Which one to buy

Convict13

I've read some of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, but I have never owed any, and there are so many versions to buy.  I would like to get them all and in the correct order,  I've been on Amazon and Book Depository and there seems many different ones out there to buy, my question is, do you own the "complete" novels and short stories and is there one set that you would recommend?  

Thanks,

Hello,

I have this on my Kindle- it is all the original stories and books and is not expensive. I have been re-reading them- I first read them about 50 years ago. 

http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-Complete-Stories-Volumes-ebook/dp/B000QCS8YM/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1399091922&sr=1-3&keywords=Sherlock+Holmes

Hope this helps.

~joan

• Like 1

If you have a Ereader, you can get them free on there....or at least cheap!

Don't know where you live, but charity shops often have the books over here...and you can get fairly cheap copies in regular book shops.

• Like 1

I have a fairly large "Complete Sherlock Holmes" hardcover that somebody gave me as a present once. It has the original illustrations in it, which rather bothers me, because the characters don't look like I imagine them at all. My first Holmes book was a penguin classic paperback of The Hound of the Baskervilles, very simple, no annotations or illustrations or anything.

As far as I know, the copyright has expired on most of the Doyle stories (at least where I live, I understand there are some particularities in the US), so they are available online all over the place.

I think my favorite collection is the one I used to borrow from the public library. It was a paperback in two thick volumes that had the stories and novels in the order they were published in and a very funny, affectionate introduction.

• Like 1

There is actually a whole website devoted to answering this question, but alas I can't seem to find it again. Maybe you'll have better luck? Sorry I can't be more help.

• Like 1

I'd say it partly depends on your reading habits.  I rarely read the only complete set that I own (my father's Baring-Gould annotated), because I like to hold what I'm reading (and it's really too big for that) and I get so distracted by the annotations (most of which don't even interest me particularly) that I can't get into the stories.

I was starting to think that I didn't really care for Conan Doyle's Holmes stories, but then I came across my father's copy of The Adventures (a much more manageable-size volume with no commentary or illustrations), and found myself enjoying them a great deal.

• Like 1

I usually just buy every version I lay my eyes on! :D But if you're looking for a whole collection, I have noticed some on Amazon. 

• Like 1

I do like paper books, so will one day purchase a set, but I found this link in the meantime, which seems to have every one (or almost every one) of his books for free and in the correct order, and not just the Sherlock Holmes series.  Thought I would share for others.  

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/d/doyle/arthur_conan/

• Like 1

I usually just buy every version I lay my eyes on! :D But if you're looking for a whole collection, I have noticed some on Amazon. 

That's the problem there are so many,  I read the reviews, but I thought I would come 'straight to the horses mouth' so to speak, and see what you all have and what you like and dislike about it.  

• Like 1

Well the stories are always the same, whichever form they're in and you should read them all.

If I was rich, I would definitely want the Baring-Gould annotated version.

But I have a cheaper collection, which at least still has original art work.

I also have the modern, paper back set which feature forwards by the BBC Sherlock team and also BBC Sherlock art work covers.

I have a couple of other copies which I have been given my colleagues/family.

• Like 1

Well the stories are always the same, whichever form they're in and you should read them all.

If I was rich, I would definitely want the Baring-Gould annotated version.

But I have a cheaper collection, which at least still has original art work.

I also have the modern, paper back set which feature forwards by the BBC Sherlock team and also BBC Sherlock art work covers.

I have a couple of other copies which I have been given my colleagues/family.

You mentioned the BBC ones,  I think they wrote their own versions into Books too?  I think.   You are the second person to mention the Baring-Gould version, I might have to look that up, will not be able to afford it, but it costs nothing to look.

You are referring to a few different things:

1.  There is a set of paper back Conan Doyle novels, which have BBC covers and introductions by Mark, Steven, Martin and Benedict.

2. There is ' Sherlock: The Casebook', which is the official release by the BBC and I highly recommend it.

3. My complete works is the 'Wordsworth' edition...it's very pretty!

• Like 1

You mentioned the BBC ones,  I think they wrote their own versions into Books too?  I think.   You are the second person to mention the Baring-Gould version, I might have to look that up, will not be able to afford it, but it costs nothing to look.

As Bev said, the BBC merely reprinted the Conan Doyle stories with their own covers (photos of BC and MF as Sherlock and John) and a foreword by one of the cast or crew. (I do wish they'd publish the shooting scripts, and Moftiss have said they might consider doing that.)

I inherited my father's Baring-Gould, which I use primarily for reference. I find it somewhat disappointing, since it tends to focus on things like what year the story must have taken place, rather than explaining things that actually puzzle me, like Victorian vocabulary. There's also a more recent annotation by Klinger, which I have heard good things about but have not seen.

3. My complete works is the 'Wordsworth' edition...it's very pretty!

If that set is still available, could you post a link (e.g., to Amazon)? I have several of the Holmes novels in Wordsworth's trade paperbacks, which I bought second-hand and like very much. They are full-size, sturdy books without being bulky, and have nice color illustrations on the covers. The type is clean and legible.

I've just been through Amazon UK and I can't actually find my edition there, but really, there are tons!

• Like 1

The trouble is knowing which ones are the nicest -- by my personal standards, of course.  (And I don't think that brick-and-mortar stores generally carry complete sets in stock.)  I guess that's what the Amazon customer reviews are for!

Used book and even thrift stores are treasure troves. I have the paper back and even hard cover editions at such places. I got the Baring-Gould set for a real good price. I have made friends with a couple who run a local book store and because I am a regular and a member of their discount program I got the Klinger set for a good price as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the complete set from my Mom as a gift - she got it off of Amazon for the fairly reasonable price of $8.41 for all four novels and fifty-six short stories in two volumes. I believe the stories are in the order Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote them.

One word of caution is that the font isn't overly large - I'd say it's about 12 to 11 points - I don't know if that would be a problem or not. 

As far as quality of the books goes I'm very pleased with them. They've held up very well, and I have yet to notice any typos in any of the stories. There are no illustrations.

here's the link to their page on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sherlock-Holmes-Novels-Stories/dp/0553328255/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401155423&sr=1-1&keywords=sherlock+holmes+-+complete+collection

The product is sold by Amazon directly, and they do have them currently in stock.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for pointing out that set, Watlocked -- and welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

One review says the set is "nicely indexed."  Can you give us an idea of what's indexed?  For example, if I'm trying to recall which story a certain character is in, or which story features a particular object, would the index tell me?

• 4 months later...

I want to get the complete stories with the original illustrations, in books that are easy to carry and read standing up and the font clear enough even when the lighting isn't bright enough. Looked around Amazon and the comments confused me a bit.

From what little I've seen, the Paget illustrations are available mostly in the big heavy volumes.  You might have a look in used-book stores and book mega-stores when you're in the UK.

I also want to buy the original ACD Holmes stories, and since I'm very fond of goodlooking books on my shelves, I'm looking for a complete box. But at the same time, since I also want to read my books, I don't want one 2000 page edition but several books with not too flimsy paper and not too small fonts. So far my favourite is this edition. Does anyone of you know this edition and could tell me what he or she thinks of the quality? Since I saw on a customer picture on amazon.co.uk that the font size seems to be easily readable, I'm particularly interested in the quality of the paper since that is most often what I criticise about English books?

Hello, British Dedective -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

Do you know the names of the stories you have not been able to find?

Hello and welcome to the forum, British Detective! :wave:

If an e-book will do, the University of Adelaide is your friend. Otherwise, as Carol said, we'll need details.