CBS's "Elementary"

Undead Medic

It's a no win scenario. :lol4:

Isn't it always, with all this trying to keep everybody happy when doing new shows?

But then they would have been accused of "Rampant Misogyny" and "Pandering to the heterosexual male fascination with woman on woman action" If even the slightest trace of subtext had been evident. It's a no win scenario. :lol4:

Lol! Hey, what about the lesbians and bisexual women? :naughty: Don't they deserve some representation on TV without making it all about pandering to male fantasy? It's not fair to deprive the ladies their little pleasure just so we can keep the men in check. If the guys go all crazed-fanboy over it... just think of it as an unfortunate side effect, rather than a desired outcome.

• Like 1

Now if they'd cast somebody female who I like as much as I do Lucy Liu, in the Holmes role, I would have been very happy.

Edited by aely
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first glimpse of "Elementary"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yrDVSxNycKc

I'm still dubious...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been dreading the series myself. What I have come to understand is that CBS came to the producers and creators and people at BBC working on 'Sherlock' asking for the rights to do an American version, however they said no and CBS went ahead and did one anyway.

My friends and I decided we're just going to watch it when it comes out on Netflix so as not to increase their ratings. Like Steven Moffat said, they changed it too much.

Edited by deducingtoconclusions
Merged into pre existing topic.

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

... its like they're standing up and proclaiming "Look It's different, See... Nothing like the BBC version, honest!"

Can you blame them? Moffat has been quoted as threatening to sue if they use anything from Sherlock that's not also in the Conan Doyle stories. Since Sherlock does not have a female Watson, "Joan" could be used as evidence of their good faith.

I just get this feeling of "oh, for the love of everything, could an American network come up with something new?" Which I guess is a bit unfair, cos every so often they do come up with new ideas, but they are so few and far between (and get canned so quickly)... *sigh*

See my comments on commercial television, below. "Same" = "safe" = happy sponsors = happy network shareholders

Also, there does seem to be a rule, whatever Carol likes gets cancelled (starting with Star Trek, as I recall). So maybe you can blame me (the television albatross). Added hastily: Of course, that jinx applies only to American television (*knock on wood*).

I keep being told that it is because "British shows are not made with American sensitivities in mind", make of that what you will...

There are multiple factors at work. For example, virtually all American TV is paid for by advertising. Now matter how much PBS wants to be thought of as "the American BBC," it's gradually gone commercial, out of financial necessity. Cable TV also used to be ad-free, because it was supported by subscribers, but now even cable has ads (in addition to subscription fees). So the advertisers (or PBS "supporters") must be kept happy, meaning nothing that might offend anybody.

Also, there's the bad-language factor. Sherlock has mild enough language to run on PBS, but it would be literally illegal to show The Office on American broadcast television (which may be why it didn't also run on PBS, but rather on BBC America, which is cable, and therefore has laxer rules).

I repeat: this is stupid. How can you betray something on this manner!!! I fume at the very thought!

Isn't that what they said about Sherlock?

Edited by Carol the Dabbler

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting link, Carterofmars -- now if only I actually knew French!

Hubby saw an ad for the premiere of Elementary during a football game today. It'll be Thursday the 27th. What the heck, might as well check it out.

Interesting link, Carterofmars -- now if only I actually knew French!

Hubby saw an ad for the premiere of Elementary during a football game today. It'll be Thursday the 27th. What the heck, might as well check it out.

That link contains a video of the complete pilot episode of Elementary.

• Like 1

Oh. :) In English, or dubbed in French? (I still have dial-up internet access, so there's no way I can actually watch it online -- just curious.)

OK, it let me watch it but the quality isn't great so it would definitely need another watch.

From what I've seen, I quite like it but then I don't really have a Sherlockian background and I'm certainly not going to be comparing it to BBC Sherlock (as there is no comparison). A few things jarred a little, but I actually find Lucy Liu's Watson wasn't really one of them.

OK, it let me watch it but the quality isn't great so it would definitely need another watch.

From what I've seen, I quite like it but then I don't really have a Sherlockian background and I'm certainly not going to be comparing it to BBC Sherlock (as there is no comparison). A few things jarred a little, but I actually find Lucy Liu's Watson wasn't really one of them.

The quality is not super high. But hey, what can we expect for nothing. ;)

I had the same felling about Joan Watson. I was expecting to find myself annoyed with the character, thinking PC was going to play a prominent part of this series; that yet remains to be seen.