EvigMidnat

What Death is preferable above all others?

Ok, so i know i'm gonna get labelled little miss morbid here. but I was wondering what you guys thought?

CSI:NY gave me the idea, but I got thinking, Sherlock knew what was coming, he accepted it. but would you?

if you could pic a death be it form, location, or at whose hand what would you decide?

fictional deaths = getting killed by an angel in dr who. Relive your life in a peaceful way while it drains you......I want to die like that please XD

for me I think being shot in the head would do it. Quick death please.

Anything quick and painless, I would say...

• Like 1

so ingenharbormaster and Banshee agree with Dt Mac Taylor from CSI:NY his response to what death is preferable above all others was "the unexpected"

• Like 1

if this world was like it was, in the Edwardian/Victorian/renaissance i'd say a Duel, something involving swords and honour and something worthy or a good tale being told about it

Our dear Sherlock looked as if he pondered it long and hard (in the time he was given) before leaping.

Although he did not meet his true end it appeared to all watching (including me) that it was a very hard decison.

I'm with you, besleybean! Seems like most of us are pretty well agreed regarding our own actual deaths. Wimps, one and all!

Some are making a distinction for fictional deaths, though, and for those I have divided preferences:

1. For villains -- a quick (though not necessarily painless) death -- just get 'em out of the way -- or something more elaborate, if it serves a purpose.

2. For heroes -- something noble, like Sherlock's fall to save his friends (which could have ended in his real death, if he or one of his helpers had miscalculated just a bit).

3. For everyone else -- same as for myself.

i hate the idea of dying in my sleep, its too easy, after all the fight to survive this s*** I want something Honorable yes, but quiet, no way

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light," eh?

exactly,

Delenn always went on about candles going out too quickly in Babylon 5 and it made me not want to stand there and take it

Like most people I'd like to fall asleep and not wake up around my 100th birthday, yet the smallest part wants to go out in a hail of bullets fighting until my last breath. But I have a feeling I wont live till my 100th birthday or go out in a hail of bullets, it's quite a strange feeling!

But I know I'm going to have one hell of a time before then! *laughs*

• Like 1

a friend of mine and I once made a pact that when we reach the age where we remind people of our grand parents, he's going to challange me to a dual on the shores of Loch Sheil and neither of us are gonna win, he was gonna have the sword of a Roman centurion and i was gonna use the sword of a Celtic warrioress.

but that was years ago and we never wrote it down or signed anything so I dunno

I hope I never remind anyone of my grandparents - my 2 grandmothers were dotty in a not good way, my mother's dad was a womaniser and left his family before my mum was 2 years old and then died before I was born, my dad's dad was generally not a nice person (dad takes after his mum who was apparently lovely before dementia stole her mind).

I don't actually mind being a mad old lady (I'm currently a mad middle aged one) as long as it is in a good way!

I think just about everyone's goal is to avoid ending up like their parents! My mother's mother was never the same after her hip broke, so Mom is really religious about taking mineral supplements -- and her eyesight is failing, so I'm religious about taking anti-oxidents.

I'm also intrigued by the controversial idea that some of the current dementia epidemic is caused by cholesterol deficiency (cholesterol is an essential nutrient, especially for nerve tissue), so I'm reasonably careful to eat my two eggs a day.

I'm more of the opinion that the current dementia 'epidemic' is caused by people living longer who usually wouldn't and better diagnosis of mental health issues. I don't know about the USA but the hospital population in the UK is generally a lot sicker and older than it was in the 80s, people live who wouldn't have stood a chance back when I started my training.

As for ending up like your parents, I'd have no problem ending up like my dad (he's 82 this year and plays cornet in 2 brass bands) but I won't end up exactly like my mum as I don't have the same issues (she's most likely Aspergers, but has never been officially diagnosed).

Dying in your sleep. Not choking on breakfast cereal like my grandmother did.

Honestly, what stupid hospital nurse tries to feed a 97-year-old lady Weetbix an hour after she has a stroke? The official verdict is that grandmother died of a stroke on the 28th of November, 2011. I reckon it was death by cereal.

My condolences. When my husband had a stroke three years ago, they wouldn't let him take anything by mouth -- not even a sip of water -- for two days. He was only 50 at the time, and was having no obvious mouth or throat problems. Just routine.

Speaking of stupid nurses (and let me first make it clear that I know plenty of the other kind), a friend's mother had just had a heart attack. A nurse came into her room that very evening with a bottle of magnesium citrate (I think that's what it's called), that industrial-strength laxative that they use for cleaning you out for a colonoscopy, and told her to drink it. She said but I just had a heart attack. The nurse didn't even double check, she just said it was doctor's orders -- so my friend's mother stupidly went ahead and drank it. Fortunately, it didn't kill her. Apparently the nurse had the wrong room. The doctor was NOT happy!

*looks at Carol and Shangas' stories*

WTF?!!!

Shangas - I share your disbelief, I can't get my head around someone doing that! Horrible experience for your grandmother and the whole family.

Carol, in the UK a nurse could be struck off the register for that!

Nurses do make mistakes - I have done, none of us are perfect, especially given the conditions under which we work (in the UK) - but those are the sorts of things that are really basic. I'm especially gobsmacked at the heart attack one, due to working in cardiology myself.

I would like to be looking at the ocean at the time no matter the cause. Maybe in a bed getting ready to simply fall asleep for the very last time. That would be nice.

*looks at Carol and Shangas' stories*

WTF?!!!

Shangas - I share your disbelief, I can't get my head around someone doing that! Horrible experience for your grandmother and the whole family.

Carol, in the UK a nurse could be struck off the register for that!

Nurses do make mistakes - I have done, none of us are perfect, especially given the conditions under which we work (in the UK) - but those are the sorts of things that are really basic. I'm especially gobsmacked at the heart attack one, due to working in cardiology myself.

My grandmother comes from a line of very long livers. According to my dad, my great-grandmother didn't die until she was 101, or something like that. Gran might have lived to 100 if not for the cereal.

That said, though. Gran was suffering terribly from advanced Alzheimer's disease. So going at 97 was probably a relief.

How do I want to die?

Battling in Middle-Earth to defeat Sauron would be nice, but impossible...

Fighting to save Zelda would also be cool, but just as impossible...

I can't think of a way that is possible and that I want...just falling asleep seems a bit dull (and predictable)...

I'll probably read this post when I'm like 50 or something and think "Whyyyyy?! I was so weird..."

• Like 1