International Sherlock Holmes Day

We would like to announce the creation of International Sherlock Holmes Day! A holiday by Sherlock fans, for Sherlock fans. International Sherlock Holmes Day (ISHD) falls on the 22nd of May, as this happens to be the birthday of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Celebrate by reading Sherlock Holmes books, watching Sherlock on TV, watching a Sherlock Holmes movie, dressing up in a costume, solving a mystery, etc.

• Like 4

Celebrate by reading Sherlock Holmes books, watching Sherlock on TV, watching a Sherlock Holmes movie, dressing up in a costume, solving a mystery, etc.

So this will be different from any other day how? :lol:

Welcome to the forum, SherlockHolmesDay :wave:.

• Like 6

Hello, SherlockHolmesDay -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:  Good idea!

I just checked the internet, and it seems that there are a few other International Sherlock Holmes Days -- January 6th of course (Holmes' supposed birthday) and February 21st, alias 2/21 -- though that must be an American idea, since in the UK  it'd have to be January 22nd, alias 22/1.

But hey, could there ever be too many Sherlock Holmes Days?

• Like 1

welcome sherlockholmesday,

I think there should be one day only where we can celebrate the day properly.... I think different competitions should be arranged on that day... like Deduction..... Participants have to deduce from given clues and pictures....... there are infinite possibilities............

• Like 2

I think there should be one day only where we can celebrate the day properly.... I think different competitions should be arranged on that day... like Deduction..... Participants have to deduce from given clues and pictures....... there are infinite possibilities............

I agree completely. There are many ways to celebrate, and if we had one proper holiday it would be perfect. I think May 22nd makes the most sense, since it is Sir Arthur Doyles birthday.

• Like 1

That is a very cool idea. I do think we should it on 22nd of May. I feel this is the most significant day as the creator of Sherlock deserves this. If the entire world can celebrate Christ on the day he was born - Christmas. So should we.

First of all there should be a lot of of puzzles. I am guessing that we should be given a plot, evidence found and photos. All of this should be uploaded on Sherlock Holmes Day. In the next 24 hours people will read the mysteries and then post their hypothesis. In the next couple of days these hypothesis will be read by the creators of the mystery and graded on a scale of 1-100. Also posting what they had intended and their general comments. The people will also grade the mystery.

We all have more than a month to plan these mysteries so its quite affordable. Let's try it out. depending on the success we can have it next year too.

What are your thoughts fellow Sherlockers ?

If you think it's a good idea we can start discussing the dynamics.

Also, Thank you Parv.

• Like 4

Welcome to the Sherlock Forum, sherlockholmesday!  What a wonderful idea and you have already spurred a lot of interest and discussion. I would love to see these ideas fly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

@Professor Farnsworth

I like the idea of everyone posting their mysteries to be solved. Perhaps the night of May 21st we could create new forum section for Sherlock Holmes Day mysteries. Then everyone who wants to post a mystery can create a new thread for it.

I myself am not much of a writer, so I hope some other talented people on the forum can come up with some great mysteries!

• Like 3

Well if they're unsolved criminal cases, there'll be no solution, which strikes me as an exercise in frustration ;). How about some nice, obscure criminal cases instead?

• Like 1

Cold cases are being solved all the time, but I catch your meaning, Caya....but wouldn't it be beyond cool if we were, as a collective, actually able to do something like that?

• Like 1

Cold cases are being solved all the time, but I catch your meaning, Caya....but wouldn't it be beyond cool if we were, as a collective, actually able to do something like that?

That would be amazing. I've often wanted to do something like that, but I always find the incredible lack of clues to be too discouraging. Perhaps as a whole, however, we would stand a better chance.

• Like 1

The real challenge would to be able to find a case where we could get our hands on every smidgen of evidence. Every picture, every eyewitness account...every fingerprint...what ever. Nothing left out or left behind.

• Like 1

Probably not too many of those out there.  And even if we had all the evidence collected by the police at the time, we might be missing the key piece.

Wondering if we might be better off with some made-to-order fictitious cases?

• Like 1

Even so, I wonder how we can replicate this over the Internet. The CSI Experience had crime scenes like this, where you could note all the evidence and then compare fingerprints, do handwriting analysis and such - was really fun. But I wonder how well that would translate into a written medium without a graphical interface ... yes, there have been parser games of that nature (don't remind me of The Hound of Shadow) but I found them less than ideal.

I think we could either dig up some adventure game (preferably one of the Holmes variety) and all start playing it together on May 22, or we could do this in the manner of pen&paper RPGs, meaning one GM prepares the scenario, posts the basic scene and then answers questions (a fully interactive parser *g*).

Or someone could post the beginning of a detective story, and we have to supply the end, complete with whodunnit and how.

There could be a prize (eternal fame and glory) for the most original solution, the most logical solution, etc.

• Like 1

Will there be a prize for the most plot holes?

• Like 3

The best thing to do is to use our imagination. Make up anything that requires the skills of observation and deduction. It could also be sequence although it is a ridiculous idea and nobody will enjoy it. On the day the creators would post their mysteries, everybody PM's their solutions the mystery creators, after 24-hours the creators stop accepting solutions and post how the case should have been solved. I basically repeated what I said in one of my earlier posts but I wanted to confirm this as our common ground.