Star Wars

Caya

In other news, Benedict Cumberbatch wasn't just being evasive when he said he's not in the new Star Wars film, he really isn't.

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
Split off from a non-Star-Wars-related thread.

Harrison Ford, ... Carrie Fisher, Peter Mayhew, ... Anthony Daniels, Mark Hamill, Andy Serkis, ...

Yes!!!  :D   And the article mentions that Kenny Baker will be back as well!  And John Williams is doing the music!  Seems like J. J. Abrams knows how to do a reunion properly.

Wonder who Andy Serkis is playing?

True!  I believe Yoda died in Episode VI, but maybe he'll be back as a ghost.

Who knows, they might even have Serkis playing a human.  It's happened before!

One would assume that J. J. Abrams (working in the sf/fantasy genre himself) is familiar with Serkis's role as Gollum.  So yes, I would assume that he's been cast as some sort of odd humanoid creature.

Frank Oz has been Yoda's voice and puppeteer in all the Star Wars movies to date, but (except for voices on Sesame Street) he seems to be retired now.  Of course, a new Star Wars series might be enough to coax him out of retirement.  But if not, Serkis would be an interesting choice to replace him -- especially if they decide to do the character by motion capture, instead of as a puppet.  To be honest, I would prefer to see Oz return for Yoda, and Serkis doing some other character.

Added:  I had forgotten that, even though Yoda was a puppet in the middle trilogy (i.e., the original 3 movies), he was a computer-graphics character in the first trilogy (i.e., the prequels) -- though I believe that Oz still did his voice.  Just setting the record straight.

To be honest, I would prefer to see Oz return for Yoda, and Serkis doing some other character.

Oohhh..okay, I didn't know that the original voice actor was available if....as you pointed out....they did even have Yoda on screen. I'm sure who or what ever he plays he'll do a great job.

What I find odd is that (apart from Max von Sydow, of course, and Domnhall Gleeson via Harry Potter) I have hardly heard of any of these actors ... granted, I'm not much of a cinema freak, but still. The optimist in me hopes that means they got up-and-coming folks because they wanted them to sign multi-film contracts, so we'll get another trilogy or two (but please, pretty please, one in the style of ep. IV to VI). What makes me hopeful, too, is Lawrence Kasdan being on the team again.

• Like 1

Are you talking about the new cast members?  (Of the returning cast,I would assume you've heard of Harrison Ford, at least -- even if you've never seen any of the Star Wars movies.)

Yeah, obviously I didn't mean the returning cast. Was happy, in fact, to read that Kenny Baker will be among them, I dimly remember reading somewhere that he had health troubles. Glad he's fine and on the team :smile:.

OK, I wasn't sure whether you'd seen the prior movies -- if not, you'd have less reason to recognize some of those names.

I figure it's a big enough coup to get all of the original cast back (apologies to fans of Lando Calrissian, Jabba the Hutt, et al.).  I didn't recognize any of the new names either, except of course Von Sydow and Serkis.

Very true.....but I keep hearing Gollum in my head....and Yoda's voice is not far off.

Oh great, now I've got Yoda in my head going "Use the Force, prrrrrecious...." :)
  • Like 4

It's a pleasure to serve. :P

• Like 1

May the fourth be with you!

To celebrate, here's a funny Wars vs Thrones gif (spoiler-tagged because of Game of Thrones spoilers):

aOenemZ.gif

• Like 3

One things for certain, whatever JJ Abrams does there will be hatred aplenty from one quarter or another. I fear the die-hards won't give these movies a chance.

Very true.....but I keep hearing Gollum in my head....and Yoda's voice is not far off.

Oh great, now I've got Yoda in my head going "Use the Force, prrrrrecious...." :)

Something in his pocketses. the young padawan has.. Hmmm???

• Like 5

Well he's got one advantage there, he can't do much worse than Jar-Jar, now can he? And no, that was not a challenge :lol:.

eta: Or the pod race. Man, I'd almost suppressed that memory :rolleyes:.

• Like 1

One things for certain, whatever JJ Abrams does there will be hatred aplenty from one quarter or another. I fear the die-hards won't give these movies a chance.

If you're defining "die-hard" as someone who won't be satisfied with the Star Trek reboots until Gene Roddenberry comes back from the dead and screws them up himself, I'm sure you're absolutely correct.

Speaking of which, I just ran across an internet article entitled "How is J. J. Abrams Going to Ruin Star Wars? Let Me Count the Ways."

... everyone loves Star Wars, except for the people who really love it, who tend to hate it.

The whole thing is worth a read (even though the author is a heartless bastard who hates Ewoks).

• Like 1

Thanks Carol! Though I must admit I not only liked the Ewoks a lot but also the whole film they appeared in. What's to hate about a happy ending?

• Like 3

I just found the Imperial troops getting their collective butts kicked by an army of teddy bears ultimately hilarious. ;)

Tough little teddy bears!

Smile when you say that, human.

-- Wicket the Ewok

• Like 1