Benedict Cumberbatch in Mansfield Pk (BBC Radio)

Convict13

Oh my god. Oh my god. Mansfield Park is my favorite Austen novel. Oh my... take a deep breath.

Okaaaayyy... can somebody tell a dumb German girl if there is any at least half way legal way she can listen to this? Please? Thank you.

Okay, forget my last post, because the dumb German girl discovered that unlike BBC TV programs, radio is available for non-British users as well.

I am a bit disappointed this is not the original text, but as far as I can tell so far, it's very well written. Now, don't anybody tell me which character got The Voice - I want it to be a surprise... :P

Ignorant American here -- So this is a radio play based on an Austen novel?

Yes, that appears to be the fact exactly. And like every other adaptation I have ever come across, they seem to have found it necessary to make Fanny and Edmund more "fun", thus taking away something vital from the original story, in my opinion. *Sigh*... I wish they'd just have The Voice (I am sure you know whose I mean...) read the novel out loud. All my favorite novels, actually - that would be heaven... *Sigh*... 

But this is not at all bad! Thanks for the link!

• Like 1

Ignorant American here -- So this is a radio play based on an Austen novel?

Yes, that appears to be the fact exactly. And like every other adaptation I have ever come across, they seem to have found it necessary to make Fanny and Edmund more "fun", thus taking away something vital from the original story, in my opinion. *Sigh*... I wish they'd just have The Voice (I am sure you know whose I mean...) read the novel out loud. All my favorite novels, actually - that would be heaven... *Sigh*... 

But this is not at all bad! Thanks for the link!

His voice is not so deep though I noticed. 

Mansfield Park I think was Austen's favourite of her novels, not mine though, I like Pride and Prejudice and then Sense and Sensibility the best.  

He's really a very good voice actor. I have to admit I didn't even recognize his voice and I had to look up the cast to find out he is in fact Edmund. How did he do that? He sounds like Edmund should, nice but a bit dull and there is no hint of the thrilling undertones that send shivers round a million of female Sherlock fans' backs... Amazing.