image

there are several other photos, plus interviews with Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking about Freeman as Bilbo, I can't imagine that anyone could possibly fit in this role better than him. He's so...hobbity! :) Maybe it's something about his ears?

What do you think?)

Cuase he's short and cute XD

We went to a movie last night, and on the way out I noticed a small poster standing in the middle of the lobby -- for The Hobbit! There were a couple of young fellows looking at it, so I stopped and exchanged a few words with them. One of them had apparently talked with the theater management, and had been told that yes, there would be a midnight showing.

Whee!

• Like 1