The Hobbit (the Jackson films)

They call it HFR here and they show it, too... as I just found out. I'd never heard the term before and didn't know what it meant. Thanks! Learned something new again here.

Oops, sorry!  As you presumably know by now (but some other people may not), it stands for High Frame Rate, meaning that the movie runs at 40 frames per second rather than the usual 20 (with the human eye able to detect around 60).  The difference is most notable when the camera pans rapidly -- there's a lot less blur than in a regular movie -- but it also feels a lot more "real" overall.

HFR seems to be shown only in 3D, which is a shame, because I'd be interested in seeing it in 2D, just to know how much of the different "feel" is due to the HFR and how much to the 3D.

I saw it in 3D (had to, because that was the only OV). I did have trouble with blurry images in some scenes, but then my eyesight isn't terribly good, so maybe it was me and not the technology.

/>

HFR seems to be shown only in 3D, which is a shame, because I'd be interested in seeing it in 2D, just to know how much of the different "feel" is due to the HFR and how much to the 3D.

I'm not sure with HFR, but with "RealD 3D" when you need 3D glasses you can take the glasses off and it just looks 2D.

Also I don't think I've said this (school has been eating me alive recently), but I saw DoS on Saturday...(then I freaked out to my friends on Skype and one of them (jokingly) threatened to kill me if I did it again :D) because when I was watching it and just after I'd watched it I enjoyed it sooo much, but the next day or so when I had calmed down a bit and thought about it, it didn't seem anywhere near as good as LotR, and there were lots of bits which I actually didn't like. Most of it was very CGI. Personally, I liked all the fighting although there was a lot (I think it's something to do with being 10 years old :)).

My husband likes all the fighting too, and he's a lot older than ten!  :D

Thanks for the 3D-without-glasses tip.  Didn't realize that'd work -- will give it a try.

I think most men appreciate fighting scenes more than I do. But my problem with those in this movie wasn't their mere existence and length, but that I just couldn't see what their point was. I think violence (like sex, too) in stories should serve some purpose for the plot or for character development - illustrate somebody's ruthlessness or bravery or will to protect something for example.

I think violence ... in stories should serve some purpose for the plot or for character development - illustrate somebody's ruthlessness or bravery or will to protect something for example.

Right.  I have no quibble with meaningful violence (within reason).  But the purpose that most of the violence in DoS seemed to serve was demonstrating that elves are good at hacking the heads off of orcs.

Been there.  Seen that.   :zzz:

• Like 1

Sherlockology has posted their in-depth review of Desolation of Smaug, along with several pictures from the movie, including this stunning close-up of the dragon:

tumblr_inline_mxyjfdrzo01qjn7nd.jpg

Read the entire review here.

• Like 1

Thank you Carol, for posting this review. :)

So, finally I've seen DOS yesterday, and I must say that I loved it. I have some minor complaints about the unfinished CGI, which were very noticable in some parts of the film (for example in Mirkwood). I loved the opening scene in Bree, how Gandalf and Thorin met. (Did anyone noticed PJ walking from right eating a carrot? :) ) Smaug was absolutely stunning! Benedict did a wonderful job, his voice is incredible perfect for the dragon. I also liked that the creators has changed the dragon's head a bit, it's no more a crocodile-like shape, than in the first trailer.

Before watching the movie I felt that inventing a non-Tolkien character, Tauriel would ruin the film, but now I am thankful for PJ and Co. that they created such a loveable female character. She is more 'human', than all those self-important, cold, selfish high-elves.

I have some minor complaints about the unfinished CGI, which were very noticable in some parts of the film (for example in Mirkwood).

Could you give me a specific example?  I'm afraid I didn't notice anything like that.  (It was about 1 a.m., so I may not have been in top form.)

Before watching the movie I felt that inventing a non-Tolkien character, Tauriel would ruin the film, but now I am thankful for PJ and Co. that they created such a loveable female character. She is more 'human', than all those self-important, cold, selfish high-elves.

I like her too, so far.  Now that I've seen this movie, I'm wondering whether Jackson's decision was sparked more by wanting an active female character (the official explanation), or by wanting a girlfriend for one of the sexy dwarves.  But either way, it requires a non-Tolkien character!

The Rolling Stone web site has an interview with Martin Freeman, mostly about The Hobbit.  Here's a promising tidbit:

What should viewers expect from the final installment next year?

For those that are conversant with the book, they can expect to see everything that's in there. For those that aren't, there's still two and a half hours of thrills and spills and all that. There's a lot more to happen, relationship-wise, between me and the dwarves and Gandalf – Bilbo grows even more as a character. I'm making it sound like thirtysomething. Imagine thirtysomething, but with swords.

I have some minor complaints about the unfinished CGI, which were very noticable in some parts of the film (for example in Mirkwood).

Could you give me a specific example?  I'm afraid I didn't notice anything like that.  (It was about 1 a.m., so I may not have been in top form.)

Before Thorin and Co. enter MIrkwood, there is a shot from above as they are riding on their ponies. It looks like in a video game, the colours are not natural, their movement is really weird. I watched in 2D 24fps. 

My question:

Why did Thranduil's face change when he spoke to Thorin? Watch this.  

Before Thorin and Co. enter MIrkwood, there is a shot from above as they are riding on their ponies. It looks like in a video game, the colours are not natural, their movement is really weird. I watched in 2D 24fps. 

I'll watch for that next time we see it.  Right now, I can't really remember that exact bit.

Here's  a fairly recent interview with Martin Freeman about the humor in this second film, among other thing.

Thank you for posing this, Carol! Facebook had this but it was a smaller picture. To be able to see Freeman and Cumberbatch side by side in the ensemble is really cool.

I'm not sure with HFR, but with "RealD 3D" when you need 3D glasses you can take the glasses off and it just looks 2D

I tried taking off the glasses during the HFR 3D showing, but it made things look less sharp -- so not the same as seeing HFR 2D.  Too bad.  Thanks again for the suggestion, at least I got to try that.

My question:

Why did Thranduil's face change when he spoke to Thorin? Watch this.  

Oops!  Forgot to watch for that.  Didn't notice it, though.

As for your question -- I was wondering the same thing!  Weird, huh?  There's nothing like that in the book, as far as I can see.

Here's an informative review of Blockbusters: Hit-Making, Risk-Taking, and the Big Business of Entertainment, a new book by Anita Elberse -- with the author's take on why movie-makers are increasingly focussing on big-name stars and special effects (at the expense of silly things like character development).

Saw a recent conan interview of Ben's. He apparently learned about reptiles, bats and he has actually played smaug in it and not just given his voice. Using motion capture, he played smaug and he walked like a reptile. This is just so awesome.

It was posted somewhere early on that BC just did a voice over for Smaug in an interview he did after that comment was made he said he had to work some ******* hard in that roll. It wasn't just his voice that went into that him playing that part. I think I am finally going to be able to see it this weekend.

There are links earlier in this thread to photos here and here and (a short video) here of him doing the mocap.

Quoted from another thread:

The Hobbit actors are going back to New Zealand in May for pickups for TABA. 

Nesbitt confirmed that he is returning to New Zealand in May for the filming of the third 'Hobbit' movie.

Source. 

So I'm not sure about Benedict, but Martin has to go back to NZ. Hopefully it won't take long, maybe 2-3 weeks. 

Jeeps, I thought he was all finished.

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
After importing several posts from another thread, added quote to clarify response